Volvo Fails Automatic Braking Test

Tungsten

Classic!!

I wish I could take a brand new car and stuff it in front of the media and say "sorry about that." :lol:

Tell you what, I'll handle the braking and other navigational systems of the car. If you think you have an autopilot, I'll never drive it...

B

Dude, stupid keeps you employed.

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity; You are the most job secure person I know...

B

I can't wait for those cars that park themselves to f-up. Keeps me employed.

I don't think there's a problem with them. The systems shut down if a sensor fails. So it would be related to a person trying to do it themselves.

I don't think there's a problem with them. The systems shut down if a sensor fails. So it would be related to a person trying to do it themselves.

Just like if you take your foot of the gas and hit the brake the Toyota should stop right?

Volvo failed to realize that there is a special common sense device written about in many driving manuals called:

SAFE FOLLOWING DISTANCE

That systems for dumb women and slow people to park,if you cant park(paraell) or otherwise,you shouldnt be driving...

I can't. And in fact since taking my driving test, I have YET to parallel park. I fail to see how it's "just for women". Most cars got blind spots now that it'd be easier to parallel park a WD21.

The systems themselves are great. Ford's is a bit more... Touchy. It tells you what gears to select and just handles all the steering stuff on it's own. It's a great system though. Really intuitive. On the other hand, the system Lexus has is a proper definition of the term "clusterfskc"

All parrallel parkign is is the ability to judge your car to begin with. If you can't judge it, you proably shoud trade off for something you CAN judge. Taking the drivers test in a Prizm then hopping in a Suburban ain't the brightest move. Like B said though, stupid keeps me employed. If you need that much help driving, at least do it in areas I can make money off you... But not near my stuff

All parrallel parkign is is the ability to judge your car to begin with. If you can't judge it, you proably shoud trade off for something you CAN judge. Taking the drivers test in a Prizm then hopping in a Suburban ain't the brightest move. Like B said though, stupid keeps me employed. If you need that much help driving, at least do it in areas I can make money off you... But not near my stuff

I couldn't parallel park my 92 cavalier coupe.

But I could do it in a 1st gen Blazer as well as a K5 blazer. That doesn't say much for that theory lol. I'm sure i COULD parallel park. But I don't have any need to when there is parking spaces available. I rarely visit large cities as well. So yeah.

But just because you can't parallel park doesn't mean you can't judge your car.

Calm down man, wasn't a personal attack. Gotta remember what I do for a living, my life revolves around people who can't drive and someone that just HAS to have a car because of their "image". I watch people on a regular basis bounce off of parked cars because they drive something they know they can't see the ends of. I lived on a mainstreet with no offstreet parking. I do think it's an important part of driving being able to PARK your vechile though. Like I said, if you can't properly completly drive your vechile, time to trade out for one you can. (once again, not a personal attack on you or those who can't park, just my OPINION. I don't expect people to agree with it but I ain't gonna change it over anyone disagreeing with it)

I know it's not a personal attack. I just think it's a goofy viewpoint to have. I can see where people would NEED the skill. I personally don't need it. I have no desire to bother with it anymore. But if I need to I'm sure I could. Just saying not everybody's driving skills are hindered by the fact they can't, or have difficulty with, parallel parking. It's your opinion I just don't see how it makes any difference. Even if your line of work is involved with it.

Calm down man, wasn't a personal attack. Gotta remember what I do for a living, my life revolves around people who can't drive and someone that just HAS to have a car because of their "image". I watch people on a regular basis bounce off of parked cars because they drive something they know they can't see the ends of. I lived on a mainstreet with no offstreet parking. I do think it's an important part of driving being able to PARK your vechile though. Like I said, if you can't properly completly drive your vechile, time to trade out for one you can. (once again, not a personal attack on you or those who can't park, just my OPINION. I don't expect people to agree with it but I ain't gonna change it over anyone disagreeing with it)

I see people who can't even park their stuff all the time, if you can't drive it, DON'T BUY IT!

Lol, Mercedes was debuting their radar stopping system on their S-Class a few years back...it failed and plowed the wall ahead of it at 35MPH. That seemed to go over well.

There's also footage of a Lexus sedan smacking another car while testing out the parking systems as well. So who do you find at fault when your "automatic (insert function)" vehicle malfunctions and it wrecks? "Sorry, it's the car's fault! I swear!" :rolleyes:

These system do nothing more than take away responsibility from the driver. That is stupid and wrong.

I know the reason for all the "fluff" abilities, an attempt to idiot proof stuff. The sad fact is the more you idiot proof, the bigger the idiot becomes. Hell I have friends who are so used to electronic locks, they have no idea how to operate my manual locks, no lie! :doh:

I know the reason for all the "fluff" abilities, an attempt to idiot proof stuff. The sad fact is the more you idiot proof, the bigger the idiot becomes. Hell I have friends who are so used to electronic locks, they have no idea how to operate my manual locks, no lie! :doh:

Haha, the flip-side of that is when someone is so used to operating everything manually and then they get in their girlfriends car and are totally confused and overwhelmed by all the buttons and high-tech gadgetry that they don't know what to do.

That describes me actually...

If you cant parelle park you shouldnt be driving,I can so I drive.It doesnt matter if you ever use it,everyone should know how.Its easy,line you seat up with the seat of the car ahead of you,turn the wheel all the way to the right and back up,using you driver side mirror as a gauge so you know when to turn back...

On a side note,the volvo that I was in and can testafy that it really rips is the V70R,turbo 5 cylinder makeing 300 hp and 295 lbs...they really go good.

Has anyone here seen the movie Idiocracy? That is exactly what the world is going to come to. (electrolytes FTW!)

All these damn fancy gadgets. I think the one I hate most though is electronic throttles. GOD I HATE THOSE. My Sentra has it, and when I'm working on it, I have to annoy my wife (wich makes my day start to go bad) so she can rev the motor for me while I tinker. And what if the stupid thing fails? Just so many possibilities of problems with so many electronics. Thats why I loves my 96 pathy...and anything before 99 is great actually...

Jose