Rockford Thermoplastic Cv Boot

fleurys

Well, I finally took 1 hour of my time and assemble my first cv half-shaft with new boots made from thermoplastic. Thermoplastic is a blend from plastic and rubber that can withstand higher and colder temperature. It also resists better to puncture and tear.

The rockford thermoplastic boots are made from a patented blend called santoprene made by monsanto company : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santoprene

My adventure started when one of my boot teared. Went to check what was available and choices were not that great. I checked the ones from a pinzgauer which also has an ifs, and his were made from thermoplastics. At the time I did not know anything about this material. My friend told me that they were very resistant and seeing him going to places I would not dare (at least not at the time :-) ), I beleived him and started to learn about the stuff.

My research brought me to RockfordCV ( http://www.rockfordcv.com/rcvboot.htm ) which is the only company I found that carries cv boots for nissan pathfinder. Unfortunately, they did not have anything for R50 (96-2004). They only had boots for 87-89 and 90-95.

Not stopping there, I decided to do some reverse part number searches. I looked at the EMPI catalog for part numbers for the boots of 90-95 pathfinder vs 96-04...no luck.... then I hit the jackpot... The 87-89 pathfinder EMPI cv Boots part number are the same than for a 96-04 ! Bingo...

Called rockford cv and ordered 2 sets of their 87-89 boots. (part number : 166-21 and 166-23). I decided i was going to take the plunge and see. The boots are about 11-13$ each.

I decided to rebuild my OEM nissan shaft with them instead of rebuilding the EMPI crap (that barfed out it's grease 4 days after I installed it!).. I trust a lot more the oem nissan even though there is some surface rust on it, I feel more confident with them..

They fit like a glove and have a nice tight fit around the cv. Was made to go there !

So here you have it : the first (I think) R50 half-shaft with thermoplastic boots. For now they will not go on my truck just yet. I'm keeping them for spare until I put my front strut spacers which will put the cv at more angle. This should be a good test.

All pictures here : https://elstevo3.smugmug.com/Rockford-cv-boot

Foreground = rockford (santoprene) background = EMPI (shiny (crap) neoprene) You can see the difference with the material. The thermoplastic is a lot less shiny and a lot more stiff. It is also noticeably thicker.

CIMG0814-M.jpg

Edited by fleurys
  • Like 1

Wow man, you really outdid yourself with this one! Glad we have you to mod and figure out stuff for the r50's instead of the older less powerfull wd21's :D

hahaha.. Tks... ...(hey don't start another wd21 vs r50 war hahahaha) :aok:

You should let Rockford know about this in case they were cutting back or stopping production, and so they can market them for the R50...

Good idea... I just finish writing the sales person that sold me the boots. He has pictures and full story... The ball is in their camp now. ! :shrug:

• 1 month later...
On 5/17/2010 at 11:30 PM, laxman0324 said:

You should let Rockford know about this in case they were cutting back or stopping production, and so they can market them for the R50...

SUCCESS ! RockFord has modified their boot fitment catalog.... you can see this now... :jig:

rockford-boot-L.jpg

Edited by fleurys

• 3 months later...

you have to it the old fashion way : talk to a real person : 1-815-962-1411 :laugh:

Time to get on the ol' rotary phone... :lol:

:rofl:

That is great! Ty, I think you can manage that, eh?

One would hope so at my age. If not, I think I have some real problems. :lmao:

• 4 years later...

I just tried to purchase a set for my pathfinder for both axles. I went to there website and parts prices. Called them. not in stock and there prices are higher and wouldn't honor there website prices.

166-21 $12.93 new price over phone $18.25 not in stock

166.23 $13.52 new price over phone $19.60 not in stock

the guy was questioning my prices and where I got them. "must be a old price sheet" even though it was from the website.

http://www.rockfordcv.com/Bootkit_list_prices.htm#BK166-21

Edited by xxLOUDOGxx

That sucks. After seeing this post linked from the other thread, I was planning on picking up a set, too. The website's got a pretty solid price compared to RockAuto stuff. They give any timeframe for getting them re-stocked?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...