Need Towing Advice

skulptr

ok we're pulling out of washington and moving down to arizona to join my biological family in mesa. its a 1400 mile drive, so here's my dilemma.

we have 2 cars, i will not get rid of either. we're only taking what we value most, out animals, and our clothes. my plan is to load down one car and tow it with the pathy.

the other car is a 99 accord, weights about 1800 lbs unloaded with a full tank.

i can either put this accord on a trailer and tow it, or get a tow bar for it and pull it. with a trailer i risk over loading the tongue weight of the pathy, and my rear springs are shot. but if i tow it with the tow bar i lose any extra capacity i would have with the extra space on the trailer.

should i take the risk and use a trailer, or tow it. and does it make more sense to use a tow bar, since no downward force is applied to the tongue that way, the car supports its own weight, all it needs is propelled.

i want to replace my rear springs before i go, i saw somewhere on here but cant seem to again, about putting f250 springs in place, dont really care if i get lifted or not, just want that extra support and stiffness in the rear.

another and by far the cheapest option that just popped up would be using a tow dolly. i don't trust them, i had a mint pulsar get ripped up by one. but the guy that loaded it was also an Idot. suggestions?

Edited by skulptr

You won't have much more usable space on the car trailer anyway so I don't see that as a win. Dolly VS towbar: I assume there is no drawback to the towbar other than racking up the miles?? If so, I'd use a tow bar (probably cheaper) and put a roof rack on the Honda so you can strap crap, or even a roof carrier, to it... ;)

B

You won't have much more usable space on the car trailer anyway so I don't see that as a win. Dolly VS towbar: I assume there is no drawback to the towbar other than racking up the miles?? If so, I'd use a tow bar (probably cheaper) and put a roof rack on the Honda so you can strap crap, or even a roof carrier, to it... ;)

B

tow bar for this will run about 1100 minimum for install new, damned if i can find one used. tow dolley i might be able to find used.

Crap, I didn't know they cost that much!! Yeah, look for a used dolly. A co-worker bought one for 3 or $400 as that was what renting one would cost when he moved from Az to Ca. See how much a 1 way rental would be also...

B

having 1 of the cars shipped isnt too much.. my sister just shipped her jetta from NJ to WA for around $1000 and that would save the major strain on the pathfinder.... i wouldn't tow that much with a pathfinder for that length...

If the weak coils are your fear and you ain't gonna replace before you move you could always get those little helper block things you twist into the coils. They are like $20 for a set and will help a "little". Cost wise I'd say try to find a cheap used tow dolly, get some GOOD saftys and tie downs and when you arrive you could always sell it again...

ok so if i want to just stiffen up the rear end, ya know make it so it doesnt sag under the weight of my hitch bike rack or cargo rack, without a lift, without temporary things like bags and blocks, what should i replace these springs with? i'm tired of putting 2 bikes off my hitch and my arse sags like i just put cement bags in the back

• 3 weeks later...

My 1995 has Jeep springs in it, I didn't install them but it's something to think about. You could probably grab a couple from the wreckers for cheap.

jeep what is the question. i see people talking about jeep springs all the time, but never what kind of jeep, what year, nothin. its fluteratinnn :wacko:

Ummmm, when I read this "the other car is a 99 accord, weights about 1800 lbs unloaded with a full tank."

I thought to myself...WHAT???? 1800 pounds...ummm maybe a 1968 MG midget wieghs that much....maybe. I had an 89 accord that was like 2500 lbs....

So I looked it up...I think your car wieghs at least 3,000 lbs. this is the link for the 2-door LX which would be the lightest 99 accord sold......

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1999/honda/accord/11985/specs.html

Edited by mickyficky

yeah what ever to the weight, doesnt bother me, still want to know what these mystical springs from what mystical jeep are used in the rear of an r50, since what was said, was for a wd21.

Ummmm, when I read this "the other car is a 99 accord, weights about 1800 lbs unloaded with a full tank."

I thought to myself...WHAT???? 1800 pounds...ummm maybe a 1968 MG midget wieghs that much....maybe. I had an 89 accord that was like 2500 lbs....

So I looked it up...I think your car wieghs at least 3,000 lbs. this is the link for the 2-door LX which would be the lightest 99 accord sold......

http://www.edmunds.c...1985/specs.html

I was thinking the same thing, we had a '99 Accord once and it's not a small car...

I remember reading on here somewhere about using newer Ford F-series coils or something like that, not really sure though...

Edited by Kingman

Taking in to consideration the weight of the Accord plus the weight of the trailer (and the weight of the stuff that would fill the 'extra trailer space' you mention), I think you will be over the max towing capacity for the pathy, especially for that distance. If you must tow the Accord, I would pull it without the trailer and would not load it up with anything. My buddy did the same thing in his 4-runner and when he was done towing a car across country his tranny was blown...$2500...shipping would be less.

Just my 2 cents, good luck with your move :beer:

I remember reading on here somewhere about using newer Ford F-series coils or something like that, not really sure though...

thats what i read, but i cant find where it was, or which series or size. i can get ahold of those springs liek crazy for free.

and the move is now off :thumbsdown: since my wife is pregnant she doesnt want to be that far away from her family until a while after the baby is born. :itsallgood:

but none the less i still want to stiffen that rear end up.