Engine Cutting Out

Kingman

Alright, here's another problem, this one's even fancier! It started the other day at random when picking my friend up from driver's ed. I'll be driving along and suddenly I have ZERO power, RPMs stay up though so it's like the engine is running but not running, as if it's not getting spark. When it cuts out I can have my foot to the floor and nothing happens, no exhaust noise or anything and then BAM power is back full throttle. It seems to do it right after I shift at lower RPMs, around 2000-2500. It idles perfectly fine and I can freely rev it to redline in neutral, only when it's under load does it cut out. I checked, double checked, and triple checked the plug wires, connections, and the coil. The ECU shows code 55, go freakin' figure. I uploaded a video, and I apologize for the language but I was pissed. Anyone had this problem before or have any idea where to start?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUpwo0eti4I

right after you shift? right when you go from letting off the gas ->to dumping more fuel in there to accelerate... could it be fouling out? did you look @ the pulgs themselves? are they dark or oily?

I'm at work and didn't watch the video, but my last pathy did something like that when the center (coil) electrode in the distributor cap disappeared. It was literally arcing from the electrode spring down to the rotor to run. It stumbled a bit at lower RPM but otherwise ran ok.

It's a quick, easy check. :shrug:

B

I checked a plug, cap, and rotor before I headed off to school this morning because it was light out, and they look perfect. I didn't do anything more than slip the cap off and look at the rotor and cap contacts and I didn't have time to pull all the plugs.

We have Sophomore tours today and tomorrow in shop so I can't look into it there... :thumbsdown:

It didn't do it at all last night, or this morning. :shrug:

My 87 did something similar once. Not exactly the same symptoms, but it ended up being the MAF sensor connector contacts were loose. When the engine is under load, it'll move a bit from the torque. If you haven't done it already, maybe start wiggling wires around while its idling. Good luck.

I've noticed that whenever the starting issue happens, it it'll cut out at some point.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=25513&st=0&p=469007&fromsearch=1&&do=findComment&comment=469007

JJ, to try and solve the starting issue I went through and cleaned up all the contacts on the MAF sensor and made sure they were solid.

Adam, rain or shine, doesn't make a difference. It's been clear skies for the pat week almost and it's still doing it.

I found it! There must be a crack or something in the coil wire, if I wiggle it just right it will run strong. So I took some electrical tape and taped it at a certain angle to the cap. :D

Ghetto...