Thinking About Picking This Up...

So found this fixer upper for $1k. Thinking I'll offer him around $400 for it. This is the listing http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/1636887507.html Emailed him about the valves and this is what he told me... and I quote....

"Well I replaced the water pump and while I was down there I replaced the timing belt! It's an interferance motor and I put the timing belt on but it must have jumped a few teeth and I think that caused the piston to bent a few valves! I'm not a mechanic but that's my guess because now it has no compression. Yes I do have an extra set of head I have a whole motor for it but I was just going to use the heads off it! It's a great truck for 1000 dollars moat everything under the hood is new"

Anyone have an idea on how much that could run me? Is the motor even repairable? Or would you say it's just a waste of time?

Thanks for any advice. It is much appreciated.

How many miles?? $1000 is a bit steep for a non running, 20 year old truck, but if he threw in the other motor...

Either way, to fix it takes some time, $ and a place to do it. :shrug:

I do know a few people who will want the light bar though... ;)

B

He stated that the motor in it currently has 97k. I have the place to fix it. Kinda unsure on the cost of the fix. Should have time haha. I'm thinking of probably going no higher than 500 for it. $1000 is pretty steep that's for sure.

Yeah I thought about that one. It looks a little more beat, not too sure on how to put in a fuel filter, and the paint looks pretty sun beaten. What do you see in that one Koveman?

...too many doors on the second one. And from what I get out of it the 2 door comes with a spare set of heads(which wold be a lttle harder than a fuel filter FYI)

Don't personally pay 4 didget number prices for cars and can generally keep one (or 3 at the moment) at work while I put it back togher. Me being a 2door person would after making sure their ain a laundry list of other issues wold try to find out the bottom line and go for it, but your situation I would put money down differs from mine a bit.

I decided to check out the $1k pathy and it's in pretty nice shape for that price. It's a '95 SE with LSD and rear disc. It has an upper intake manifold leak and needs some TLC. Then engine and tranny have been replaced, but the maintenance history is completely unknown. The interior is really clean and it even has the moon roof sun shade. It will certainly need a paint job if you care about that kind of thing.

Just like Nunya I am completely unbiased, but I might have a look at the 87. Seems like its got more going for it off the bat to me. Plus you already have a 4-door, don't you? If it checks out, maybe offer the guy $600. Then $800 if he includes the other engine and the full $1000 if he swaps the heads and lets you help. Keep in mind you're going to need at the very least new gaskets, a timing belt kit and a water pump.

Can you change a timing belt? If so, then you can probably swap heads. Take a look at a Chilton's or Haynes manual and check out what's involved. Not too hard really.

Yeah. Got some more pics of the black one. Needs some TLC and a lil more work. I'm thinking I'll offer him 300 for that plus the other motor.

Beastpath gave me a hand with changing the timing belt and water pump on my '95. Wasn't too bad of a job.

Or as Koveman is saying, there is this other pathfinder http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/1665449590.html

Think that one would be the better buy?

I say Pick up that 2 door, Sell those Bucket seats to me for $50 a chair, or sell em on ebay for $200.

It's got a light bar on it, so thats something worth considering.

If its rust free/ light on rust and there inst a Laundry list like you said, I would go for it...

Forget the one I mentioned. I went to buy it and found salt residue on the carpet up under the dash. The thing got dipped in the ocean at one point and I'm not going to subject myself to that can of worms. I wouldn't suggest it for anyone else either.

Looks like there is a bit of a list. Not long though. Offered him $300. See what happens.

It'd be nice to acquire an extra rig for strictly off roading purposes.

A dip in the Ocean?? :scratchhead: That's too bad. Thanks for pointing that one out Koveman. :aok:

...too many doors on the second one. And from what I get out of it the 2 door comes with a spare set of heads(which wold be a lttle harder than a fuel filter FYI)

Nunya...I thought you knew better...there isnt a 2 door pathy,theres a 3 door and a 5 door...and you call your self a pathy fan.

I don't think its a bad price...if the frame isnt rusted all to hell...i'd pay maybe $700-$800 for it max...if its just burning a lil oil from blow by on the valves that's not a big deal...if its ring blow by thats a lil bit bigger of a deal but wouldnt be a show stopper...I think that truck could be parted out easily for $2k...the lightbar and lights would get you at least $200 if not closer to $300...

Yeah. The guy seems pretty firm on $1000. Not to sure how he thinks it's worth anywhere near that. Found another pathy being auctioned off tomorrow. Extremely clean, over $6k put into it for repairs and replacements over the past few years. 205k. Unfortunate that I have to let that one go. Will easily get bidded up to the $2k range.