Smoke from somewhere...

Soccerstudd5

Driving to school today I started to smell something burning but temp gauge was fine so I assumed it might be another car around me and kept going. A couple miles down the road, some started coming up through the boot around the shifter (5 speed, 94, 3.0). I stopped and checked oil and coolant, both fine, and looked around for something smoking but couldn't find anything. I was running late so I had to get to class, but now I'm wondering if it could be the transmission. I just put a rebuilt one in 1.5 years ago.

What else could it be or should I check? I'm going to check the tranny fluid when I get done with classes and go from there.

TIA

sounds like low tranny oil... look for leaks arround the tranny, If they did a bad job sealing it to the t-case(MT) it can leak out the side. If your t-case seals are bad(MT) it can fill your t-case untill the t-case pumps it out the driveshaft.

How about road debris caught up in the exhaust?

Edited by MY1PATH

How about road debris caught up in the exhaust?

Would be my guess, either oil leaked on the pipes, or something caught on the crossover pipe being burning off.

Could also be the typical driver's floor panel rust issue, causing the padding to burn from the hot exhaust below.

Hadn't even thought about road debris. Don't know what would've gotten up there, but I suppose it's possible. I don't think I have rust under the drivers floor panel, but I'll check that as well, along with the tranny fluid later today and post an update of what I find.

Come to think of it, it also seemed a bit hesitant after than while driving, like something was cutting out very briefly.... shrug.gif

Well, crawled under there to take a look, and it looks like I'm going to need to get some new seals. I have oil leaking and it was burning on the crossover pipe. Thanks for the help GG and MY1. beer.gif

crosover pipe

so did it come from your rear main or your tranny input (hope neither)

or is it blow by from a bad oil filter seal or oil Preassure swich or valve cover gasket or .... you know where its buring but are you sure where its coming from?

you know where its buring but are you sure where its coming from?

Not 100 percent sure yet, think it's the main seal. I've been having a slow oil leak for a little while. Right now it's about 25 degrees with a couple inches of ice covered with 3-4 inches of snow. Going to replace some seals next time I'm home from school.

Not 100 percent sure yet, think it's the main seal. I've been having a slow oil leak for a little while. Right now it's about 25 degrees with a couple inches of ice covered with 3-4 inches of snow. Going to replace some seals next time I'm home from school.

i had this problem on my 87 jeep grand wagoneer. the oil was dripping on the cross over pipe and what i did for now is get a thin peice of metal sheet and bolt it to the transmission plate and bend it over the cross pipe but angle it down to where it wont drip over the cross pipe and that will save you a fire hazard and the burning smell.

my rear main is leaking on my crossover tube... has been for sometime as there is a crust built up on it, doesn't smoke that I can see, but I do smell burnt oil once in a while.