How To Tell What Gear Ratio I Have In My Truck

I know to look on the tag on the inner pass. fender but don't know what the numbers mean, mine says HG46, so does that mean the ratio is 4.62 to 1?

Thanks

Mines missing the tag so I did the "Jack the back up and count the revolutions of the driveshaft for one revolution of the tire" trick

I know to look on the tag on the inner pass. fender but don't know what the numbers mean, mine says HG46, so does that mean the ratio is 4.62 to 1?

Thanks

Yes,that is the gear ratio you have right there,Although I think its 4.67-1...

Yes,that is the gear ratio you have right there,Although I think its 4.67-1...

wow, that would be really low, didn't think they used a ratio lower than 4.62, don't see anything in the FSM about it either.

• 6 months later...

Bringing back this thread rather than start a new one...

Ok, so newb question... is this for low range? What about "regular"? How about all the other gears in the 5 speed manual?

edit: duh, so you're talking about the rear diff, but anyway, my main question remains, how about the ratios in the transmission and for low range?

Edited by sewebster

Bringing back this thread rather than start a new one...

Ok, so newb question... is this for low range? What about "regular"? How about all the other gears in the 5 speed manual?

edit: duh, so you're talking about the rear diff, but anyway, my main question remains, how about the ratios in the transmission and for low range?

And to answer my own question, from the FSM:

High: 1.0

Low: 2.02

1st 4.061

2nd 2.357

3rd 1.490

4th 1.000

5th 0.862

R 4.125

So, is this right then, that if you are at 1000 rpm in low range, in 1st, you will be turning the crank 2.02*4.061*4.37 = 35.8 times per tire revolution (for 4.37 diff). So circumference = pi*d... 31" tire, circ = 3.14*31*2.54/100=2.47 metres. So at 1000 rpm, that's 69 metres per minute or about 4 km per hour.

edit transmission ratios are for the V6 transmission btw

Edited by sewebster
  • Like 1