Flushing your Frame

lint

I was installing new shocks today, and on a break I decided to look at the rear frame on my recently purchased (1.5 months ago) '95 Pathy. I was recalling a thread that mentioned keeping your drain (weep) holes clear in the frame to avoid the rust, so I went to check on them. HOLY @#$%! Looking behind the rear wheels, I saw this fine silty sand plugging my drain holes. So I grabbed my garden hose, threw on a nozzle and blasted water into those holes until they ran clear. I then looked under the passenger seats and found more drain holes and blasted those too, and under the driver's and co-pilot's seats as well. Then I did the whole thing over again 2 more times. Honestly, I'm gonna sweep up the mud when it dries tomorrow and weigh it. I cannot believe how much crap was inside of my frame. Another part of my maintenance program is to now flush the frame in spring and fall. I urge all of you to do it. Even if they look clean, you can stick your little finger in the drain hole, and feel if there is dirt inside. Flushing your frame keeps your ride happy.

I got lucky in the fact my previous owner undercoated religiously which saved the frame for the most part, there were about 3 places the size of my thumb that were seedy so I cleaned them up and boxed the frame in with 3/8's plate.

I rinse my frame regularry with just a regular end on a garden hose... jack the back up some and squirt in the back of the frame rail @ the bumper until all the drain holes have clear water coming out, then do it the other way (from the front duh), on ambisious days I jam the end of the hose on all the holes along the sides of the rails as well.

the inside of my frame has some sort of idono when you stick your finger in any of the holes and rub arround you get what looks like a mix of vasaline and dirt. not sure what it really is but I assume some sort of CPC...

the inside of my frame has some sort of idono when you stick your finger in any of the holes and rub arround you get what looks like a mix of vasaline and dirt. not sure what it really is but I assume some sort of CPC...

where are these drain holes u guys are sticking the hose in? i wanna do this tomorrow if some one replies back before the day ends tomorrow...

where are these drain holes u guys are sticking the hose in? i wanna do this tomorrow if some one replies back before the day ends tomorrow...

Put your hose into the holes the size of a nickle on the side of your frame. The water and crud will drain out from underneath your vehicle, from the drain holes. Enjoy.

Get one of these: http://www.staunproducts.com/bodybuddy.php

It fits right in the frame side holes and works really well. I flush mine after every offroad trip. I also use a garden fan style sprinkler under the truck to wash off the underbody.

That looks handy.

Anyone tried their corrosion inhibitor?

http://www.staunproducts.com/masso_329.php

Put your hose into the holes the size of a nickle on the side of your frame. The water and crud will drain out from underneath your vehicle, from the drain holes. Enjoy.

a lil dirt and crap came out.. not too much though..