Over Heating

jpnjames

i changed the t stat(thanks to grim gregs instructions on a 30 min tstat change) . the rad should be good because it was fine in my other pathy. could my timing be off? is there something that could cause both over heating and high idle speeds? any insight on this problem would be greatly appreciated!!!! trying to get her into tip top shape before i put her on 33" tires... problem fixed it was the tstat. i had the tstat laying around the house for about a year maybe it got dameged. it seems like the new tstat fixed the high idle. it was stuck open. she seems to be a little slugish now. thinking about cleaning the maf censor. thank you for the help!!!!!! you know my wifes old pathy bucked liked a bull for about 4 years and thanks to this site i now know it was just the maf censor. this is really a great site.

Edited by jpnjames

Yes, advancing your timing too far will raise your idle a little as well as causing the engine to run a little hot, but it shouldn't be "overheating" nor idling at 2,000RPM. I suspect 2 different problems, you can manually turn your idle down via a screw facing the sky on the throttle body linkeage. As for overheating, I'd look into making sure your fan clutch is engaging properly, no air pockets in the cooling system (hoses), a radiator cap that holds sufficient pressure, a water pump that's functioning properly, and that you have the thermostat in the correct way and not reversed.

Did you put the thermostat in the right way? Do you have flow through the radiator?

Burp the cooling system also...

B

x2

As for the idle, check that your linkage isn't bound up. The idle issue "could" be related if you do have an air pocket and the little thermo thing is stuck out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Where would one find these 30min t-stat change instructions? Is there a write up somewhere on the site? Cheers.

sorry it took so long for me to get back to you.it wasnt a write up more like a slightly sarcastic comment. best way to find out is to ask grimgreg. i cant remember where i saw it

Basically, drain the radiator, pull the AC idler pulley, remove the upper radiator hose, use a (IIRC 10mm) swivel socket and undo the 3 T-stat bolts, pop the housing open and swap the stat, then assemble in reverse.

Something like that, it's been a while, but wasn't difficult, the swivel socket is the key.

• 1 month later...

Basically, drain the radiator, pull the AC idler pulley, remove the upper radiator hose, use a (IIRC 10mm) swivel socket and undo the 3 T-stat bolts, pop the housing open and swap the stat, then assemble in reverse.

Something like that, it's been a while, but wasn't difficult, the swivel socket is the key.

Well I wish Id read this before I pulled my T-stat this morning. Did exactly that but it took an hour to figure it out.