Rear Disc-Brake Conversion

You don't need a press. Magregor and I did this on his first wd21 (swapped backing plates and bearings). Pm him I am sure he will tell you how to do it.

Thanks! I'll do that. :aok:

yup, you guys read it right. basically just swapping the backing plate.

That's dynamite! :D

I'd like to find a way to run Brembo brakes all around! :aok:

To be honest, I just want to get rid of ugly, archaic drums. :thumbsdown:

gotta love the brembo brakes

they saved me from a few mishaps when moving traffic suddenly froze

I don't see why not. It's the same rear axle... ;)

Actually, the axle is different. Only the H233B is the same (well, except it uses the WD21 31 spline count). Hmm...Still wonder though...

Jose

gotta love the brembo brakes

they saved me from a few mishaps when moving traffic suddenly froze

Yhah, I'd love to sport a set of those all the way around. :aok:

Actually, the axle is different. Only the H233B is the same (well, except it uses the WD21 31 spline count). Hmm...Still wonder though...

Jose

Well, the axleshafts are different. ;)

The backing plates should mount up the same regardless of the spline count.

Yhah, I'd love to sport a set of those all the way around. :aok:

Well, the axleshafts are different. ;)

The backing plates should mount up the same regardless of the spline count.

ditto! It shouldn't be a problem.

• 1 year later...

For aesthetic reasons, absolutely. I'm pretty sure for functionality, the R50 drums perform better than the WD21 discs. I could be wrong, though. :scratchhead:

I'd be surprised if that were the case. Just about any discs would probably be better than any drums.

Sorry to bump an old thread, only one I could find on this topic and I'm considering doing this conversion myself. Anyone done this since the thread fizzled out last year?

X2, X2, X2!!! :lol:

I'm gonna source a rear WD21 axle with discs and see if I can find a hydraulic press to use. :aok:

I want to note that the master cylinder In pathys with disk front and rear hold more volume. A guy i knows wife had a pathy with disk breaks and when the MC went out we had a heck of a time finding one that worked right for him as all of the local nissan places said they were the same but when compared they were not. We ended up finding them one out of a used rig, They will bolt in each others places but the one for drums made for the squishy pedal syndrome.

• 8 months later...

I busted a headlight 2 weeks ago and went to two Pull A Part junkyards to grab a couple of replacement assemblies. While I was there, I looked at all their Pathfinders within the year range that would have rear discs as an option but I've had no luck yet. There's a third PAP in Atlanta that I want to try out and I'll grab the entire axle to start my conversion if it has discs.

(for my references later...)

http://nissannut.com/projects/H233b_disc_brakes/

http://www.roninwheelers.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5307

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=858428

Looking at your sig WOT....what the hell is wrong with your exhaust.....makes it look like your truck has a boner it sticks out so far

Nothing wrong with it... hard to see but there is a hitch reciever bar under my bumper, center exhaust is flushed with the reciever mount doesnt stick out or anything

It does look like a big wide boner from that downward angle though, cant see any of the piping when your standing