Headlights BOTH randomly go off, and turn back on?

zeppelindrummer

yeah... mine seem to not turn on, more than they want to be on, so i need to find the lose connection. It's obviously not anywhere near just the single light, because otherwise only one would go out. So i'm assuming it's somewhere close in the dashboard or in the steering column? I'll start my search friday.

Any input would be helpful, if anybody has a wiring schematic for the headlights out of a haynes or chiltons, that would be awesome, i just ordered one, cuz i lost my old one, and they don't have them at my auto stores... i have to special order them.

Thanks

-Zepp

Maybe the connector for the switch needs it's pins cleaned up.

the ground might be in the engine bay. I would still turn the headlight switch to on and havea bulb out and go test and see if its getting power at the end of the bulb plug that will tell you its a bad bulbs or a bad ground. if now thenu have a problem somewhere between there and the switch just a thought i mentioned it over text

Edited by edicer2

Well i just went and did some trouble shooting on the very dark drive home from work. haha

So if i make a hard jerk to the left with the steering wheel, i've found the lights will turn back on.

I was heading to the local mudpit, which is frozen in spots, so i figured i'd be a bumpy ride (trying to see if the bump is what's causing the off turning of the lights) And it isn't. Im pretty sure its not the switch, because going crazy turning the switch on and off brights/normal beams, did nothing.

in return with the left/on rule, i'm pretty sure turning right turns them back off. I feel like, a wire/wires in the steering column must be pulled and compressed causing the lights to turn on and back off. I'm checking it out tomorrow morning, so i'll report back with my findings!!

wish me luck!

-Zepp

Wow, that was a pain, everything looks solid, and i'm not going to go and undo all of the wiring to see if i can find something wrong.. because i'm pretty sure i wont be able to visually notice anything wrong.

I might just hardwire the headlights in with an auxilary switch.

Does that sound like a... horrible idea? I'm just unsure on the volts/watts of the headlights, and how the high/low beams would work if i were to do that.

-Zepp

I don't recommend it (using an aux switch); you will lose easy hi/lo switch access (will have to take hand off steering wheel), when you need it, and it is usually a good idea not to rig something. perhaps for a short term fix, but it should be fixed properly (and you will feel 100x better about the outcome).

pull the harness of of the light, test for continuity on ground (should be constant) and test for voltage.

will start to pinpoint problems.

have you checked the relays, yet?

ignore the bottom half of the picture:

9004-H4%20connectors%20thmb.jpg

Edited by BenStoked

These lights aren't relayed from the factory. I would check under the hood and look for any hacked or rigged wiring from the previous owner. I found some when my DS headlight would keep going off.

I followed all the cables under the hood, and everything looks stock, super taped up, and untouched.

That's why it'll be a huge PIA to try and find something that looks like it's messed up, because everything looks as it should, eventhough, somewhere, something is effed. That's why i wanna take the easy road, and just wire up an AUX switch to the lights so i can finally drive again.

Zanman, come over. i'll pay for half your gas. lets figure out my lights, and then go muddin!

-Zepp

Does you vehicle have an alarm system? I know a while back when I messed around with the connectors to mine in the steering column I accidentaly pulled one out of the quick connects up in there and had no lights at all.

Check the ground fo rthe headlamps.

Check the relay box on the right side firewall for loose/corroded connections underneath and the fusable links and their connectors inside the box are clean. (might want to disconnect the battery for this)

Check for bad spots on the wiring harness, frayed/chewed, etc.

Edited by Alkorahil

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, i'm pretty sure something is lose in the steering column. Cuz i can turn them off whenever i want now, by jerking the steering wheel right a little bit, and left turns them right back on. It's been snowing alot lately, so i haven't been able to get around to fixing the connection. I'm nearly certain that is the problem though, so soon as it warms up i'll fix em.

-Zepp