Intake?

Has anyone had any experiences with aftermarket Air Intakes for the 1998 Pathfinder? Looking for a little more boost and the only performance air intake I could find was the Weapon-R.

I made my own Intake. A lot cheaper than buying one.

Jose

x2

Go buy some specter parts and make your own. Cost me around $25 and got the same end result.

If you want a true cold air intake, you can get/make a snorkel

Edited by SilverPath

theres also the jim wolf technology pop charger (what i have)

its not a full blown intake but its a K&N filter with a really nice velocity stack underneath. about $130.

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/customer_part_detail.asp?PartID=364

"Your new POP-Charger is the most efficient air intake system available. By adhering to ideal venturi theory, a 4:1 convergent area and a modified parabolic profile maintain a near linear air velocity along the entire venturi surface. Interestingly, it is the POP-Chargers aluminum venturi that accounts for the largest performance gain; the filter element itself is designed simply to not adversely affect this venturi."

So, what i call a velocity stack, they call a venturi.

I may get one of those pop chargers for my VQ over the summer once I have money. Its alot cheaper than a K&N intake. Fueler, do you have pics of how it mounts up? It looks to me like there is no tube, just a plate that im guessing attaches to the throttle body, and then the air filter attaches to that? Im not to versed with engine stuff.

Edit:

Just did some digging and apparently this Jim Wolf Technology aka JWT is pretty popular esp with all the 350z and G35 guys. The install looks really straight forward. Take off the stock air box, remove the tube that holds the MAF and then reinstall it on the new air filter and then re install it using the old air intake hose. Now if this fits as easily into a pathy is unknown. Fueler you have the vg pop charger but im just wondering how different the Pathys VQ air intake is from a G35 or 350Z intake? I guess I could just wait til I get home and look at my dads to see if it would work or not. The engine bay on the pathy is bigger, and im guessing I wouldnt have a problem with the heat shield, just the mounting of the actual filter. Im going to email someone at that website and ask a few questions. It seems like it really lets that signature VQ sound out after its installed, which is super nice sounding :D

Edited by 01silvapathy

the JWT venturi is essentially a MAF adapter.

JWT POP charger is easily one of the best mods for pretty much all Nissan engines. always helpful to get larger and smoother piping, but the use of the POP on stock tubing is actually very good. the single POP for the Z32 TTs used to net roughly 15RWHP.

this is the specific POP for the pathys.

My link

the JWT venturi is essentially a MAF adapter.

JWT POP charger is easily one of the best mods for pretty much all Nissan engines. always helpful to get larger and smoother piping, but the use of the POP on stock tubing is actually very good. the single POP for the Z32 TTs used to net roughly 15RWHP.

this is the specific POP for the pathys.

My link

Yeah I just saw that they had a specific one for the pathy's vq. Once I get some money this summer this is a definite mod for the pathy!

Yeah I just saw that they had a specific one for the pathy's vq. Once I get some money this summer this is a definite mod for the pathy!

What's the difference between this and K&N's intake kit? If this provides more horse power than the K&N can it be used instead of the K&N cone but in conjunction with the K&N intake tube and heat shield?

Thanks for the input. Checked out that JWT POP charger kit. Intresting there is no shinny intake tube. LOL. Their intake must work then.

not sure of how much power the K&N FIPK makes since those are all relatively new compared to the POP chargers that have been out since the dawn of time.

the difference between the two are mainly the MAF adapters. the POP charger MAF adapter is the patented venturi, that's what's drawing most of the air into the engine and increasing power. the other difference is that the K&N FIPK is a full intake (not a cold air, that i've seen some places say, unless it's not showing a CAE along with the part list), with larger diameter tubing, etc, however the problem with the K&N FIPK is that it's made of plastic, IIRC, and it's not the smoothest and best material for a free flowing intake.

not sure of how much power the K&N FIPK makes since those are all relatively new compared to the POP chargers that have been out since the dawn of time.

the difference between the two are mainly the MAF adapters. the POP charger MAF adapter is the patented venturi, that's what's drawing most of the air into the engine and increasing power. the other difference is that the K&N FIPK is a full intake (not a cold air, that i've seen some places say, unless it's not showing a CAE along with the part list), with larger diameter tubing, etc, however the problem with the K&N FIPK is that it's made of plastic, IIRC, and it's not the smoothest and best material for a free flowing intake.

Sounds like I could make my own tube and attach the JWT POP charger on it for more free flow. Guess the next thing to do is also make a shroud to allow only cool air to enter the filter.

On K&N's website, they show dyno sheets that claim 14.46 hp increase for their intakes (edit to add; for the 3.5 liter R50), this info is somewhat dubious because it originates from the manufacturer and not an objective source. If you look at K&N's other offerings, it seems that their metal intakes add less power and that the plastic ones add more, again that's according to their data. The way I understand it is that the plastic piping dissapates heat faster and/or retain less heat therefore providing cooler air than a metal intake. What is CAE?

Edited by pathlesstaken

pathlesstaken, CAE = cold air extension. the K&N FIPK is a simple WAI (warm air intake), in that the cone filter is in the engine bay sucking up warm air. a true cold air intake has a full tube that drops into the fender/bumper and sucks up the lower and denser, cold air. there are many intakes that have the ability to switch from a WAI or connect to a CAE that drops the filter into the bumper.

at most, i've seen a K&N FIPK put 10 crank hp, which would essentially equate to about 5 or less WHP. with all the POPs that i've seen on the dyno, my NA Z put down about 7RWHP, i've seen TT Zs consistently put down at least 12RWHP, seen several SRs put down ~10RWHP, and the list goes on. the POPs are legit. the idea behind plastic tubing is there, however, one would also have to think about the loss of actual air through said tubing. the metal tubing is a much more solid material where less air escapes compared to the plastic tubing. the differences at our particular levels of performance are next to nothing. ultimately, the best solution would be to thermowrap a metal intake pipe, but like i said, we're not tuning our engines the way someone with a Z or what not would be. the only other thing that a plastic tube could do at our level compared to a metal tube would be to very slightly decrease overall engine bay temperatures, but again, pretty minimal.

timmons, i would also agree with making your own tubing. i, honestly, wouldn't bother with a heat shield because they would essentially block a portion of the intake rendering part of the cone filter mildly useless and unable to suck as well as it could (that's what she said, ;)). the heat shield won't do anything in terms of bringing in any cooler air than normal. the only way to get a true cooler charge of air is to have a real CAI.

pathlesstaken, CAE = cold air extension. the K&N FIPK is a simple WAI (warm air intake), in that the cone filter is in the engine bay sucking up warm air. a true cold air intake has a full tube that drops into the fender/bumper and sucks up the lower and denser, cold air. there are many intakes that have the ability to switch from a WAI or connect to a CAE that drops the filter into the bumper.

at most, i've seen a K&N FIPK put 10 crank hp, which would essentially equate to about 5 or less WHP. with all the POPs that i've seen on the dyno, my NA Z put down about 7RWHP, i've seen TT Zs consistently put down at least 12RWHP, seen several SRs put down ~10RWHP, and the list goes on. the POPs are legit. the idea behind plastic tubing is there, however, one would also have to think about the loss of actual air through said tubing. the metal tubing is a much more solid material where less air escapes compared to the plastic tubing. the differences at our particular levels of performance are next to nothing. ultimately, the best solution would be to thermowrap a metal intake pipe, but like i said, we're not tuning our engines the way someone with a Z or what not would be. the only other thing that a plastic tube could do at our level compared to a metal tube would be to very slightly decrease overall engine bay temperatures, but again, pretty minimal.

timmons, i would also agree with making your own tubing. i, honestly, wouldn't bother with a heat shield because they would essentially block a portion of the intake rendering part of the cone filter mildly useless and unable to suck as well as it could (that's what she said, ;)). the heat shield won't do anything in terms of bringing in any cooler air than normal. the only way to get a true cooler charge of air is to have a real CAI.

I'm going to purchase this JWT POP charger and try it with the stock tube and then have a friend of mine use is dyno to see what the results are before and after. Then I'll try a different tube and then put it on the dyno again. I'll have the results at the end of this month and post it. I need to find a way to funnel cold air into this pop charger from the front of the pathy so I'll be looking for ways to pipe it in. Anyone has pictures of this mod, please feel free to post if you have had any successes on this. No sense in re-inventing the wheel so to speak. Thanks for everyones input.

I'm going to purchase this JWT POP charger and try it with the stock tube and then have a friend of mine use is dyno to see what the results are before and after. Then I'll try a different tube and then put it on the dyno again. I'll have the results at the end of this month and post it. I need to find a way to funnel cold air into this pop charger from the front of the pathy so I'll be looking for ways to pipe it in. Anyone has pictures of this mod, please feel free to post if you have had any successes on this. No sense in re-inventing the wheel so to speak. Thanks for everyones input.

the stock intake tubing and box pretty much do this already. i haven't checked the bumper for it yet, but there is usually a box in the bumper/fender well that is supposed to bring in colder air, it is then routed up through plastic piping through a hole in the engine bay, and into the stock airbox. really, the only way to improve on what you're implying without running an actual CAI would be to pull the fog light and make a similar style tubing that will route air to the area of the cone filter (again, you don't want to block much of the filter off because then you decrease it's ability to suck in other ambient air since your own tubing definitely won't be sufficient enough to create enough of a draw to make the surface area of that cone filter completely useful). along with that, another option would be to have some sort of ram air set up, either with the driver's headlight, part of the hood, etc.

if you can fab something up that is actually mildly efficient (in the sense that it's making near ~5+ WHP), then i applaud your efforts and ingenuity. honestly, i'd leave it as is since the benefits that you may or may not reap will be very, very minimal, and that's being optimistic, and i'm a very optimistic, glass, half-full, kind of guy.

damn xplorx is lurkin! How you been, man?

Yeah the lower pic is the venturi. Thats what you see when you take the filter off.