Winch Bumpers

matapalo

Been researching winch bumper possibilities for my 1995 pathfinder. Are the following options correct?

1 - ARB has discontinued production of their winch bumpers for the 87-95 pathfinder. I've called around a bit and it seems they are probably difficult, if not impossible, to find now (new or used). Question > They still make a winch bumper for the hardbody pickup. Will this bolt directly on to a pathfinder with a 2 inch body lift? Or is it more complicated than that.

2 - Kennesaw Mountain Accessories makes a winch bumper, but after reading the following thread, I'm not sure if I want to go there:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=24379

Anyone know if they have improved their manufacturing processes? That would be a lot of money to drop & not know what you're getting ...

3 - Fab your own or have your local metal fab shop build you one.

Am I missing any options?

1 ARB also waits untill they have 6 orders before they make them. yes the HB will work with a 2" BL

2 kenmtn :( I cannot stress how much frustration they caused or how disapointed I was with their "professional" craftmanship. but you found my thread anyway so nuff said

3 Local man I am much in favor of this option you can check on progress first hand maybe even be there for allot of it and you are more likely to get exactly what you want. Its hard to enforce qualtiy and pride in your work from across the country which is another plus about going local.

Am I missing any options?

4 find one off a 80-90 taco/4-runner or s10/blazer and modify it. the width on those is just right.

Edited by MY1PATH
  • Like 1

I used to have one made by proZap, and they are actually still in business, but just got off the phone with them and they no longer make anything for the Nissan's, I even asked about doing custom work and the guy said he doesn't even have the patterns anymore, oh well. NEXT!! I have a shop local to me that makes roll bars and tube bumpers going to e-mail them or call them tomorrow to see what they say.

just sent them an e-mail will report back with what they say

Edited by ahardb0dy

Yeah, that KMA story sounds like a freakin' nightmare. That's why these forums are such a value though. Saved a lot of other people from taking the same path.

Those would be 80-90 taco/4-runner or s10/blazer bumper's made by ARB? Would you just have to mod the mounting points only or would you have to get into the main bumper part to make it work?

• Like 1

I had a KMA on my Frontier before I made it my tow rig; it was an ok bumper but I would not go back to them, they have gone down hill big time. The one on my pathy is custom done by a guy named Richard here in NC. Im sure there are plenty of places there in Cali that can fab one up exactly like you want for probably the same cost as aftermarket. Here some pics for ideas...

000_0146.jpg

000_0155.jpg

Note he had to extend my frame horns and add a box tube crossmember to make it work, but it's tough as nails.

Edited by MrPlow

I just placed an order with KMA yesterday. I was told 4 to 5 weeks to start the next run and 5 to 7 days after the bumper should ship. I don't mind waiting a little longer then what they told me as long as I get a good product and it is here before hunting season. A new member just posted a pic of his KMA bumper and it look really good. Hopefully I wont have to wait too long. I have other things to work on to keep me busy.

James

Those would be 80-90 taco/4-runner or s10/blazer bumper's made by ARB? Would you just have to mod the mounting points only or would you have to get into the main bumper part to make it work?

ANY! I got a smittybuilt from and s10 ($50 of craigslist)I started working on and slick has a smitty from a taco. cut the mounts off and make your own. Our smitty's are not winch able tho (yet)

I just placed an order with KMA yesterday. I was told 4 to 5 weeks to start the next run and 5 to 7 days after the bumper should ship.

and when you call them in 5 weeks they will tell you it hasn't started because they normally run an 8 week backlog....

Mine was supposed to be 3 weeks and then shipped.

sorry dude I don't think you'll see anything for 6-months to a year.

and when you do watch out for lots of sharp edges on their unfinished product, you might cut yourself handling it.

KMA has been banned from other offorading sites, I only wish bothered to see other ppls experiences there before I ordered mine.

Good luck, maybe somone responsible took over and started enforcing quality work and start-overs when they blow thru a weld (instead of just building it up with more weld)

Edited by MY1PATH

That bumper looks really good MrPlow!!

Yeah, that KMA story sounds like a freakin' nightmare. That's why these forums are such a value though. Saved a lot of other people from taking the same path.

Hey Matapalo, I hear your frustration. I was lucky enough to buy a used ARB from a gent in the east bay, but then I had to have it cut and extended to mount properly with my 2" body lift.

I see that you are in Kentfield. Nice place!! I grew up in San Anselmo, but am in Santa Rosa now. I know of a good exhaust shop up here that I had extend the ARB bumper and will make a snorkel for me eventually. I won't say they are the best, but they do solid work and are reliable. Let me know if you have a hard time finding a local shop or you want to meet up for a beer or something.

B

not the type of bumpers you are talking about here but I got an e-mail back from the shop I e-mailed last night, he said they still make rear tube bumpers for the pathfinders, they have 2 different styles and I have included pics below, He thought i was asking about a tube winch bumper for the front but I replied with a pic of my old Pro Zap to see what he says about making one like that. The shop is only 16 miles away from me so I will swing over there one day to see what they got. No prices yet on the tube bumpers maybe tomorrow. Funny thing is the guy that responded is the same guy I used to talk to like 15 years ago!!

ehjalh.jpg

5eg702.jpg

and when you call them in 5 weeks they will tell you it hasn't started because they normally run an 8 week backlog....

Mine was supposed to be 3 weeks and then shipped.

sorry dude I don't think you'll see anything for 6-months to a year.

and when you do watch out for lots of sharp edges on their unfinished product, you might cut yourself handling it.

KMA has been banned from other offorading sites, I only wish bothered to see other ppls experiences there before I ordered mine.

Good luck, maybe somone responsible took over and started enforcing quality work and start-overs when they blow thru a weld (instead of just building it up with more weld)

If he got "the wincher", it is made from template cut pieces he (Kyle/KMA) has cut for him. Before he went psycho on NOAS I was going to buy one cheap because he had enough extra parts laying around to throw one together. The plate bumpers he makes are good (never heard bad) and stout, the post runner you got is a one off, he custom makes those completely with each order.

yeh and it doesn't fit lol. I'll finish it one day, but in the mean time I'm gettin petty used to the look of my bumperless pathy lol.

and no-one will be able to cut themselves on it when I'm done.

1. I have an ARB and i would not pay $900 shipped again for this pos. sorry, arb makes good stuff its just that this bumper is no were near worth $900.

2. I have a KMA rear and im alot more happy with it then my ARB, but i do agree that KMA does have a few issues as a company, such as it toke my bumper almost twice as long as what they told me it would take.

3. I would actually go this route of finding a local guy, this not only saves you shipping but you can brain storm with him in person on making your bumper truly your design. I actually plan on going this route when i replace my ARB, Ive only had it for about 2 years and its bent and warped under regular 4wheeling circumstances such as winching, D-ring pulling, and even a few rocks. Really pissed i payed $900 for it...

Edited by jbdevega

Sounds like the consensus is to find a local fabricator and have them build a custom bumper. A little intimidating though considering the unknown factor. What you'll get is entirely determined by the skill and knowledge of the builder and if you don't know of anyone offhand you've got to go out and find someone. Any recommendations on what type of businesses to approach? Precise1 mentioned an exhaust shop. I imagine word of mouth is probably the best way to find someone you can trust. Any Bay Area recommendations?

Hey Precise1, I grew up in Fairfax. That means we probably went to the same High School. In fact, judging from your birthdate, my wife was probably in your graduating class ... classic! This could lead to some VERY interesting stories ...

If you go custom, look around here and other sites, I have seen some design plans posted now and then. Or, get some cardboard and masking tape and make one out of that, then take it to the shop and they will have a pattern to work off of.

Just as a point of interest, thought I'd add this.

I called ARB yesterday, to Supply & Fit the Deluxe Bar here in Melbourne is $1100. Its a shame they've canned it over there, but its being made over here... Despite being stupidly expensive.

--DuckMan.

Just as a point of interest, thought I'd add this.

I called ARB yesterday, to Supply & Fit the Deluxe Bar here in Melbourne is $1100. Its a shame they've canned it over there, but its being made over here... Despite being stupidly expensive.

--DuckMan.

I miss the TJM aluminums. :thumbsdown:

I would go for custom as well. Find a local off-road fabricator and then ask to see their portfolio. If they don't have one either move on or negotiate a very low price and hope for the best. I went with a relatively unknown fabricator for a rear bumper and sliders and I was very pleased with the work. Just make sure you know what you want before you go shopping. Also, make sure to get the fabricator to give you a solid price quote.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a KMA on my Frontier before I made it my tow rig; it was an ok bumper but I would not go back to them, they have gone down hill big time. The one on my pathy is custom done by a guy named Richard here in NC. Im sure there are plenty of places there in Cali that can fab one up exactly like you want for probably the same cost as aftermarket. Here some pics for ideas...

000_0146.jpg

000_0155.jpg

Note he had to extend my frame horns and add a box tube crossmember to make it work, but it's tough as nails.

i want this. would he make more?

Mailing me your bumper would make up for the disappointment you just caused me.... ;)

Anywho, if you take a look at Packie88's front bumper, you can see a fairly simple way to make a functional front bumper. I'm doing something similar minus the winch though, as I have better things to spend 300 on!

• 6 years later...

Not to renew an old thread but to add my two cents the ARB bumper for our pathys and hardbody es have poor quality control now. I ordered one and it was built too long (tall wise) and too short (length wise). After fighting with it all day and cutting the crap out of both my pathy and the bumper itself I was able to get it installed but I had to use and inch thick of washers for every bolt on the bottom of the frame to drop it down. Then also the headlights still wouldn't fit so even more angle grinding and lastly the turn signals didn't fit well at all, they are sunk into the bumper and not completely centered. Maybe mine was just made on a Friday lol