Introduction and gear question

Heckraiser

Hi Everybody, my name is David and I drive a 1984 Toyota longbed pickup, solid front axle, lifted, locked, yadda yadda yadda. I'm looking to replace it with something with a back seat (but hopefully I can still sleep in the back). I've been around Toyotas for years, so my immediate thought was a 4runner, but my search has revealed a few nicely priced Pathfinders, so I did a little research and it seems like I've come up with a pretty good camping/wheeling rig. :)

And now for a technical question. I know this isn't the technical forum, so mods, you can move it if you see fit. I tried searching, but didn't really come up with what I was looking for.

Are there any aftermarket gears available for the h233 rear? As I understand it, my choices are either 4.3:1 or 4.6:1 depending on which truck I pick, but my ultimate plan is to do a SAS and run tires in the 35"-37" range and I'm thinking 4.6 probably isn't going to cut it for mountain driving. I'm trying to figure out if I need to do a rear axle swap as well (for a toyota, d44, ford 9" or something with more gear choices) before I get into the project. With toyotas you want 5.29:1 gears for anything over 35's, and shorter gearing suits my needs and driving style.

Any input would be appreciated. Nice forum!

Edited by Heckraiser

4x4parts.com has a couple of R&P choices for you. they are expensive but prolly less than doing an axle swap.

the H233B axle is about the same strength as a D44 and allota ppl run D30's in front from waggy's and cherokees.

https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/drive-train-ring-pinion-c-165_400.html

Edited by MY1PATH

The Pathfinder is a steal compared to 4runner in similar condition and it should be just as capable and reliable.

You would be well served to keep the h233b in the rear and swap in a d44 up front. You can get a Nissan h233b with disc brakes and a decent LSD or you can throw in a Lock Right, Detroit or ARB if you need a real locker. The most popular axle for the front would be from a 80-85 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. Make sure to grab one that does not have the vacuum disconnect. The cheapest route for gears would be to find a third member with 4.9 gears from a 00-02 Xterra or Frontier. You will only need to swap the side gears and spider gears to make it work with the older axle shafts (31 spline). If you need deeper gearing 5.14-5.88s for the h233b can be had for around $450-500. Matching gears for the d44 should be around $200.

Thanks for the info... I was having trouble finding gears online, but that 4x4parts link should do just fine. That's awfully pricey for R&P, but probably easier than finding a new axle. Looks like they have a 5.14:1 which should be close enough to run with a 5.13:1 front.

What is the width of a h233 rear WMS-WMS?

The most popular axle for the front would be from a 80-85 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. Make sure to grab one that does not have the vacuum disconnect.

I thought I would give better info here The jeep grand wagoneer axles from 80-91 will all work but avoid the 84 and 85 model as they are the ones with vacuum disconnect. So you should really be looking for a 80-83 or a 86-91.

Another option is the high pinion bronco dana 44. But you will have to swap from the knuckles out to keep the same lug pattern. I do not remember the years of this axle that you would need to use though.

Here is a axle data on the wagoneers

1974-1979 Wagoneer, front and rear dana 44's (some 1974-1975 had drum brakes) (rear 44 is offset to clear the fuel tank) (front is passenger side drop)

1980-1983 Wagoneer, front dana 44 and rear AMC 20 (it is NOT the weak 2-piece axle type like the CJ's) (front is drivers drop and remains drivers drop until the end of production in 1991)

1984-1985 Grand Wagoneer, front dana 44 and rear AMC 20 (front 44 has a vacuum axle disconnect, try to stay away from this one, swapping it out or removing it and changing the axle shafts is an easy fix though)

1986-1991 Grand Wagoneer, front and rear dana 44 (rear dana 44 is mostly centered - just a little offset)

Hope this helps.

Edited by BoneZ

Thanks Bonez. I just pulled up the info I had handy.

I'm pretty sure it's 59". If you went with a new axle you're adding a lot of unnecessary fab work to keep the 5-link or go with a 4-link triangulated. RuggedRocksOffRoad.com is also a good place to shop for parts. Oh yeah, Welcome to NPORA.

Edited by KovemaN

Thanks Bonez. I just pulled up the info I had handy.

I'm pretty sure it's 59". If you went with a new axle you're adding a lot of unnecessary fab work to keep the 5-link or go with a 4-link triangulated. RuggedRocksOffRoad.com is also a good place to shop for parts. Oh yeah, Welcome to NPORA.

Yeah, if I were to swap the rear end out, I would probably switch to leafs for simplicity's sake. I've had great luck with my 63" chevy springs, although I'm not sure there's room for them in the back of a pathfinder frame. But I guess it's a moot point. If I can get the gears I want for the nissan axle, I'll just leave well enough alone. :)

I'm excited to start shopping. Budget is $1,500 for the truck and $1,500-$2,000 for the build (not including tires, but I'm sure that number will grow when I actually start hacking it up). Wish me luck!

Edited by Heckraiser

whats up welcome to the site im pretty new to nissans too i was in the same boat you are in but i have a 85 efi and needed more room and what not but yeah this site has good info on pathys

Here's another question for you guys: how big of a difference is there between the multi-port fuel injection and TB fuel injection? Should I hold out for a 90+ pathfinder, or is the difference pretty negligible. I live at high altitude, so I can use all the power I can get. :o

i have a tbi setup and it does okay but i do feel it struggle a little when i go down or up a little hill climb but your yota is carb so i think either one would be good for where your at but depends on if you want mutli of tbi

Also about the Front axle options. I'm not 100% on this cause my memory is terrible but I'm sure one of the options posted about has a Oil Pan Clearance issue requiring you to modify the oil pan. In fact I'm almost positive cause I recall reading Datz's SAS with the Bronco Radius Arm setup and he had to make some modifications.

Here are some links to some Awesome rigs to get some idea's off of. All with some different SAS styles.

Datz

Steeevo's Sweet set up

Nissan Nut. King of the 3 links.

AK9849cy's Old Red. RIP perfect pathy.

And I notice your from Colorado. If you want to get involved with Nissan's man and you're from there, Then you really need to become a member of Ronin Wheelers. Ryan Gee on that forums is AK9849cy and know's his stuff more then any other I've seen when it comes to working on Suspensions for our beasts. I've been tempted more then once to drive to Colorado with IFS and coming home with a Solid.

I can say this man. When I was looking for an SUV ages ago I wanted a 4 runner. Toyota's hold their value so well that it just wasn't affordable for me. For a fraction of the price I bought a pathfinder and haven't looked back. On my 3rd now. first 2 I got rid of in another province since it was going to be more expensive to try and safety it to meet the factory specs when you do an out of province inpection then it would be to just buy another one. Just do your homework before you buy. There's a few things to look out for like all vehicles.

Good Luck.

Oh ya...

And here's some Eye Candy of my Personal Favorite of Ryan's Work with his 35's on.

AK9849cy044.jpg

AK9849cy045.jpg

AK9849cy046.jpg

AK9849cy047.jpg

AK9849cy048.jpg

AK9849cy050.jpg

AK9849cy049.jpg

AK9849cy051.jpg

And hands down the image that inspires me daily.

FuturePathy.jpg

Edited by Dowser

Here's another question for you guys: how big of a difference is there between the multi-port fuel injection and TB fuel injection? Should I hold out for a 90+ pathfinder, or is the difference pretty negligible. I live at high altitude, so I can use all the power I can get. :o

There isn't too much power difference between the two (5-8hp IIRC), but the MPFI runs a little cleaner and more efficiently, and from a resident Nissan/Infinity mechanic, the MPFI are much easier to trouble shoot.

B

... I've had great luck with my 63" chevy springs, although I'm not sure there's room for them in the back of a pathfinder frame...

Plenty of room for 63's. Shackles may be to far back for some people. However, try and keep the rear stock as there is so much potential with it.

mookie2.jpg

Dowser, who is Ryan and where can I find out some more info on his wicked rig?

He's in Colorado. That's why I posted the Ronin Wheeleres forum in my first post. Ryan Gee is his name on Ronin and he went by AK9849cy on a lot of other forums. The Pathy is dead and gone now. He had plans to go bigger, put in a internal cage and he bobbed the body by the rear doors so that the little window right after our rear door window, the one still on the rear door not the one after the rear doors, was after the front doors. If that makes any sense. His Fabrication work is amazing as far as I'm concerned. Not sure why in the end he ended up scrapping the project. perhaps after he got the Hardbody and the X to play with, which are serious rigs as well now, he just let it slip away. At any rate, there was a LOT of custom sort of stuff he was doing with it. Hell even the Body lift was modified to be 3 in the back and 2 in the front. Not sure how much he remembers now since it was a few years back and he works on stuff everyday.

• 4 weeks later...