K&N or similiar air filter onto MAF question

ahardb0dy

Yea, one of these days I will take out the accordion as well. Just hadn't had time I guess...too much going on...I like the look of that filter, but does it not restrict air flow? Is that not the point of using a spherical cone filter?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what exactly is this supposed to do?? I always thought it was there to reduce the sound of the air flowing thru the filter but when I flipped this part over and saw the way it is made and the fact that it doesn't even flow from one end to the other ( I ran water thru it to check), I was like WTF??

2uoj59e.jpg

It *is* designed to reduce intake noise. Its likely intended to smooth out an intake resonance. Because the pathfinder's intake is relatively short, its there to reduce noise, or increase power or both.

And what exactly is this supposed to do?? I always thought it was there to reduce the sound of the air flowing thru the filter but when I flipped this part over and saw the way it is made and the fact that it doesn't even flow from one end to the other ( I ran water thru it to check), I was like WTF??

2uoj59e.jpg

It *is* designed to reduce intake noise. Its likely intended to smooth out an intake resonance. Because the pathfinder's intake is relatively short, its there to reduce noise, or increase power or both.

I thought that is what it was for, I know manufacturers usually put pipes like this in to help quiet the intake, the thing with this one upon inspecting it is that the pipe does not flow all the way from one end to the other. So what would be the point of it being the length it is when it is not open from one end to the other??

Yea, one of these days I will take out the accordion as well. Just hadn't had time I guess...too much going on...I like the look of that filter, but does it not restrict air flow? Is that not the point of using a spherical cone filter?

it is a cone filter just enclosed in a case, the front is wide open, it also came with a part that clips on the end and a tube can attach to it that you can run further forward to cooler air if you would like.

I only drove the truck one time after swapping the filter and it is actually louder than the open K&N cone filter, it doesn't seem restrictive at all.

Edited by ahardb0dy

I agree I think it's there to smooth out an intake resonance, put there by the Noise, Vibration and Harshness engineers.

Which brings up my 2 cents on the whole cone filter and Pathfinder thing. It's not for me, although I do have an oem replacement K&N filter in my Path.

My truck like most stock WD21's is underpowered but fortunately a good, tuned VG30 isn't afraid to rev so it's unobtrusive to keep it in the power band. I don't need any loud intake sucking noises reminding how deep I've got my foot in it to keep up with fast moving traffic, especially if the AC is on. An occasional glance at the tach is all the reminder I want or need. I'm probably the only person in this forum who feels this way.

Did I really borrow my grandmother's old 396 Caprice when I was 16 and take the air cleaner off so I could hear the quadrajet moan when I floored it. Yeah, and all it got me was a broken motor mount.

The Z, a whole different story, intake noise, can't get enough.

Edited by dhardison

• 4 weeks later...

2uoj59e.jpg

The airbox has a pipe to prevent hydrolocking should you run through water deeper than the intake, that could be it.

• 8 months later...

Check out this COMPLETE KIT for $52 plus free shipping. Heard good reviews, going to pick one up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NISSAN-PATHFINDER-3-0-3-0L-V6-AIR-INTAKE-1991-1995-/280577752947?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3APathfinder|Year%3A1993&hash=item4153bcbf73

Edited by ACEX2