Welded Differentials

hardlydangerous

Has anyone tried or currently running a welled diff or two?

I had a welded 9" ford diff in my 84 s-10 w/400sb and mini spool in my 99 Chevy Xtreme.

I never had any issues but these were street/drag machines with low pro tires, never used off road. I plan on wheelin this truck, but keeping fairly small tires on it, maybe 31's. I would love to have a locker but thats a lot of coin to spend on a bugdet build.

If these diffs are strong enough I think I would just weld up the rear.

Any thoughts?

Yea, staying on 31s i dont see any strength problems with welding up the diff, aside from the expected wear that happens in result of the welded rear.

You'll be fine

like I said I have run a mini spool and welded diff in trucks before but...

one was a 9" ford (VERY STRONG) the only other set up was a mini spool in a stock chevy s-10 so I understand about the tire wear completely.

The truck will not be a dialy driver, just a back up machine, hauling bikes to the track, off roading and winter beater. No city town driving around here

I have never run a welded diff on a small stuck/SUV. I know some of the Subaru, DSM and nissan cars run them and its said that the lighter diffs tend to break pretty easy. If these are a fairly strong differential then I would have no problem mig welding one up solid.

but if they tend to have issues then I would rather leave it stock.

They are quite strong and I have rarely heard of people having issues with them be they open, LSD or locked although mechanical or air lockers are preferred over welded. It should be fine from what I understand.

B

The Nissan H233B axle is just as strong as a Ford 9", you're not going to break it with 31's

We have members running up to 35's with little problems. They only start running into problems when running 35's with extra low gears locked in the rear. You would have to be thrashing it really hard to do any damage to the rear with 31's

The front is a different situation entirely though, the CV joints aren't really designed to handle the stress of being locked. Some members run front lockers with no issues though

I had 1 extra disc (each side)in my LSD and arround sharp turns It pretty much acted like it was welded. I took them out but one day I may get the extra disc machined down and try again.