K&N or similiar air filter onto MAF question

ahardb0dy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i used the stock tube from the TB to the MAF, then the adapter to a 90 deg. turn the the filter. but ihave a small whistle now, anyone kow what it could be from?

Edited by jeremyelvis

i used the stock tube from the TB to the MAF, then the adapter to a 90 deg. turn the the filter. but ihave a small whistle now, anyone kow what it could be from?

I have a slight whistle when I use a tiny touch of the go pedal with my cone filter, goes away as air velocity increases.

oh yeah

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=26957

Its the whole cone filter philosophy...that is precisely why all the rice rockets use em, the sound...

If you don't want the whistle, put the air box back in. It is part of it...

(If we are talking about the same thing. LOL)

mine had the whistle when I first put it on, but it went away, think it wasn't tight enough, I never noticed any whistling when I had the K&N on my V8 dakota, I will say that with this filter on my PF on wide open throttle IT IS LOUD!!!

thanks will check it out tomorrow, I already have 3 K&N filters here, a 3" inlet I had on my V8 dakota, a 2.5 inlet I used on my 87 hardbody as a pre filter and the K&N Apollo kit I haven't taken out of the box yet, that is the one I plan to use as you can run the inlet pipe anywhere you wish to bring in more cold air and the entire filter is enclosed, pic below:

Going back to the K&N Aollo, I found a much more affordable alterantive that I am seriously considering using @ some point.

http://store.spectre...9833/2231.0.1.1

cheaper, smaller 4x10 instead of 9x9?(we don't draw that much CFM) and uses one clamp to seal it instead of a bunch of bolts. The filter istself is washable and oiled like a K&N. (don't over oil your filters, thats why most ppl have issues with them)

I found a guy that used one here,

http://www.naxja.org...=1026480&page=2

looks like a pretty good deal.

t350_1e8282f8cd8cb1986d5500780ca5e03c.jpg?1258044061vsApollo-Direct-Fit-425x425.jpg

Edited by MY1PATH

That's pretty interesting, the cost doesn't bother me as I got it as a gift but if I had to buy it myself than it would be an option, plus it is smaller easier to find a place to install

Just because the subject of CFM got brought up, What do our engines draw out of curiousity?

thats a good question the stock cherokee 4.0 draws 375 so proportionally I'll say 280 ballpark untill I find a solid article.

(the spectre allows 450 and the apollo was not listed)

*goes to dig thru w/d21 & NA 300zx archives*

no luck but I did find this;

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Carb_CFM_Calculator.html

now vg30 capable of reving 7000rpm @ 2960 displacement and assumed 75%VE would require a 275CFM carb or up to 350 CFM with higer %VE

So yeah I'm a say 300cfm is the very maximum you would expect a stock vg30 to draw and maybe 350 for the 3.3

Edited by MY1PATH

Wouldn't the CFM change with the RPM?

yes it would and cfm requirement is usually based on cfm drawn at redline or at just above the intended shift point

So I am going to do an oldskool trick...and rig up a 12v ultra high CFM fan to my intake....lol a ghetto turbo...

been there done that and as you can see I don't have it anymore.

Good luck getting a fan that blows over 300 CFM

Wow, they really do come out with new stuff every day. I have seen the C02 units that spray directly onto the intercooler of turbo charged vics to cool the air charge, but that is a different (but not) concept...

Neat.

I guess thats not to bad asside from having 8 bolts to undo each filter cleaning.

and hey u got it free right?

I think its funny you used a spectre adapter when they make the compeeting product I was talking about.

thanks, it cost my wife about $100 a few x-mas's ago, the Spectre coupling is all the local auto parts store stocks, want to replace the accordion pipe next hopefully moving the filter out of the corner so I can use the fresh air intake pipe before the filter.