Bumper Mounting

So I'm going to make a front bumper w/stinger and D-rings over spring break, got the bumper plans all set and a plan down, but I'm at a lost for mounting it...

I may tie it into the tow hook stuff with a plate that would run down as a kind of extra skid, but aside from that I don't really have a clue how I should mount it to the actual frame through the front...

How do they mount ARB's there? Or even how have you all done it

I believe you use the same mounting points on the lower frame as a brush guard, then also tie to the mounting points for a standard front bumper for the additional support. Thats how I am designing mine anyway.

wow, really? I would have never guessed that they used the stock two bolts on the frame, I did however know about the brushguard ones...

Do you think for a bumper with just d-rings (no winch) the regular bumper location would work, atleast until I could fab something up to reach to the tow hook?

Thickness of metal used on ARB factory bumper mount spot?

wow, really? I would have never guessed that they used the stock two bolts on the frame, I did however know about the brushguard ones...

Do you think for a bumper with just d-rings (no winch) the regular bumper location would work, atleast until I could fab something up to reach to the tow hook?

Thickness of metal used on ARB factory bumper mount spot?

I doubt it would work with just the bumper attachment. You need a strong attachment to the lower frame

No doubt you could use just the factory bumper mounts, as long as your D rings are only for looks.

Spend the extra time fabricating the lower mounts at the same time as the rest of the bumper, because if your anything like the majority of us, you wont get around (ie too lazy) to take the bar off again to do it the second time.

No doubt you could use just the factory bumper mounts, as long as your D rings are only for looks.

Spend the extra time fabricating the lower mounts at the same time as the rest of the bumper, because if your anything like the majority of us, you wont get around (ie too lazy) to take the bar off again to do it the second time.

Yeah, I mostly meant just for looks until I could get something CNC cut for it

This man knows what he is talking about! I have a ton of unfinished projects laying around.

I plan on building my own bumper too. Waiting on my winch to come in first. I sure could use a lot of up close and different angle pics of an ARB or any other winch bumper you may have. I'm planning to fab it up in wood first so I can see what it will look like before cutting metal.

James

Too true!! :rofl:

This man knows what he is talking about! I have a ton of unfinished projects laying around.

I plan on building my own bumper too. Waiting on my winch to come in first. I sure could use a lot of up close and different angle pics of an ARB or any other winch bumper you may have. I'm planning to fab it up in wood first so I can see what it will look like before cutting metal.

James

I meant to do this, but weather interfered. I will have to remove my ARB to install the winch and another tranny cooler, so I will plan to map it out then. It will be a couple of months though...

B

I made my own bumper and mounts to replace the stock bumper that my girlfriend trashed. I used 2x2x1/4" angle bolted to the tow hook points. I haven't tied it into the original bumper mounts yet since they still need to be "adjusted". Once I do that I will be adding D-rings and I have no doubt that it will hold up to some abuse. I also plan on adding a skid plate between the angle brackets, but I haven't settled on a design.

IMG_3071.jpg

I think you would be ok with the tow hook mounting points and a solid mount to the top bumper mounting hole. I wouldn't bother with the bottom part of the bumper mounting bracket unless you can tie into it from under the body after the lift.

James

I have a newspaper stencil that JADM4X4 drew when he had his winch bar off, not sure if its an ARB or TJM, but either way it will work. I think its still in the back of the truck, might drag it out tonight. and see if I can make sence of it if the dog hasnt destroyed it.

My winch came in now just to find the time to work on the bumper. My Dad and Brother will help me, so between the three of us we should be able to come up with something cool.

I got the smittybuilt 8000 winch. The only winch I ever played with is the 2000# warn on my quad. The 8000# winch is BIG!

James

Oh, btw....I think I got my bumper brackets down...

Im going to use 3x1/4" bar and mount it to the stock 2 bolt locations, and have it go straight up, then i'm going to drill 3 holes and weld nuts onto the back of each hole. Then use another piece of the same material with corresponding holes, going perpendicular out the bumper holes to the steel bar that I will have as my bumper :D

That should help alot with removal

LOL

Considering it can easily pull your pathy up a cliff, it's actually fairly small... ;)

*has one 2 in the garage*

B

Yes just new territory for me but its all good. Just like from a car engine to a big truck, runs the same just bigger. I see you have an ARB bumper. How about some close up pics of it? Some good shots from the front, sides, underneath and the mounting brackets. Sure would help us alot.

James

Since you are building new, just run some steel from the frame mount points, and bolt it in place. I ran 2 (one per side) 1"x3/8" bar stock back from the bumper to the upper bumper mount point on the frame, drilled a hole and bolted it in place. (My main mounts are to the tow hook locations.) You can see them in this pic:

evolutionb.jpg