Mixture Heater Issue

MY1PATH

Ok so I've had this burnt fusable link for some time and when I replaced it 1 wire burnt again so I replaced again and that same wire went. I followed that wire back to the P.T.C Relay and then to the mixture heater and back to ground. I'm sure There are no other items on this circut.

So I put a meeter on the Mixture heater and it was about 1ohm or less is that too little? has it shorted inside the grid?

I'm gonna assume that my vehicle has run without it working thru the coldest of the winter with the only side effect being warm up a little richer and a "Stale Chereeos exhuast smell" as one of my co-workers called it lol. anyway I was considering installing a cleanly gutted one for better airflow as I know others have done the same and I'll add a fuel-line heater to help compensate for the lack of mixture heating ablitly its had.

What do you guys think?

I did some tests and it seems the ECU shuts off the mixture heater once the coolant temp reaches a certain point(aprox 150F). THe rest of the time its just a thick waffle grid stitting below my throttle body. It can't throw any codes because the ECU controls it thru a relay so its in-directly connected.

Edited by MY1PATH

When I was having a string of issues (long ago) I ended up replacing mine and it did noticeably help with idle conditions when cold. Did it really need it? Probably not, but as I said is did make a small but noticeable difference.

And as you pointed out, lots of people have removed the grid from them and ran without. Most people I don't think install any kind of in-line warmer, just deal with a little richer and/or rougher cold running.

Guess it comes down to you and your preference.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I lucked out on this one!viannen_09.gif

I swaped out the bad mixture heater for the Gutted one today and I could plainly see where the Mixture Heater shorted out

MixHshort.jpg

What I think all you TBI folks should see (z24i & vg30i) Is how extremely brittle the shorted out area becomes.

MixHcrumble.jpg10000.gif

those pieces crumbled off with very gentle finger proding. I'm aware of the severe damage potential they posess once loose I am happy that they did not come loose sooner.

Edited by MY1PATH

do not poke untill it is safely out of your manifold. I'm not kidding, I could have knocked those pieces free with a small soft feather

th_MixHcrumble.jpg10000.gif

Edited by MY1PATH

Honestly, I can't really tell the differance. Technically its a performance mod because its opening up the intake but I can't claim any gains yet. Maybe my other engine issues are messing with the result (13 mpg and exhuaust popping) and maybe once I get that sorted out it will grant me a 1/4 mpg but I can't see it doing much more in the way of power.

10000.gif -The concept is good and I can sleep well knowing it don't have a crumbly waffle grid sttting in my intake.- 10000.gif

Edited by MY1PATH

I thought you fixed the temp sensor that you thought was the problem?

I hoped it was the problem, but it did not solve it 4 me. I can when the ecu reaches closed loop because it cuts power to the heater plug and it does that @ about 140f-150f.

I'm still trying to narrow it down but its looking like a dirty valve issue sice I could see intake 3&4 when I took the TBI off. I'll also be tesing for injector leaks 2day.

Edited by MY1PATH

I have no idea, maybe some sort semi condutive metal embeded textile, like maybe sivler embeded ceramic?

So that when the currnet runs across the embeded particles it it heats up like a resistior would.

could be something else tho.

Damn I get better than that in my Titan! At least most of the time.

James

I think that has been resloved, MPG's are on the way up won't know till I fill again but I think I may be getting better than I used to for my horrible On base driving.

You try being forced to drive 15-20mph to and from work everyday with your titan and tell me what your MPGs look like.

Edited by MY1PATH

I think that has been resloved, MPG's are on the way up won't know till I fill again but I think I may be getting better than I used to for my horrible On base driving.

You try being forced to drive 15-20mph to and from work everyday with your titan and tell me what your MPGs look like.

I only live 4 miles from work and its all start and stop driving but I do get to higher speeds than 15 to 20. Most of the dumb Ass drivers around here want to drive 30 and 35 in a 55 mph zone, so my drive to work could be pleasant if it weren't for stupid people. I take my bike most of the time unless its raining. When gas hit $4 a gallon a couple of years ago I bought a motorcycle hoping to get 50 to 60 mpg. But when I walked into the dealer I fell in love with the biggest sport cruiser they had on the floor. A Suzuki boulevard 109. It was just so bad ass looking stock! So my average fuel mileage back and forth to work is 34 mpg, but it's better than the 13 to 14 in the titan.

I still have not checked the mileage in the pathfinder, it may be just as bad as yours.

My drive is not as bad as yours but I do pass alot. My other average in the titan is 15 and 18 to 19 on the highway and the boulevard averages 37 and 45 to 50 on the highway. These figures show how much I run the hell out of them going to work driving with idiots and cell phones.

James

Honestly, I can't really tell the differance. Technically its a performance mod because its opening up the intake but I can't claim any gains yet. Maybe my other engine issues are messing with the result (13 mpg and exhuaust popping) and maybe once I get that sorted out it will grant me a 1/4 mpg but I can't see it doing much more in the way of power.

10000.gif -The concept is good and I can sleep well knowing it don't have a crumbly waffle grid sttting in my intake.- 10000.gif

How was your idle when you rplaced the unit. I ask because i just did this mod today and my idle went NUTS. Revving up high, then dropping below 250rpm. it would do this 5 or 6 times before the engine shut down. I managed to fix the shutting down, but the idle is still erattic.

The weirdest thing is that it's only while driving around. When I'm in my parking stall, outside, she idles close enoug tho fine for me not to worry.

How was your idle when you rplaced the unit. I ask because i just did this mod today and my idle went NUTS. Revving up high, then dropping below 250rpm. it would do this 5 or 6 times before the engine shut down. I managed to fix the shutting down, but the idle is still erattic.

The weirdest thing is that it's only while driving around. When I'm in my parking stall, outside, she idles close enoug tho fine for me not to worry.

I had no change in anthing other than peace of mind.

I suspect a vacum problem in your case;

Did all your vacum lines go back in the same place?

Could you have disturbed an old line enough to crack it?

Did you put your fuel lines back In the right postion on the FPR? (one from filter goes on the lower fitting and return line goes on the curved upper fitting.)

My truck runs exactly the same as it did before I removed it.