So, Who Knows About Model Trains?

Kingman

I've got this Lionel Jr. electric train set that my grandma got as a child when she was 8 years old, meaning it was made in 1937. All of the pieces are there, the box is in perfect shape, and the thing works! It's also in extremely good shape. I was wondering if there's any train fanatics on the board that might know more about it or how much it's worth.

IMG00211-20100319-1605.jpg

IMG00210-20100319-1605.jpg

IMG00209-20100319-1605.jpg

IMG00208-20100319-1605.jpg

IMG00207-20100319-1604.jpg

IMG00206-20100319-1604.jpg

IMG00205-20100319-1604.jpg

Edited by Kingman

http://www.maurerail.com/asp/auctionlist.asp?iano=358

Do a page search on that link for 1056e

Looks like one sold for $250

Don't know if that's an accurate appraisal though

I do know that all lionel trains made pre-war carry a high collectors value, I think they were made out of better materials then maybe?

Edited by SC88Pathy

Hmmm, interesting. It's been sitting in the box for about 40 years and it doesn't do me any good. I'm hoping that some old train fanatic will buy it and actually get some use and enjoyment out of it.

Know about em? No... Think they are pretty friggin cool? Yea! Got a hobby shop close by? They should have some decent ideas of the value if a decent shop, not the die cast isle at Toys R Us

Could be worth a lot, we had my Dad's old lionel train set appraised about 7 or 8 years ago and certain parts of it were quite valuable.

Whoa, I didn't even know anyone else replied to this...must have missed it earlier...

I can't seem to find too much on Google or Ebay, other than newer Lionel trains which seem to be extremely expensive. Like, ARB air locker expensive. I did find one caboose for $475. :blink:

I haven't really found any hobby shops I'd trust, most just sell RC cars and plane things and puzzles.

• 3 months later...

Hey how much did you end up fetching for that set?(if you don't mind my asking) I've been MIA for a while, but saw your PM when I signed in.

I don't know anything about trains other than they are cool and a good way to have fun with my boys. I bought all my stuff off ebay for as cheap as possible and before I knew it I had enough track to go around the whole house. lol That's when I built the ceiling layout. I never got to finish the scenery and it's now dissembled since we have moved to Arkansas.

Here's the last video I made before cutting the tracks.

D'OH!

ages ago we moved the house came with a set like that. the big 3 rail I think its called "O"guage (had tons of that, cars, rails, power, speed control lights etc...)and the next size down was HO (half O) and then there was a huge plywood board in the shed with a permanntly fixed "N" (even smaller) setup with terrain and everything detailed on it.

when I got older we trashed it all. Who woulda known that (at least the "O") would have had any worth in the future.

I haven't even sold it yet. I was going to go to a few local train shops and see what they thought, but got caught up in stuff and ended up forgetting about it. It reminds me...I should go probably get it looked at. :lol: