Squishy Brakes! Wtf?

headpeace

Put on new front pads, brakes were squishy to the floor, bled x2 still squishy to the floor. Any ideas? Last time I put new front pads on all was good, no bleeding necessary. WTF? The booster seemed good before I put the new pads on today

That is weird, I just pumped mine a few times to seat the caliper to the pad then it was fine. Did your master cylinder get low? Try bleeding the brakes in the proper order RR, RL, ABS pump, FR, FL.

Some people have had a bitch of a time bleeding the abs pump

Just to be clear, the brakes were fine, you changed the pads (front only?) and then it was squishy??

If so, x3 on the brake bleed and double check the calipers for proper mounting or movement. Inspect the brake lines for leaks also. Does the MC reservoir fluid level drop?

B

thanks for the replies, I will do a complete system bleed tomorrow, been really busy today. But yes just the front pads and when I say I bled x2 that was only the fronts. And yes to your q's B

thanks for the replies, I will do a complete system bleed tomorrow, been really busy today. But yes just the front pads and when I say I bled x2 that was only the fronts. And yes to your q's B

Did you bleed out the fluid as you retracted the caliper piston, or force it all back to the MC? Might have pushed some crud back into the system. :shrug:

no I didn't, if thats the case how would I get the crud out? They seem to flow quite freely when I bled them

:shrug:

I usually bleed out everything until I get new fresh fluid when I change pads.

you have any leaks? i have killed calipers in the past pushing them back in, sometimes its all a worn caliper needs to die, and if your getting fluid pushing past a broken seal no ammount of belading is going to take the "squish" out of the breaks.

is it a good practice to gravity bleed the rear?

ive never trusted gravity bleeding, just too much chance of getting air back in, just go to harbor freight and get a cheap brake pump, makes everything sooo much simpler.

Gravity bleed to me is crackign a bleeder loose with the mc cap off and walking away for a while until you get a steady fluid stream out of the bleeder( watching the fluid level, not really walking away). Doeing it in the correct bleed sequence. It has gotten me by until I was able to get someone to hold pressure on the pedal but I generally like to stick with the "have someone pump and someone work the bleeder" method.