Another Cross Country Venture...in The Pathy

unccpathfinder

Ok well I've been having the wheeling but pretty bad and now that the 87 is back functioning and i'm on the east coast its killing me that she's just sitting...My contract at my job is up July 31 so the plan is to go out to CA this friday and move everything out of the house there...I will hopefully be putting 31's back on the pathy and thrwoing the 33's, tool box, air compressor, power tools, camping gear, bed, gf (and maybe her 2 kids)and some other miscellaneous odds and ends like dishes and who knows what else...

so my deal is my storage unit is slammed full out there and i've got a ton of parts at the house that I would love to sale cheap and not chunk it...so I get there late friday night and then saturday go to bakersfield for beerfest then sun and monday me and the gf go through the storage unit and house to see what we can chunk/donate and see what we can get in the storage unit (this includes digging out the air compressor which is buried in the storage unit)

So this being said on sunday I plan to make a list here and in the for sale section with rough prices and people can make offers or whatever and I'll sale/ship everything that gets paid for on sunday on monday and everything on monday i'll ship tuesday...

the plan for tuesday is to have everything in storage except for the bed and have everything else loaded into the trailer...I may have to wait and take my 40 gallon saltwater tank apart weds morning before we head out...

so there are 2 plans of driving...if kids in tow we will go to the grandcanyon or something like that on weds and try to average 10 hours a day to NC...if the kids aren't in town I may shoot down to baton rouge or new orleans but get back to SC in 3 days instead of 4...i'm going to be towing a Uhaul trailer which I have to wire up since my old wiring module got toasted not too long ago...but this should be an interesting trip for sure...

after getting to SC (i hope to get keys on friday before i fly out) if not then I def have to be back by 5 on sat to get keys or we wont have a place to stay till monday...we will unpack and I will have to make the "dining area" my lil work area with the tools and probably have to set the aquarium up in the kitchen b/c its the only place there is linoleum...I cant wait to get the truck to URE

I'll probably update along the trip like i have done in the past...this will be the true test of my 95-87 swap

question...towing with a 3" SL and 3" BL without a swaybar...anyone done it and know how awful it may be...i don't think it should be a big deal esp with the 31's back on it but I have a feeling it may present some tail swagger

after looking at trailer rental prices...i may not be renting a trailer and leaving tools in storage lol...

Edited by unccpathfinder

I tow a smaller, lighter trailer once or twice a month and it's nothing (combined trailer weight usually 1/3-1/2ton). But your going to have more weight and overall size. So the extra pounds and wind resistance are likely too make a difference. However, the big question will be how much?

Personally, I would recommend that if you have a sway bar(s) put it on, because it can only help you. Especially if you get into some high winds and/or hard braking/maneuvering.

If you don't have them then hopefully others here will have experience with heavier and/or larger trailers to offer you some input. Picking some up might be a preferred option.

Maybe some one has a parts rig along the way that will let them go for cheap.

Well it looks like for sure no trailer...I chunked the swaybar...it looks like ill be driving with 33s...selling my aquarium and getting the minimum tools I need for work on the truck...I'm going to try and get a spare tire and weld up a hitch receiver to hold it bc driving without a spare isn't intelligent...and we will just eat the cost of fuel on 33s..I also need to get tje front windshield replaced from breaking it like 4 or so years ago

If it's just the sway bar that is keeping you from towing a trailer, I have one on my parts truck that I can ship to you, Bud. That way you don't have to worry about how to carry a spare either...

The most I'd ask is that you cover the shipping and maybe send the drop links back so I can fab up a quick release with them. :shrug:

B

Not sure what the cost for a cross-country trailer rental will be, but have you considered checking Craigslist or local papers classifieds for a cheap trailer? Every now and then you can find something decent for a really good price. Then you can swap tires, carry the 33's, pack the aquarium and any other things that you would have to leave behind due to space... and still possibly save on fuel ;)

yea its like $600 for the trailer...but that's still cheaper than buying a new(or used)tv here, also a bed and some other miscellaneous things...so i've been talking with the gf and we're gonna decide once I get there...I'm not terribly worried about sway b/c I won't be driving my normal b/c i'm towing and if I have her kids in the car then it'll be careful trip as well...

I'm gonna try to get the windshield replaced on Monday after I get there ($188 so thats not too bad i don't think)

I'll def keep some details coming in and if I break down somehwere on the highway someone can come pick me up lol...jk...that would not be a good day

so I'm driving on the 33's the last people to dismount the 31's ate a chunk out of the seal on the tire...I'm pulling a 5x8 trailer and taking the gf and her 2 kids...this is gonna be an interesting trip...

OK for all you So-Cal folks...i've got a ton of parts i'm about to chunk b/c i don't have room for them...if you can get here before 3:00 PM they're ures...I would love a donation (something like $150 or so) but its not required...heres a brief list of parts...front and rear driveshafts...2 front axles (opens)...tons of door mechanisim parts, 2 sets of fender flares, a few sets of heads, bunch of other random parts...

PM me so my phone gets the email if interested b/c i won't be on the lap top much today...I have to finish getting everything to storage, get the front windshield replaced (they'll be here in 45 mins), rewire for the uhaul trailer, get the uhaul trailer, load up, clean the house, go to my old job and pick up a check b/c they realized they owed me $, go get the gf's kids...tear down the fishtank and get some sleep to start our trek in the morning

Stuck on 40 in az...got the truck parked tent up and the gf and kids almost asleep to the idle of tractor trailers and sand blasting the tent...passed 20 miles of people parked...pretty crazy...hope to make ok city tomorrow...

So far with all the wind and trailer and no sway bar I've had no issues...just slow going through the mountains

dust storms, i think

Oh geez, how embarrassing - I live down this way and didn't even know that was happening...

Updates say it's open east and west for now,but wind is still expected thought the day and into tonight. East is better, west faced with an accident this morning, but should be clear by now. Hope you got all the "everything that could go wrong" out in the first leg of the trip, and that the rest will be smooth. (almost said breeze, but I'm sure you've had enough of that for a while)

Horrible wind all day...in amarillo eating now...shooting for Oklahoma city...path has cel come on and is running like dog piss...I out 86 in it but I do know I have some iac issues...can someone post in this thread the procedure 3 (I think) for getting my codes and what the codes translate to so I can check it tonight...all I have is my phone so that would be a big help instead of trying to search

Thanks so much

Mode III - Stored Fault Code Reporting

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Use Mode III to retrive all stored trouble codes in memory.

For V6:

1. Turn the ignition switch on, but do not start the engine. All of the lights in the dash should be on.

2. For VG30i: There is a little plastic tab you pull off of the side of the ECU(facing the door). A small toggle switch is behind it with 2 positions, "ON" and "DIAGNOSTICS". Using a small screwdriver or tool, move it to the diagnostics position. The red and green LED's on top of the ECU will blink simultaneously. One time, pause, then 2 times, three times, pause...so on for each mode, 1 through 5. Mode 3 is the most commonly used mode and will yield the ECU trouble codes you need to figure out what's going on with your engine.

For VG30E with slotted switch: Turn the 'diagnostic mode selector' screw on the ECU fully clockwise. The check engine light will go out. Wait 5 seconds, then turn the screw fully counter clockwise.

3. After it blinks both LED's 3 times move the toggle switch back to the on position. After about five seconds it will start to output out the diagnostic codes as with the 4-cylinder ECU. Note each code as it is displayed, the red LED flashing once for 10's, and the green LED flashing once for 1's. Meaning: One red flash and two green flashes means code 12.

4. To clear the ECU of any trouble codes, move the switch to the "DIAGNOSTICS" position then back to the "ON" position and turn off the key.

1986.5-1995 Nissan ECU Flash Codes(all engines)

11 Crank Angle Sensor/Camshaft Position Sensor.

12 Air Flow Meter/Mass Air Flow Sensor.

13 Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor.

14 Vehicle Speed Sensor.

21 Ignition Signal.

22 Fuel Pump.

23 Idle Switch.

24 Throttle Valve Switch.

25 Idle Speed Control Valve.

28 Cooling Fan Circuit.

31 ECM.

32 EGR Function.

33 Heated Oxygen Sensor.

34 Knock Sensor.

35 Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor.

36 EGR Control-Back Pressure Transducer.

37 Knock Sensor.

38 Right hand bank Closed Loop (B2).

41 Intake Air Temperature Sensor.

42 Fuel Temperature Sensor.

43 Throttle Position Sensor.

44 ECCS Normal Operation.

45 Injector Leak.

47 Crankshaft Position Sensor.

51 Injector Circuit.

53 Oxygen Sensor.

54 A/T Control.

55 No Malfunction.

63 No. 6 Cylinder Misfire.

64 No. 5 Cylinder Misfire.

65 No. 4 Cylinder Misfire.

66 No. 3 Cylinder Misfire.

67 No. 2 Cylinder Misfire.

68 No. 1 Cylinder Misfire.

71 Random Misfire.

72 TWC Function right hand bank.

73 TWC Function right hand bank.

76 Fuel Injection System Function right hand bank.

77 Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Circuit.

82 Crankshaft Position Sensor.

84 A/T Diagnosis Communication Line.

85 VTC Solenoid Valve Circuit.

86 Fuel Injection System Function right hand bank.

87 Canister Control Solenoid Valve Circuit.

91 Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit right hand bank.

94 TCC Solenoid Valve.

95 Crankshaft Position Sensor.

98 Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor.

101 Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit right hand bank.

103 Park/Neutral Position Switch Circuit.

105 EGR and EGR Canister Control Solenoid Valve Circuit.

108 Canister Purge Control Valve Circuit

thanks...after dinner I decided we should just get some good sleep after tentin it last night and I only slept 2 hours bc I was worried about someone screwin with us or the truck and there were some rocks in my back...anywho I will check it out in the morning and hope its only iac but thinking it may be the cas or the dizzy moved

Thanks a ton man!