hidden snorkel

skulptr

so i got bored, and sick of my intake dead ending above my tire, so i started piecing 2" abs pipe and fittings together until it came to what it is now. my biggest challenges are how to strap it down near the windshield (it kinda flops in the breeze), and what to do about the gaping hole around where it passes through the fender. i know fukinitupagain did one, and i'm curious to hear from others some other ideas for finishing it, and what to do about the fender, i didnt really care about it since its already mashed up from the wreck, just a test fender anymore.

on a side note, the way i did it, fits under the splash guard inside the fender, and its clear of the strut tower. if anyone wants pictures inside the fender, i can post some tomorrow after work

08152010122.jpg

08152010121.jpg

Edited by skulptr

And the bonus is that now you can set up a loo on your roof rack... :D

JK Bud!! Are there any threaded holes under the trim you can tie off to?? If not, you'll have to put screws into the sheet metal. I've seen stand off clamps for securing piping along a wall in hardware isles, so that may be an easy way to go. :shrug:

B

And the bonus is that now you can set up a loo on your roof rack... :D

JK Bud!! Are there any threaded holes under the trim you can tie off to?? If not, you'll have to put screws into the sheet metal. I've seen stand off clamps for securing piping along a wall in hardware isles, so that may be an easy way to go. :shrug:

B

:rofl:

Ah, B... :lol:

i'd be worried about the position of hte intake, gonna fill up in a good rain.

Needs to point down at a slight angle so water cannot just go right in.

+1. Angle the top down, like a spout. That way it'll stay dry. ;)

Good job. A nice coat of matte black paint would be a good finishing touch. :aok:

that top piece is a street 45 degree angle, not attached more than slip on, so i can turn it/add/replace as i go. right now i'm not worried, we haven't gotten much in the way of rain in a while. was thinkin about running it along the entire roof line and turning around the back of the rack, as to not take in too much water when going through puddles, and to keep it from getting buried in snow. i'm expecting 7ft or more this year, gonna have to be careful to dig out the intake port before starting up. so much for my remote start, forgot about it... :headwall:

precise, are you thinkin taking a straight piece and just angle cutting the end like an exhaust tip normally is?

Edited by skulptr

precise, are you thinkin taking a straight piece and just angle cutting the end like an exhaust tip normally is?

Yes, pretty much. Two other thoughts are that you can extend that end piece farther back, still parallel to the roof and cap the end and slot the underside 1/2 of the pipe diameter and 4-6 inches long, sort of copying the Safari snorkel intake port. The second is that you can buy various snorkel 'hats' fairly cheaply that will keep rain and crap out too.

I've been looking at this a lot since I plan to have a custom snorkel fabbed, but I'm going with a metal pipe that I'll have a local exhaust shop bend for me. I'm going with an Australian forward facing intake with prefilter and water seperator.

Am I the only one who can see the snorkel?? I thought it was supposed to be hidden?? :D

:fish:

B

Am I the only one who can see the snorkel?? I thought it was supposed to be hidden?? :D

yeah, um, idk how much more "hidden" it can get lol unless you run pipe all the way under the body to the back or something ridonkulous.

Yes, pretty much. Two other thoughts are that you can extend that end piece farther back, still parallel to the roof and cap the end and slot the underside 1/2 of the pipe diameter and 4-6 inches long, sort of copying the Safari snorkel intake port. The second is that you can buy various snorkel 'hats' fairly cheaply that will keep rain and crap out too.

I've been looking at this a lot since I plan to have a custom snorkel fabbed, but I'm going with a metal pipe that I'll have a local exhaust shop bend for me. I'm going with an Australian forward facing intake with prefilter and water seperator.

:fish:

B

what does the water seperator look like? i've heard of them, but not sure how "enhanced" it is...

well heres the wheel well view, if anyone cares. it was the most, complicated-ish, part.

08182010126.jpg

Edited by skulptr

yeah, um, idk how much more "hidden" it can get lol unless you run pipe all the way under the body to the back or something ridonkulous.

I figured (from the title) you were just running it up the fender, but not out.

It's like a giant P-Trap in your fender! Looks good. For the fender, I would go get that rubber roof flashing that the pipe slips through and seals by itself. Attach it inside the fender and that will help that part. You could use like window caulk or something to smooth the outside part to keep water from pooling up there. Or you could put the flashing on the outside of the fender. Be a nice rubber square/rectangle on the outside of the fender. That wouldn't look too bad actually. Get some sealant under it and rivet it one (spray the rivets black). I like my second idea better.

As for keeping it from flapping, i say make a bracket that attaches to the roof rack.

Also, any pics of it attached to the air box at all?

Jose

Edited by 180sx

Am I the only one who can see the snorkel?? I thought it was supposed to be hidden?? biggrin.gif

I figured (from the title) you were just running it up the fender, but not out.

me too, mines hidden as in stops by the mirror and doesn't show

Edited by MY1PATH

if mine didnt come out, it would still drown, with my luck. at full flex it doesnt touch. it passes beside the strut tower. this is the best shot i have for now, when my camera's charged up i'll get some better ones.

08182010127.jpg

for the airbox out, i just used a piece of 2 inch pipe about 2 inches long, pushed what would go into the turn, then pushed the rest into the airbox inlet. fits like a glove. for the "p trap" i went the 90deg soft at the box, 2 inch piece of tube, another 90deg soft, then a 45deg connected by just enough pipe to couple them together. that seemed to make it slip right above the strut tower. took a little elbow grease to get the fitting thats at the outlet of the fender. the pipe isnt glued into that fitting just in case i need to pull it back out, and the p trap setup isnt glued into the box. everything else except the fitting on the roof is abs cemented together. took about an hour to do, plus i already didnt have a splash guard after running 33x12.5s for a while.

just an update, drilled a 3/4" hole, installed the grommet from the stock air box and the air temp sensor. trimmed the top piece, and painted it all flat black. i'm thinkin of dremmeling down all the numbers and oddball formations they have on the outside of the turn pieces.

08212010133.jpg

08212010138.jpg

08212010139.jpg

Good job.

08212010138.jpg

That should work just fine. WHen it is raining you may get some splatter but shouldn't be a big deal, not to maention the Germans used water injection in some of their fighters, you might get an added boost!! At worst, put a quick drain drain plug in the bottom of the P trap... :D

B

that was part of the purpose of the temp sensor. if it floods, theres an exit, we all know they dont seal well. i can cover the end of the snorkel, and she keeps on runnin, unless i move the throttle then it dies.