Lift question

rgallant

New to the pathfinder world, ended up with a 97. As I wanted a manual choices were limited.

My question is for the lift are shocks and struts a requirement, or can you get away with just the springs ?

I am in the Pacfic Northwest, so dodging through logging road cross ditches and wierd washouts are my main issues, along with the odd :) creek / river crossing.

Thanks.

Yes you can do just springs.

Most people replace the struts at the same time because it's the same amount of work either way (not because it's required).

tru dat and if the struts/shocks are that old...and your replacing the springs...you might as well do it all and enjoy the wonderful new ride.

Unless everything is OkieDokie...

Tye

I'd say if you're doing that kind of driving, then you should replace at least your struts with KYB GR-2's. You'll blow the old ones in a few moths if you do alot of irregular driving.

Jose

go with the KYB-GR'2s, they are the best fit for the R50

Except they aren't an exact fit. They are missing the bracket to hold the ABS sensor wire out of the way. But they do have a captive nut on an ear in the same area. I had to cut the sensor wire holder off my original struts and drill a hole to mount it on the GR2's. See last pic http://colinnwn.blogspot.com/2007/12/installing-suspension-lift-on-my-2001.html

Edited by colinnwn

Except they aren't an exact fit. They are missing the bracket to hold the ABS sensor wire out of the way. But they do have a captive nut on an ear in the same area. I had to cut the sensor wire holder off my original struts and drill a hole to mount it on the GR2's. See last pic http://colinnwn.blogspot.com/2007/12/installing-suspension-lift-on-my-2001.html

actually...i just replaced mine last month...they were the EXACT same...every bracket, hole, notch IDENTICAL. I would swear they were the originals from factory.

Tye

actually...i just replaced mine last month...they were the EXACT same...every bracket, hole, notch IDENTICAL. I would swear they were the originals from factory.

Tye

Same here. I did mine a couple months ago and they were exactly the same. No difference at all for brackets/fittings.

Edit: Here are some pics. Don't have a close up one of the new one on the truck, but as you can see, they are the same.

Old strut:

oldstrut.jpg

New strut:

newstrut.jpg

Edited by Northernpathy

Same here. I did mine a couple months ago and they were exactly the same. No difference at all for brackets/fittings.

If you look at yours and mine again, you'll notice your old strut is exactly like my new GR2 (have a captive nut on the bracket), which are not like my old strut that has a bent ear and fork to hold the ABS sensor wire. Your captive nut bracket looks like it is holding another brake line instead of ABS wiring. Do you have ABS? Is that your power steering line, or is it a visual trick and it really is the ABS sensor wires?

I got my 2 inch lift springs, GR2s, and RS5000's all at the same time from Automotive Customizers. And I told them I have a 2001.5 Pathfinder SE. I checked my invoice and the part numbers looked right. I didn't try to check part numbers on the part. I don't think they asked if I had ABS or not, so if they gave me the wrong struts for the application, it was their fault. Though they also advertised the RS5000's as fitting this application, and that is very incorrect information. So it wouldn't surprise me if they sent me the wrong part.

If you look at yours and mine again, you'll notice your old strut is exactly like my new GR2 (have a captive nut on the bracket), which are not like my old strut that has a bent ear and fork to hold the ABS sensor wire. Your captive nut bracket looks like it is holding another brake line instead of ABS wiring. Do you have ABS? Is that your power steering line, or is it a visual trick and it really is the ABS sensor wires?

I got my 2 inch lift springs, GR2s, and RS5000's all at the same time from Automotive Customizers. And I told them I have a 2001.5 Pathfinder SE. I checked my invoice and the part numbers looked right. I didn't try to check part numbers on the part. I don't think they asked if I had ABS or not, so if they gave me the wrong struts for the application, it was their fault. Though they also advertised the RS5000's as fitting this application, and that is very incorrect information. So it wouldn't surprise me if they sent me the wrong part.

That explains it all. AC is known in some cases..of providing incorrect application information...including the Rs5000 issue. They post RS5000s as appropriate for the R50 and despite Rancho themselves confirming they ar not...AC insists on misrepresenting that. Highly likely AC screwed you up. Beyond that...their prices for KYBs are much higher than many other places including tirerack.com.

One thing to note is is that I did not order the struts from 4x4parts. Was cheaper in price and shipping to order them locally (since I would have had to pay brokerage/customs fees coming over the border). I only ordered the coils and the bilstein shocks (since I didn't know the part number of the shocks to be able to order them locally). But many people have ordered the struts from them without problems.

So yeah, they might have sent you the wrong ones.

Either that, or the ones on your truck were replaced at one point with the wrong struts and someone made them work. And the new KYB's that 4x4parts sent you are the correct ones.

Has anyone used this product ?

4 Inch 96-04 Pathfinder / QX4 Lift Kit by Krypton

Or is it very new, had my nice new rims and tires put on the other day and have one dead bump stop in the rear. So I will need to deal with the rear springs sooner rather than later.

or the ones on your truck were replaced at one point with the wrong struts and someone made them work. And the new KYB's that 4x4parts sent you are the correct ones.

The struts on my truck were OEM, and the little rubber boot around the ABS sensor wire was very clearly designed to fit into the strut fork bracket that I cut off and used on the GR2s.

As far as piste saying GR2s are much higher at AC than other places, when I bought them about 3 years ago, as I recall they weren't more than $20 for the pair over tirerack or any other place I found online through google product search. I didn't bother trying to source them locally to compare.

The struts on my truck were OEM, and the little rubber boot around the ABS sensor wire was very clearly designed to fit into the strut fork bracket that I cut off and used on the GR2s.

As far as piste saying GR2s are much higher at AC than other places, when I bought them about 3 years ago, as I recall they weren't more than $20 for the pair over tirerack or any other place I found online through google product search. I didn't bother trying to source them locally to compare.

GR2s for my 97 SE are ....$61 per strut on tirerack.com...$79 per strut from 4x4parts....that's 30% higher...or $36 less for the pair on tirerack.com. To me that puts 4x4parts.com "much higher"....

Add Strut Insulator & Strut Bearing, as well as camber bolts to your list!

If you put anti-sieze on those strut bolts you will love yourself a few years from now! Same goes for end links...anti-sieze is your friend on a Nissan!

Edited by 02silverpathy