very confused, mechanic says my timing belt is metal?

zelix

just got my safety inspection done, and my belt has been in for 6 years and the rubber belts suppose to change every 4/160k km? right

but the mechanic i was talking to and who did the safety says he also owns a 1995 pathfinder and says that the timing belt is metal, and to not worry about it until it starts making noises....

What my timing belt is metal?

anyone else have any input on this??

If he happens to own a 4cyl Pathfinder (which I don't think was an option anywhere in 95) or perhaps a diesel Pathy, then he is right... it's a chain. But your V6 has a belt and if you wait until it makes noise, then you might as well get a replacement engine ready to drop it now wink.gif

Directly from the 1995 FSM:

Timing belt (VG30E engine only) - Replace every 105,000 miles (168,000 km)

If he still says otherwise (about your V6 engines timing belt), send him our way :D

x2 there. Our 3.0 v6 engines (tbi AND mpfi ones both here...) have timing belts the 4 cylinder motors have metal timing chains

Edited by nunya

If he happens to own a 4cyl Pathfinder (which I don't think was an option anywhere in 95) or perhaps a diesel Pathy, then he is right... it's a chain. But your V6 has a belt and if you wait until it makes noise, then you might as well get a replacement engine ready to drop it now wink.gif

Directly from the 1995 FSM:

If he still says otherwise (about your V6 engines timing belt), send him our way :D

yeah thats what i thought, so there is no specific amount of years to go in between belt changes? just milage? i always thought it was 160k km/4 years

Well time wise it's kind of a judgment call really. Mileage/km numbers assume you drive it normally. If it has been sitting for years, then it is usually a good idea (sure can't hurt) to change the belt, no matter the number of miles/km's, before firing it up.

Well time wise it's kind of a judgment call really. Mileage/km numbers assume you drive it normally. If it has been sitting for years, then it is usually a good idea (sure can't hurt) to change the belt, no matter the number of miles/km's, before firing it up.

well without going to check my odom, i believe the belt was changed at 180k in 2004 by previous owner and now have 266k in 2010 meaning i have put 86 k on it, think the belt was changed a little earlier like 170ish kms tho.

Today actually is my 16th birthday and i just got my license, bought the truck 3-4ish months ago, just been driving with parents.

im surely poor and happy to have my parents paying insurance.

is the belt good to go to the recommended change at 160 k km's on it? that would give me probably 3 more years of driving.

If in doubt, changing it is the best course.. then you know for sure when it was last done, and what odometer reading it will again need changed.

If money is tight you can take the chance and push it until then, or until you can afford it (which ever comes first) Doing just the belt is certainly possible, if the tensioner is in good shape then you don't "have to" change that. If only the belt is changed it brings the price down to practically nothing (assuming you do the work yourself) But adding the extra for at least a tensioner and ideally a water pump is best.

And remember that the life of the belt is from the last time it was changed, not a set odometer reading. If it was changed at 180,000 km or even the "earlier" 170,000 km that you mentioned, it was done late :togo: If you can get paperwork that shows exactly when it was done, I would do that :aok:

Now if your going to push it, then I personally would knock 10-15% off of the earliest estimate of 170K And restart my count there.

Just remember, that a few bucks saved now (by not changing it asap) could end up costing a lot more later.

yeah the belt also has a time, but thats mostly for the in-case its been sitting situation. even if the belt isnt use and isnt being worn down the rubber can still degrade over time. anyway some Nissan's will have the milage of when the belt was last changed either in the engine bay or in the drivers manual, just depends on the last mechanic that did it. If your unsure of when its done then i just say do full maintenance on it so you get everything done. i say full maintained because if your gona change the timing belt you might as well change all the other belts sense you be pulling them, and change the water pump sense it will be right there after you pull every thing off the front of the engine. I did all my belts and water pump my self for about $150, just buy a chilton or get a mechanic friend to help you.

you have to treat it as it's a vehicle you just bought, if you don't know when it was done last, just do it. With the write up on here just get the parts and follow the writeup, it isn't that hard to do.

I know y'all will chew on me for this one but I have never replaced the water pump and idler pulley when changing a timing belt even the ones where the timing belt drives the water pump. I have replace the belt when changing a water pump if I had to take it off. I did mechanic work for 17 years and never had an idler fail after changing the belt. I never owned a shop so I was just doing what the boss said. I don't do it on my personal vehicles because I don't mind taking it back apart if I have to but still never had a problem.

James

Also man. Pay very close attention to what I'm saying right now. If your Mechanic knows you have a V6 VG30E Engine in Your Pathfinder, and says its a Chain, stating he knows it is cause he has a pathfinder, then not only should you be looking for another mechanic but you'd be better off looking at these 2 threads, and giving it a go yourself. I've done it 3 times on my own and an attempt to change on another with the Aid of Simon when I had absolutely NO experience what so ever. If I could do this job, anyone can and you're money is better spent elsewhere. Besides... you're still young at 16 and have nothing but Time on your side. Tackle this job yourself and it will empower you in a way you've never thought of.

here's 2 links. One to a very good how to article, and the other a Video. Timing belt talk starts on page 3, and read the whole thread before jumping in cause it will help you to avoid pitfalls.

Good luck.

DoctorBill's Timing belt Extravaganza (Thank you DocotorBill for such a great how to thread for others.)

Swapdip's informative video.(Thanks Swapdip for a humorous video showing the simplicity of timing belt changes.)

FYI

The recommended timing belt change interval is 160,000km or 4 years. Last year I changed the belt on my 95 with 157,000km on it, but 14 years on the belt. I was paranoid about the age... The belt actually looked quite good but this a California car (temperate clime, no road salt, etc). Next time would I stretch it out?? No, I'd change the damn thing and not worry about it for another 160,000 km... ;)

Also, there was one member who replaced the timing belt and didn't change everything. 1 week later the coolant bypass hose broke and it all came apart again and installed a new belt (coolant is bad for the rubber). Same scenario, different person and the thermostat. Another person put off changing their belt for a few weekends. It broke and they trashed their top end.

These are the exceptions, not the rules. :shrug:

B

also don't forget if you do it yourself and have a problem we are all here for you, I know it's frustrating when you run into a problem and you run to get online to come on here looking for an answer and no one is on, been there done that, so for you, if you want it I will give you my cell number and feel free to call if you run into something you can't figure out.