Roof Rack

pathfinder93x

Hey guys was looking to purchase a roof rack... and mount my lights this weekend on it aswell. Was wondering if anyone had any recommondations for running the wires from the engine bay to the roof rack and also about mounting lights on the roof rack...let me know what you think of this rack.... dont seem to find many distributors of these in canada

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoAccessories/CartopCarriers/PRD~0401146P/SportRack%252BRoof%252BBasket.jsp?locale=en

Thank you

I ran my CB cable up the edge of the windshield/ door frame. Pull the screws that are there and reinstall them with wireclips to hold the wires. :aok:

(Or just drill a hole in the roof and run everything under the headliner and interior panels.)

I have that same rack with the extension. Pretty light in weight. Seems to hold my stuff well enough. It's a nice cheaper alternative. I got mine brand new, still in a box, off of Craigslist for $160.

I have the same roof rack which I bought from CT.

Bolted the lights right to it.

DSC03001.jpg

As for wiring, I installed some relays in the engine compartment then ran a wiring harness down along the bottom of the frame to the back of the truck. Once in the back, I went up through the inner panels and out the roof through the roof trim.

These pictures were before I finished connecting them to the lights, but the rest is finished.

DSC03092.jpg

DSC03093.jpg

Nothing fancy, but it took some time to run the wiring along the frame as there isn't much room down there on my R50.

getting these tires too... any thoughts?/recommendations

BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO $206 +tx

Good tires, been around a long time and considered a standard for many. What size though, that seems a bit expensive. I got the BFG M/T KM2 in 31x10.5" for $169es

B

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know if this is too late for you, but here is what I did to run the wiring for my roof rack lights.

IMG_9836.jpg

Here I took the wiring loom out from the back passengers door wiring bung. It was a very tight fit as I used heavy gauge trailer wiring in my set up as I am drawing over 45 amps with all 5 lights running. 7 core wire was used with one to each light, an earth and a spare that was used for reversing lights at the back of the rack.

Where the wiring runs up the pillar, I used some black double sided ultra sticky rubber tape to hold it in place, then a layer of black duct tape over it for aesthetics. A heat gun was also used to mould the wiring harness first and where the top of the door is I took the sheathing off, flattened the wires out and put some heat shrink over here.

On the roof I have used a flat trailer plug to allow for future removal of the rack should it ever need removing.

IMG_9835.jpg

All this may be an over kill, but I do not like the idea of drilling holes in the roof. Yes I had to to mount the roof rack, and used RTV to seal each one.