K&N or similiar air filter onto MAF question

ahardb0dy

Can a cone type filter be clamped right onto the metal that is right before the MAF sensor? I'm talking about the area in pic below: anyone know what diameter that is off hand?

qnk1l4.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh, lol for some reason I thought the MAF was directly connected to the Throttle body and the lines were after that, I guess I was backwards. (the PCV would mess up the sensor anyway lol)

You are looking at the wrong end, that end goes to the TB, the end with the bolt holes is the filter side. There are adaptors for cone filters, or some have taken the metal ring that is on the inside of the airbox and bolted it back on sans airbox and clamped a filter directly to it.

oh, lol for some reason I thought the MAF was directly connected to the Throttle body and the lines were after that, I guess I was backwards. (the PCV would mess up the sensor anyway lol)

You're still living in the TBI world ;) us MPFI guys have it easy with air intake mods.

You're still living in the TBI world ;) us MPFI guys have it easy with air intake mods.

Not as easy as some since we VG30E peeps prety much have to custom make our "kits", unlike the later model peeps that can buy off the shelf.

I did it...and it works great...kind of wish I would have done it a long time ago...

efan10.jpg

did you make the adapter or where did you get it from?

Autozone...about 6 bucks. Had to mod it a tiny bit to get it to work...the holes did not line up correctly otherwise. The "mount" to hold the filter up is just a piece of a tool box lock that I cut down and bent. Worked, but eventually will replace it with something more appealing.

I got the filter from ebay as the AZ Spectre HPR filters are like 19-49 bucks...Got it for 9 bucks shipped from ebay...works like a charm and have cleaned it 3 times now...use a K&N filter recharge kit...

thanks will check it out tomorrow, I already have 3 K&N filters here, a 3" inlet I had on my V8 dakota, a 2.5 inlet I used on my 87 hardbody as a pre filter and the K&N Apollo kit I haven't taken out of the box yet, that is the one I plan to use as you can run the inlet pipe anywhere you wish to bring in more cold air and the entire filter is enclosed, pic below:

ml6s2c.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy

I went out today and bought the second adapter I posted, the bolt hole spacing ended up being way to small but I overcame that problem, I made an adapter out of 3/8 or 1/2 in plexi, (not sure the exact thickness), that sits against the MAF sensor than I cut the corners off of the adapter I bought and used a washer on each bolt to hold the adapter to the spacer, under the spacer I ran a piece of weatherstripping for now will replace that with a large O-ring. i installed the K&N filter I had from my Dakota, could not use the K&N Apollo at this time I need to get a smaller coupling, the one I had from my Dakota is way to big and too long. I used a bracket that was under the stock airbox to hold the maf and filter up, just had to bend the top end straight. I can say one thing this thing is really LOUD, LOL. Only thing I notice that I haven't figured out yet is at idle I hear a constant whistling?? Pics below:

3496tjm.jpg

close up of the bracket I used to support the filter assembly bolted into another bracket that was already there, think it was one of the stock air box mounts:

20h7xns.jpg

And what exactly is this supposed to do?? I always thought it was there to reduce the sound of the air flowing thru the filter but when I flipped this part over and saw the way it is made and the fact that it doesn't even flow from one end to the other ( I ran water thru it to check), I was like WTF??

2uoj59e.jpg

Yep you bought the right mount. Works good! And I have no freakin clue why Nissan did that with the tube in the last pic. I thought the VERY SAME THING when I pulled it out...Simple and easy...makes it that much better when you do it, and not have to offload your whole paycheck....

the other mount is bigger I think, 4" compared to 3" , but it worked out. Going to see if I can find an adapter to go from the new adapter I put together today to the K&N Apollo filter, the Apollo is enclosed may cut down on some of the hot under hood air

Looks like the adapter I used too. For the support I cut bent and drilled a piece of aluminum bar stock.

intake1w.jpg

I also bought the parts to remove the accordian pipe. It is just a 6" tube that I cut and plumbed for the vac lines.

both of the adapters you 2 used must have been the larger one than the one I bought,a s you can see in your pics the edges of the adapter looks to be larger than the MAF sensor, mine is way smaller but the adapter flange itself is about 2.75 inches diameter. What did you do with that straight pipe? drill the holes for the grommets and mount all the stock hoses the same as factory? When I had my 2001 Dakota I had read that just replacing the accordion pipe with a straight pipe made it a lot easier to get the incoming air in.

I plan on trying to get my other K&N installed the Apollo model, there may not be enough room to run the inlet tube to behind the bumper but it is enclosed so it's supposed to help with the hot under hood air getting into the filter, have to get a smaller coupling than the one I have now, the Apollo filter inlet actually will go inside the adapter I used on the MAF sensor right now.

a lot louder with the open element filter though isn't it????

Edited by ahardb0dy

The adaptor I got was for a 3" MAF, I tried a 2.5" one and it lined up with the intake tube, but covered the sensor hole. As for the tube, yep, just drilled holes, put gromets in and plugged the hoses in.

go back up to the post before my pictures, I used the second one

in the stock accordion tube, are the grommets integrated or do they come out?

Edited by ahardb0dy