Weird noise when braking

jwmyers23

ok this is driving me crazy. When ever i'm going down the road and lightly get on the brakes I get this noise coming from what sounds like the passenger front. It sounds like the pad warning strip hitting the rotor but I have taken the tire off checked the pads they are fine. I have torn down the whole axle looking for something rubbing but have not seen anything. Now its starting to do it when I let off the gas. Any ideas?

Bleed the brakes and clean/lube the caliper slide pins. Put the anti vibration jel on the contact points of the brake shoes. Does it still do it?

Are the pads and/or rotor glazed? If so, scuff them up with an abrasive...

B

In my experience bad wheel bearings usually sound more like you're running on snow or mud tires, kind of a constant whirring sound.

Its a reach, but have you looked at your compression/strut rods? Those are the short shafts that run from the bottom of the lower control arm to the frame. They have bushings and a sleeve that wear out. Like I said its a long shot, but if they're worn they could be rubbing on the frame during braking.

I'm hoping its nice out tomorrow so I can look.I know it's not The dust sheild or a warped rotor. I just put on a new rotor that was my first guess so I put a new one on. Thanks for the help

Edited by jwmyers23

I feel your pain. I went through this for most of last summer and still haven't found it. I spent $400 at the shop and countless hours of my own time, nevermind the parts i threw in it. Let me know if you do find something!! Here's one of my posts on the issue: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=23988

I have tried everything possible, except:

-replacing rear shoes and drums

-replacing front calipers

-replacing front brake lines

I just replaced the rotors in july. I thought it might be a warped rotor. It's getting worse and i'm starting to get looks from johnny law when I sqeal up to a stop sign. Not to mention the exhaust leaking. I need to do some major work to path before I end up donateing money to the township. Just need some nice weather. :headwall:

Edited by jwmyers23

• 3 months later...

Found where rubbing noise was comming from !! The collar on the end of the drive shaft was rubbing the bell on the end of the trans. All it took to fix was putting the rear axle on jack stands. Putting path in nutral and turned drive shaft by hand till I heard it rubbing. All it took was a little tap from a hammer. NO MORE NOISE !!!! :fireworx: