Calipar Stuck Piston

ac92pathfinder

how are you pressing the caliper? you may need a little more muscle (I typically use a large C-clamp)

if the caliper is bad, I have been told they should be replaced in pairs (something to do with keeping them equal?). try tapping the brake pedal a little, see if it moves any, or gets it unstuck.

If you can't get it loose, you will need a new one. (Even if you can loosen it, I would replace it, but I understand if money is tight. Just keep an eye on it.) There are rebuild kits, but they can be a pain and just replace seals, not the sticking piston.

ya looks like the piston popped out but its not. im gonna try tapping on the backs i have a clamp on it right now with pressure on it. if i do need to replace it im gonna get a used one for now. ya i know i be chanceing it. a used one will be good till i could get a new one. thanks

its fixed i tapped on the brakes and open the resevor and the piston when right in. but one question i noticed when i backed out i noticed one of those clips that clip on the caipar mount the brack pads slides on them i saw one laying on the ground are they really that important to tare apart and put back on? i didnt notice any clunking or anything. if it is i'll put it back on. thanks

Need to see pics of this clip.

When I bought my 91 she had a stuck rear piston, so I crossed my fingers and pumped the brake to pop it out. Cleaned up the rust with a light sand using 600gt sandpaper.

popped it back in (still with the old seals) and has been good ever since, touch wood.

^x2 I believe those are retaining/positioning clips, not vibration shims.

Need to see pics of this clip.

When I bought my 91 she had a stuck rear piston, so I crossed my fingers and pumped the brake to pop it out. Cleaned up the rust with a light sand using 600gt sandpaper.

popped it back in (still with the old seals) and has been good ever since, touch wood.

Hack!! Why didn't you take it to a belt sander?? :tongue:

Do you need me to send some 2000 grit??

B

I've freed up stuck caliper pistons by grabbing what was sticking out of the caliper with channel locks and turning it for a bit( a fiew FULL turns, not just a little nudge). Still worked fine the day I scrapped that truck. As for the clips...USE THEM. And if I cna make a suggestion, get a little bit of brake lube and put a small coating on them on the side that contacts the pads. I know some people don't but I do...