WJ Coil Spring Retrofit

shift220

No, not really, asits the same as the WJ coil. It will fit, but as Andrew said, it will be real tight and may make popping noises. I'm going to see if I can get a set and try it out.

Jose

I ordered a set of wj coils today. Going to be interesting. I went 6.5 in. I carry a lot of weight around with me in the cargo area and back seat for camping and hiking. So with that in mind I am expecting my new trim height to be 5 in. or 4. 5 in. I also went with Rancho RS9000Xl adjustible shocks for a 2001 F350. They fit perfectly and am more than satisfied with them especially the adjustibility part. When they say you can adjust the ride they really mean it in a noticable way.

Also working on a 4 .5 SFD lift. for the front.

I am using a high strength plastic for an adapter between the pathy lower coil perch and the first coils. Its UHMV and can be milled with a wood router. Cuts down on paying the welder man.

Ordered the Krypton Fab bolt-on perch adapters and they should be delivered in the next couple days (already went through Canadian customs and entered US mail).

I also ordered the 4" WJ lift coils with a spring rate of 190 lb/in. I'm hoping they will settle less and keep my tail end up when fully loaded for long expedition like treks. I'll post up photos of the install once I source my extended rear brake line.

Okay, so Pathfinders rear ends are way way easier than any XJ front or ZJ front/rear end I have ever done. I didn't even have to drop the panhard rod to get the ZJ springs in. However, I did use an XJ spring isolator in the rear, and the self tap bolts popped, therefore the springs would not stay seated. I will do some research and find out what others vehicles came with a 5" ID coil spring with a bit firmer spring rate as well as longer length. For those of you who are interested, the stock ZJ front coils gave about 4" of lift with the top ear of the coil cut off. Back to work to find different coils. Updates to come.

• 2 weeks later...

This information is beautiful!! Im on a college-kid budget, but want to lift my Pathy, so if this works, I would be ecstatic! Thank you all so much for your input and help! Please keep it coming! Can you tell me more about those perches? Also, will these type of coils work for the front end too?

• 1 month later...

so say i keep the stock springs on my pathy. could i in theory make your contraption a little taller to gain the height of the new springs you have so the truck will sit just as high as yours?

First of all, I have to thank Jason over at Iron Rock Offroad for his help in this project. He was kind enough to open up boxes and measure up springs for me.

The springs of choice for me were the 3" WJ lift coils.

WJ 3" coils spring specs:

4 5/8" I.D. approx.

6" O.D. approx.

15 1/4" free length if you cut off the pigtail

Spring rate: 175 lbs/inch

Here is how they compare to the stock springs

IMG_1832.jpg

You can see the little pigtails that the springs have. What I did was cut off both ends and ended up with a spring with the 4 5/8" ID.

IMG_1839.jpg

This worked perfect on the top where the spring sits in the body. I was even able to use the rubber isolator. Now on the bottom, the spring seat is to wide to fit inside the WJ coil. It did slip over with the weight on the wheels but you would hear a "boung" sound when going over bumps. Also, it sat 1.5" low compared to the front. So to fix this, I made some simple adapters and welded them to the stock perch.

IMG_1840.jpg

IMG_1843.jpg

This resulted in a perfectly level Pathfinder with the 4" SFD on the front. If I were to do it again, I would cut the pigtail off the top but leave the one on the bottom. This way, all I would need to do is weld a short piece of 3" pipe on the stock perch and the spring would sit right on there.

So there we have it, no more need for $300 custom springs. I consider the ride better then stock with the new spring rate as well.

these things you made for your jeep coils do they sub as the Wj coil adaptors they have in the kit from Krfabs.com?

First of all, I have to thank Jason over at Iron Rock Offroad for his help in this project. He was kind enough to open up boxes and measure up springs for me.

The springs of choice for me were the 3" WJ lift coils.

WJ 3" coils spring specs:

4 5/8" I.D. approx.

6" O.D. approx.

15 1/4" free length if you cut off the pigtail

Spring rate: 175 lbs/inch

Here is how they compare to the stock springs

IMG_1832.jpg

You can see the little pigtails that the springs have. What I did was cut off both ends and ended up with a spring with the 4 5/8" ID.

IMG_1839.jpg

This worked perfect on the top where the spring sits in the body. I was even able to use the rubber isolator. Now on the bottom, the spring seat is to wide to fit inside the WJ coil. It did slip over with the weight on the wheels but you would hear a "boung" sound when going over bumps. Also, it sat 1.5" low compared to the front. So to fix this, I made some simple adapters and welded them to the stock perch.

IMG_1840.jpg

IMG_1843.jpg

This resulted in a perfectly level Pathfinder with the 4" SFD on the front. If I were to do it again, I would cut the pigtail off the top but leave the one on the bottom. This way, all I would need to do is weld a short piece of 3" pipe on the stock perch and the spring would sit right on there.

So there we have it, no more need for $300 custom springs. I consider the ride better then stock with the new spring rate as well.

Those "adapters" I made the first time worked well but aren't easy to make. The KrFabs adapters are much simpler in design and that's why they are cheap. We could probably make a adapter/lift combo, but the WJ springs are readily available in different lifts.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...