Rear Disc-Brake Conversion

Two problems with using front brakes. Too large and no E-brake.

It would be nice to have a spare axle to mock them up on though..

You're right. Now that I think about it, this was done with a WD21/D21 axle. The WD21 had a rear disk option. so ebrake was made to work with it. Damn. But, I wonder of there is a way, with a little modification, to make the rear brakes work from a WD21...Hmm...

Might work. Looking at the diagrams on courtest nissan, alot of the parts from the wd21 and r50 drums are the same. the internals are a bit different, but uses the same shoes, cylinder, rear plate assembly, ect. The thing i don't get though, is that if you order a complete drum brake assembly, even though the diagrams show that they have some differences, the part numbers for the whole assembly is the same. makes me wonder...

wd21

r50

Jose

Edited by 180sx

I'm sure with enough time and money anything could be possible regarding this modification. That being said, I wouldn't swap in WD21 discs because they're designed for the WD21. I'd rather look into aftermarket discs (i.e., Brembo, Baer, etc.) and improve on the overall braking of the R50, taking into consideration larger tires and added weight (bumper, winch, roof rack, gear, etc.)

I'm sure with enough time and money anything could be possible regarding this modification. That being said, I wouldn't swap in WD21 discs because they're designed for the WD21. I'd rather look into aftermarket discs (i.e., Brembo, Baer, etc.) and improve on the overall braking of the R50, taking into consideration larger tires and added weight (bumper, winch, roof rack, gear, etc.)

You don't think even WD21 disks would be better than R50 drums?

You don't think even WD21 disks would be better than R50 drums?

For aesthetic reasons, absolutely. I'm pretty sure for functionality, the R50 drums perform better than the WD21 discs. I could be wrong, though. :scratchhead:

For aesthetic reasons, absolutely. I'm pretty sure for functionality, the R50 drums perform better than the WD21 discs. I could be wrong, though. :scratchhead:

i have no idea, i am interested in hearing if someone knows or if they do it what the results are...

Okay, I need to clarify this. :doh:

It's not a matter of using the 31-spline shafts. Rather, it's about pressing out the backing plates out of the WD21 axle shafts and then pressing them into the R50 ones. Am I coming to the right conclusion based on what I read on that write-up? :scratchhead:

That sounds about right from what I got. Axle spline count has nothing to do with it (as originally thought).

I think this is a worthwhile upgrade. If the D22 and X use it, and they should have the same drums we do, then this is an upgrade. I'm excited about this.

Jose

That sounds about right from what I got. Axle spline count has nothing to do with it (as originally thought).

I think this is a worthwhile upgrade. If the D22 and X use it, and they should have the same drums we do, then this is an upgrade. I'm excited about this.

Jose

X2, X2, X2!!! :lol:

I'm gonna source a rear WD21 axle with discs and see if I can find a hydraulic press to use. :aok:

X2, X2, X2!!! :lol:

I'm gonna source a rear WD21 axle with discs and see if I can find a hydraulic press to use. :aok:

You don't need a press. Magregor and I did this on his first wd21 (swapped backing plates and bearings). Pm him I am sure he will tell you how to do it.