Stubby Pathy

sumguy67

PICTURES!!

Ok, here is a link to the ongoing progress.

After 3 days in I think I'm going to reach my Friday goal of all body changes welded in.

http://picasaweb.google.ca/106952140359333266362/TruckMods

My garage is too small to get any overall shots so it will have to wait until the big unveiling. HA!

Edited by sumguy67

:scratchhead: I thought you were shortening the rear?

Ya, I was going to.... but decided I needed the utility of a short box.

Actually, until I put the saw to metal, it could have gone either way.

Chopping the rear 19" would have worked well. Everything measured up nice.

Even support members all seemed to be in the right place.

I would have gone with a custom fuel cell forward of the rear axle.

Why not put a fuel cell in the bed and have the roll cage go out over the bed,so you can mount a rad in the bed...just thoughts....

If I planned on this as being an off road only I would do just as you suggested.

I personally like the rad and fan in back.... just looks cool.

But I have a feeling when my wife sees this all done she will be wanting to drive it instead of our other pathy..... and that is ok since it will give me a chance to work on hers!!! HA!

Thanks for all of the support. At this time in the project I need a push. HA!

I only added three pics last night.

Today was a day off of the project. It's ok since I have only a little welding to do to hit my Friday deadline.

Then on to the front.....

Well.... rear modification fabrication is done.

Added four pics today:

Finished the rear welding, fabricated a couple of inner side panels and sealed & undercoated under the box area.

Would have moved to the front but my grass was starting to look like a hay field so I had to cut it.

Still thinking on the rear frame fabrication..... want to make it functional and practical.

I'm very happy with the results of the fabrication, even though I was using a stick welder.

If you ever use a stick for a project like this do yourself a favor and don't change rod brand half way though. UGH!!!

I'm happy about the opportunity to get the rotted steel out too!!

As well as undercoating I'm soaking the inner surfaces with a rust guard oil spray.

Just in case anyone is looking for an update.... I'm working on the regular rust removal and body/frame work right now.

Decided to work my way forward and save the front body mod (the fun part) until the other body work is done (the crappy part).

• 3 months later...

This project is still moving forward. Had the option of staying home this summer and working on the truck or spending the summer in the Okanogan valley. Guess which I chose?? HA!

I'm glad I did... a LOT of off road vehicles out there. Many are daily drivers for these guys. I've never seen so many lifted trucks.

I know this is a crappy Photoshop image but what does everyone think???

It would be fun to do this on one of my trucks!

Looks like a Lada... HA!

pathfinder%20stubby.jpg

Kinda reminds me of the transporter that was built by the driver I co-drove for at last year's Targa Newfoundland: http://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/?p=21

:D

It seemed obvious to me that the ubiquitous pickup truck, so much a part of the American culture, was, and still is, one of the most useless vehicles ever conceived.

That about sums up this maroon. Because he had a different use/need than that of a pickup, that makes them all useless?? What a carte blanche idiot. His contraption has a certain 'do it because you can' value, but otherwise...

Tell you what, buy a trailer hitch and a car trailer. That way you can unhook it the other 360 days out of the year and just drive a minivan, which seems to suit him just fine. :rolleyes:

B

I agree about rushing things..... but a week is lots of time. :D

My background is in automotive structural design, some in truck frames like the H3 Hummer, some in suspensions and some in heavy off-road suspension and driveline.... the list goes on.

After almost 20 years I guess I could say I've done a little bit of this before. :)

The nice part is that I get to do the fabrication myself.

A ??? out of curiosity...isnt the H3 Hummer built on the Colorado/Canyon frame????

That is one of the more ambitious projects ive seen undertaken...GREAT work...you have vision and mad skills. I cant wait to see it done. KEEP IT UP.

Tye

Edited by ty01pathfinder

What a project, wow. :omg:

Here in Portugal, theres a guy that did shorten a 4 door, like the one you posted at the beggining, only seen it in photos on the web... :shiftyeyes:

Yours is going to be a lot better or nicer to see and to see the progress. :aok:

Keep us updated, please and the good work.