Vg30 Engine Swap

Nytrosfinder

I am planning on bringing my pathfinder home in mid march and doing an engine swap on it. I am gonna try and do a direct Vg30-Vg30 Swap for the sake of money, time and resources.

Anything I should know about doing a swap specifically for the pathfinder world?

I don't plan on buying an engine with more than 100k miles on it or one that will cost me $1k.

I've done it a few times.

It'll definitely be nice to have a helping hand. just stay organized and you can have it done in a few short days.

There is really no trick to it... just put it all back the same way it came out :wiggle:

I might have Unccpathfinder Help me out and I got 3 other friends who are gonna help me, One has build a '69 El Camino from a rolling rust bucket to a beauty, One who works with Turbo Diesels, and one who is in school for engine work.

I think I am set with helping hands and if I can find a motor we might be able to get it in her in one night(Slim chance but I wanna feel optimistic)

I'd give yourself more time that that and there is no substitute for daylight. Bag and tag everything and have people work on specific things or you may run into the 'too many cooks' scenario. All in all, it really isn't that hard but there are some tricks like pulling the tranny back and removing the radiator to get the motor out so you don't have to remove the front differential (IIRC).

Both Slick and k9sar have swapped motors and done some sort of write ups. I know there are more, I just can't remember who.

:search:

Too bad you aren't closer, I have a spare motor with 130k on it that runs perfectly to sell...

B

I'd give yourself more time that that and there is no substitute for daylight. Bag and tag everything and have people work on specific things or you may run into the 'too many cooks' scenario. All in all, it really isn't that hard but there are some tricks like pulling the tranny back and removing the radiator to get the motor out so you don't have to remove the front differential (IIRC).

Both Slick and k9sar have swapped motors and done some sort of write ups. I know there are more, I just can't remember who.

:search:

Too bad you aren't closer, I have a spare motor with 130k on it that runs perfectly to sell...

B

B basicly covered it, along with the simplicity of Steeevo's comment. Done it with a KA Hardbody by myself in 1 day besides being too tired at the end of the day and drove a weekend with no hood and half a fan shroud(broke it). Remember how it came out and reverse procedure to put it in. And watch yo udon't get to many hands in the cookie jar, that is worse than not enough... especially if someone wants to be the "hero"

Its really not that bad of a job. A friend helped me do it and I had almost no mechanical knowlege at the time. I was really surprised how straight forward it was. Like everyone said, make sure you bag everything and take your time.

I would say that 2 people working on it at a time is enough. Not much room to have a 3rd person.

If you are going to install headers or cams now is the time to do it too.

How much would you sell it for?

I was hoping to get $500 for it long block style but it is what the market will bear also. I kinda want to keep it as I think it runs better than what is in my daily driver, but do I really need 2 motors?? Probably not...

B

I was hoping to get $500 for it long block style but it is what the market will bear also. I kinda want to keep it as I think it runs better than what is in my daily driver, but do I really need 2 motors?? Probably not...

B

... thats one of the reasons I keep my parts truck around. Nice running 120k miled smoker between the fenders.

There's an access panel for those in the floor I believe.

Motor swaps aren't difficult at all, it's mostly common sense. Write down or remember the order and placement of things as you unhook them, and reverse the order as stated before. You'll be fine. :aok:

I was thinking of cutting a couple of 2inch hole on the floor just above the shifter when I did my wifes transnission so I can access it from above coz it took me a long time to get those 2 top bolts out without having to use long extensions flex extensions and somebody underneath the truck guiding my socket on those bolts

For you guys who did the swap, Did you take the whole front end off like the radiator support bumper and what have you

Edited by PATHRIDER

I was thinking of cutting a couple of 2inch hole on the floor just above the shifter when I did my wifes transnission so I can access it from above coz it took me a long time to get those 2 top bolts out without having to use long extensions flex extensions and somebody underneath the truck guiding my socket on those bolts

best way is to use long extensions and wobble sockets unless you go through the shifter. its not that bad really

best way is to use long extensions and wobble sockets unless you go through the shifter. its not that bad really

come to think of it maybe I shouldve used wobble extension instead of the one like a u joint then I wont need anybody underneath trying to get the socket to mate up with the bolts

It might be easier if its got a body lift though coz when I did the transmission I could barely see those 2 bolts with the motor and transmission sitting too close to the floor even going through the shifter

Any tricks on getting the 2 bolts up on top where the transmission mounts on the motor..When I replace the transmission on my 94 those 2 bolts are the a pita to remove

I used a long extension, 18 or 24", with a universal joint and another 4 or 6" extension. I had a buddy hold guide/hold the socket on the bolt head from above (or the sides) in the engine bay (you can just get a hand in there) and out they came without any trouble. 5 minutes total time for both of them? :shrug:

Yet another reason for a lift kit, they would be easy as pie then... :D

B

... thats one of the reasons I keep my parts truck around. Nice running 120k miled smoker between the fenders.

Agreed, but the one in my DD is about to hit 102k miles so I shouldn't need a spare soon... :shrug:

B

AT... and I got Everything we need... Except PB Blaster... I am gonna stop at Napa and grab like 6 cans and stock up...

I'll send you a message on FB with my cell number... Shoot me a text and I will give you the low down...

Btw I got 3 friends of mine who have auto experience who will be there to help out... they may be doing other stuff for me while We pull the motor...

Figured you of all people would be a bigger help!

cool...i've got some tools here but my main box is still in CA...if u have access to a tranny jack that may be helpful if we cant get the tranny back far enough to get the engine out...maybe you'll have the 1st truck i've worked on that didnt require the front axle to be dropped out to get the engine out...

just gimmie a buzz when it gets closer to time

I used a long extension, 18 or 24", with a universal joint and another 4 or 6" extension. I had a buddy hold guide/hold the socket on the bolt head from above (or the sides) in the engine bay (you can just get a hand in there) and out they came without any trouble. 5 minutes total time for both of them? :shrug:

Yet another reason for a lift kit, they would be easy as pie then... :D

B

Got yah Bud...I had a buddy guiding the socket from underneath probably why we had a hard time.Thanks B

Edited by PATHRIDER

Any tricks on getting the 2 bolts up on top where the transmission mounts on the motor..When I replace the transmission on my 94 those 2 bolts are the a pita to remove

if you take off the filler tube, you can reach behind the engine and tackle it with a ratcheting box end wrench 14mm

worked well for threading the bolts aswell

Edited by 4X4pathy94