Cold Start Up Valve Tick

I would suggest its broken exhaust manifold studs, very common problem. Search is your friend here.

either two things, exhaust manifold leak (as the manifold heats up, the metal expands and closes the leak....) or, the typical hydraulic valves showing their age and ticking until the oil fully

circulates. As they age and wear, they start to loose the ability to retain oil in them and they can then tick/tap some at cold start up for a moment or two. Not a huge thing really, more annoying than anything. I just replaced half of mine because I was getting tired of the noise. but I did find two damaged ones in the process.

I'm certain it is the exhaust manifold leaking slightly (sounds like a tick). This can be caused by warped manifolds and/or broken exhaust studs. You can ignore it until it doesn't go away when it is warmed up, at which point it should be addressed. My first pathy did this and I ignored it for 2 years, after which it went away by its self.

B

If you have a high mileage engine, it is the lifters acting up on cold starts. Check your engine bay for black spots, if you have a leaking manifold you will see carbon deposits where the leaks are. If there aren't any leaks, don't worry about it. ;)

my engine has 224k on it and the lifters are noisy on startup, more so on the passenger side bank, but once you drive it around and it warms up it's good to go!

I wonder if running a 300zx oil pump would help lifters last longer. It averages about 5-10 psi higher(depending on rpm). More hydraulic psi less wear?

Its allot of work to swap a pump but maybe during an engine swap or build it could be done?

I wonder if running a 300zx oil pump would help lifters last longer. It averages about 5-10 psi higher(depending on rpm). More hydraulic psi less wear?

Its allot of work to swap a pump but maybe during an engine swap or build it could be done?

is it a psi issue or a volume issue?

I have also heard that using an oil filter without and anti-backflow valve on it can cause the oil to drain down resulting in the lifter tick.

confirmed, but the oil leaks outta the lifters when the truck sits too...

this is typical in all aged cars...there is so much sludge blocking oil flow that the engine needs to warm the oil so it can flow where it needs it. you can try using a lighter weight oil...but as long as the tick goes away after the engine warms a few minutes then there isn't any major problem. a permanent fix would be a valve job and media blast the head.

If it is your lifters making the tick noise it is from varnish build up inside the lifters. You can try dumping a quart of marvel mystery oil in the motor with your next oil change. Cleans it out gradually so nothing gets plugged up. Just make sure you change your oil often. But like everyone else stated, if you can ignore it, it won't hurt anything.

James

I've always had good luck with mine since I switched to 5w-30w synthetic oil. It was a trick I learned from the Miata forums a few years ago, the girlfriend and I used to keep a Miata around for summer night cruising, sorta like an MG that won't leave you stranded. Older Miatas have notoriously noisy lifters on a cold start.

Synthetic oil holds it viscosity better than dinosaur oil so it really is thin 5w on a cold start and can flow through the sludge. The downside, as has been mentioned in these forums, it can cause leaks and higher oil consumption in high mileage engines. If you notice either of these symptoms change back.

I'm just glad my Pathfinder VG's still kickin so strong at 200k to have this problem. I expect nothing less from Nissan.

Edited by dhardison

I just ignored my lifter noises for years, finally got around to replacing them just because it was getting on my nerves.....and since I found two that had damaged tips on them (pieces missing) where they meet the rocker arms (rocker arms are fine by the way), I decided to go ahead and just replace all of them. I already did the passenger side where the damaged ones were, one NEW lifter failed so I had to put one the old ones back in for now (defective part...thank you rock auto! and yes they are refunding me the $) and I'm about to order 7 more from akorahill along with a new plenum gasket and IAC valve.

My lifter noise started out as just initial cold start up tapping, but has since gotten to where I can hear them tapping even long after full warm up and while cruising down the road when I get on the gas. Yes there was some sludge but nothing unexpected....all looked normal from normal wear and tear. I also watched them operate while the valve cover was removed to check for good oil flow through all the lifters and soforth. You can do this (passenger side at least) for a short while as some oil will spatter out into the engine bay....)

250,000+ miles and stiiiiiiill going!