Just Wondering About This...

Tungsten

How much power can be gained by converting from power steering to manual steering on a VG30E? Is it worth doing the conversion? I would not mind having to turn the steering wheel 3 times around if there is a benefit. What are your opinions on this?

Unless you are unusually strong, don't bother with removing the power steering. You can get more power to offset the little lost by adding modifications. You don't use much anyway. A few HP??

B

I saw trucks without power steering before, the steering gears are bigger so you need more turns to turn the same radius. Of course if you disconnect power steering it will be impossible because the ratio is different but it allows you a full lock turn radius with only one and a half turn of the wheel or so.

This is true, and if you installed a Hardbody manual gear box, is would be easier than just disconnecting the pumps belt or hoses.

But let say that my statements above hold true, based on personal experience. Although my Toyota is an SR5, it did not come with power steering. And for the first couple years that I had it it remained manual. Then one day I was at a local wrecking yard and came across a yota with all it's PS components intact and untouched. $75 bought me everything, I took it home and put it aside. Went wheeling a time or two after that, then finally got back to installing it. Went wheeling the following weekend and the difference was huge.

This was a 4cyl with less pony's than our V6's have, but it was well worth any cost (not really noticeable anyway) and I never looks back wink.gif

Hey I can relate. My old K5 trail rig had zero power steering...it was one of those good old military trucks...Long story short converted to a scrap yard system, and shortly after that went to 44 inchers, at which time it went hydraulic.

The difference on the trails...was awesome. Power steering alone made it so much more enjoyable, and the hydro setup was freakin sweet. (caused me to have to brace up a bunch of stuff, and get "Real" beadlock wheels though.)

Anyway...I am with the others...why would you not want it? If you were racing the truck on on a straight 1/4 mile..sure, remove everything.

I used to drive a D21 with manual steering and it wasn't that big of a deal. I know for a fact that a D21 without PS is faster than one with it. If you plan on running tires bigger than a 26-27" I wouldn't recommend it though. Especially if you are performing low speed maneuvers off road.