Multi-Fit Tarp/blind

Nickj

Hey all

I felt the need to add this useful device for all to share as an alternative to fitting a snorkel to your Pathy. Myself, I don't see the value vs cost and trouble to fit a snorkel for the amount of REAL use it will actually get.

We don't have many deep water crossings round our way, but there are a couple that I love doing that will get water well over the bonnet when the river is up. So rather than a snorkel (I have never been a fan of them) I set about doing something easy, adaptable and cheap.

I bought a poly tarp from the local hardware store, I think it was 6ft x 4ft (180cm x 120cm), some 8mm shock cord and some 2.5mm fencing wire.

Laying the tarp across the bonnet, long ways across the bonnet, you can then meaure up your shock cords for the guards. I just hooked one on each guard flare, if you tie them firm but not too tight, you can use the tarp for other vehicles, including bullbar/nudge bar equipped cars.

When you do the underside hooks, don't need to use shock cord. Just attach the hooks direct. The tension in the flare hooks will keep them in.

Here are some pics.

tarp1.jpg

Note** Hook on the lower side, hook and shock cord on the upper side.

nick-tarp.jpg

Tarp fitted before river entry

Have fun!

Nick

I don't know where the R50 intake is, I assumed it pulled it in from the inside of the fender like the d21 but if it is in the engine bay that tarp will only save you from splashes thru the front. if your tube goes below the waterline you'll still take in water...

If you don't want a true snorkel you can always just run a pipe up the inside of the fender so it takes air in from door side of the fender. this is about 1/4 the effort required and you should not have to cut holes in anything.then you are safe from nose in approches as long as that corner by your door doesn't get submerged.

I'm not saying that that doesn't work but I don't understand how it could. How is that tarp keeping H20 out of your intake if your intake is below the water level?

Quite simple, it isn't. It just helps to keep the water out of the engine bay area and electrics. My model Pathy has a pre-air box under the left fender with a couple of chambers in it. Not sure which other year models also have these. The actual intake height on my model is just under the top of the fender almost level with the bonnet. The air or water has to flow down the pipe to the bottom of the first chamber, then up to the top and into the next chamber, then fill that up before it can get drawn in. Thats the theory anyway. There would be a big air lock under there which would eventually fill up with water if the car was stationary for any length of time. Except for a quick dip in the river!

Nick

gocha, traped pocket of air and the resonators have to fill up somewhat before it gets sucked up. then the water evaporates from the resonators during normal driving and the vapors harmlessly and slowly get sucked up.

I've heard of this before, but it doesn't address my main concern, if you stop for any reason while in the water. Still better than nothing, no doubt...

B

The picture of a parked pathy?? :scratchhead:

Again, my concern is if you stop for any reason which there can be many, especially in such muddy water.

I understand how it works and it's a great idea and I'd use it in a pinch if I had nothing else...

B

The picture of a parked pathy?? :scratchhead:

maybe not, but this one does xD

nick_river.jpg

haha maybe wouldn't work so great if you stopped, but great idea long as you keep moving, seems functional enough :)

I don't plan on stopping in the middle of river crossings. I know this can happen though due to many reasons.

Nick

I don't plan on stopping in the middle of river crossings. I know this can happen though due to many reasons.

Nick

Who plans to? :lol:

If you don't want a true snorkel you can always just run a pipe up the inside of the fender so it takes air in from door side of the fender. this is about 1/4 the effort required and you should not have to cut holes in anything.then you are safe from nose in approches as long as that corner by your door doesn't get submerged.

I happened to have my fender off today so here's some pix of what I was talking about...

th_snorkelside.jpg th_snorkelrear.jpg th_snorkelfront.jpg

oh nice smile.gif

wouldn't take much to make a true snorkel out of that if anyone wanted too. Alot cheaper than buying one anyway

I think it was 15-20 bucks in parts for some peace of mind on steep nose in approaches.

Eventually I'm going to tie it into a small scoop on the cowl vent but the Hood Hinge is in the way so I been trying to think arround that one for a while.

threadjacked.gif No, those are the calmini. VERY BEEFY. and some rust because they didn't prep their powdercoat.

they have other shortcomings as well...

hey, those upper A-arms arn't stock are they?

They're a pretty shade of blue... mine's all... rust color xD

Edited by MY1PATH