91 Nissan Pathfinder Stalls when turning left

sportsman2171

Recently bought a 91 Pathfinder from a friend. He said it would sometimes stall out. We replaced the fuel filter and he said it worked normally for about 2 weeks then went back to stalling intermittently. He said he put fuel injector cleaner into it and it didnt stall for about 2 months but then pnce again atarted stalling. I took the truck off his hands and am now trying to fix it! I have npticed that this only happens when I am slowing down and making a sharp left turn. has happened about 5 times in the week ive had it. Sometimes it will start right back up other times i have to let it sit for about 15-30 minutes. Anybody know what this could be? Any suggestions would be great! Also sort of surges when accelerating after a stop like a possible fuel issue im just not that knowledgeable of fuel related problems. Thank you.

Uh,is you tank full of gas,most cars will stutter in hard coners and from stops if you punch it.

Its sound like a fuel issue but old timers say that 90 percent of fuel issues are really electrcal issues....

You may have a peice of sh!t in the gas tank and its plugging up the fuel pump pick up,which to me is what it sounds like.THe only way to fix it is to get a new or used gas tank in better shape.Tanks get rusty on the in side from moister building up after time if the truck has sat with out use for a long time.There no getting around it other then making sure the truck has a full tank with sta-bil in it when its stored for over a month.

G'day!

I had the same problem on my 94 a while ago. It got quite annoying when doing U turns.

Anyways, my solution was to bite the bullet, & pay the $600 AUD for a Genuine Nissan service. This problem was fixed when they flushed my steering system (the whole lot) & filled it again. This was one of quite a few things that have dramatically improved since the genuine service. Awesome.

--DuckMan.

A friend of mine has the same problem! Only in his truck it's when ever he is breaking. He had a mechanic look it up and down but still hasn't found anything! You would think you would find major belt wear if the power steering pump was to blame? Good luck and let us all know when you find the problem!

I'd check the fuel pump. It's located in the rear cargo area toward the center-right side. There's an access door which may be rusted up, but the fuel pump is directly under it. Pull the access door off and put a screwdriver tip on the top of the pump and press the handle into your ear (sounds stupid, but it works like a redneck stethescope) and listen for anything other than a smooth, constant whirring at idle. If its chugging or spitting, it's roached.

Thanks for the feedback! I have filled up a couple of times and just last fill up put injector cleaner into it so I wouldnt think it was the gas...And if it was the pick up then why is it only when making u turns or sharp left turns?

So a steering syatem flush worked for you? Why would that cause me engine to stall and not start back up some of the times?

And i thought about the fuel pump issue to and thank you for the advice on that... I'll try that tomorrow afternoon and see how that works out.

Not trying to say anyone is wrong here just making sure im finding the right culprit in this situation its juat very confusing and odd to me! Ha

if it is a steering pump issue then it would happen when sitting still and turning the steering wheel to the left... that is when the most load would be put on the pump. At speed the pump wouldnt have as much load.. i agree w the fuel pump issue.

Haha! Yesterday while I was shadowing a mechanic a vehicle came in with the same problem as you described. It turned out to be a pen cap that was floating around and when the gas rushed over to the right side of the tank (turning left) it would be sucked into the pickup on the pump and then fall back out. They removed the cap and re installed the pump and it ran beautifully.

Wow whats the luck! Thanks so much for the response. I'll check into that as well whilst im checking the fuel pump. I used to have all data at my old auto tech school but no longer go there... Does anyone know the procedure for doing this? Thanks.

i'd check the steering Box

something is binding causing teh pump to work harder and stalling the engine. (i bet at idle or close to).

if it was the pump it would happen in both left and right directions.

It does sound either fuel or steering related, I can't think of what else it could be, really. Grasping at straws here: when turning if there was a bad engine mount that allowed the engine to rock to one side which pulled a wire/ground, pinched a hose, or something, that could do it.. I think it unlikley, but might be a quick easy check.

Since you said you are experienced with fuel systems...If you get into the tank, please be careful. If you use a punch or something to remove a locking ring for for the sender unit use a brass punch. Sparks plus fuel vapour equal very loud noise, injury etc.

Good luck, please post back with the fix.

I find it hard to believe that the power steering box (or steering linkage) is binding enough to stall the motor without making obvious noise or the belt slipping or something. I'm not sure what the answer is though.

I have personally experienced crap in the gas tank blocking the pick up and it was maddening. It took me months to figure that out...

Does it die instantly without warning or do the rpms get lower and it stutters or something before it dies? If you say instantly without warning, I think it is something electrical. A connection breaking or something grounding.

This is definitely odd though...

B

It pretty much dies instantly... If it were electrical why would it have to sit for a little before starting back up? I am very confused with this and im starting to get aggravated. I will still have to check that fuel pump thing out today when I get home i will let you all know thanks

The connection needs to cool off to reestablish contact?? Get wiggled/shifted??

I'm seriously guessing at this point. :shrug:

When I had the random gas tank blockage it would need to sit for a little bit before it would restart, presumably for the suction to release and the piece to drop off. Shaking the vehicle seemed to make it restart faster, I found that out after I kicked the crap out of it one day out of frustration.

B

It was on a 74 super beetle, and yes, it drove me nutz for months as it was almost a random occurrance. Yes diagnosing this is a PITA. I believe I got lucky peering down into the gas tank and seeing something float by (it was a straight pipe, no flap) when I was checking fuel level VS the fuel gauge. I had to pull and flush the gas tank to get the piece out, it was a waxed cardboard cap gasket for some sort of fuel additive, you know, 1/2 " diameter thing.

When it died, it would stutter for a bit first before dying, I would expect the same from your pathy. It is hard to shut off all gas intake and it should still run on the residual pressure for a few moments, I would think.

The reason I think electrical is the whole slowing down and/or turning left aspect is not really random. It sounds more like a wire or connector swinging some way from the vector force. I really don't know what though. Try having the truck running and moving all the wiring and connectors, junctions, etc that you can see and safely reach to see if anyone of them makes it stumble or die.

Definitely check the sender unit but I'd do the above test before pulling the sender and fuel pump to look in the tank. :shrug:

B

Just another thought, I didn't see it mentioned...

Did you check the ECU for stored trouble codes?? It's free and easy, usually the first place you want to start. The write up on the procedure is in the Garage/How To section.

We replaced the fuel filter and he said it worked normally for about 2 weeks then went back to stalling intermittently

Also I had a plymouth that would die, but only up hill. It was the fuel filter and I always attributed it to the volume that I was drawing through it, but perhaps the inclination had something to do with it. If you don't find anything readily, perhaps another fuel filter is in order to see if it would well again, if only a short period of time.

B

Wow you know your stuff huh? Didnt really think of the ecu yet have only worked with the obdII system and didnt know how really the obdI worked I will go up to auto zone and do that tonight and when I tried to access the fuel pump to check for chugging or spitting. But when I went to pull up the rear cargo area the carpet felt like it was adhesived down so I stopped... Is this the correct way to access it? I will try and get the trouble codes and post tonigh thank you all for all the help!

What B says about the fuel system makes sense to me. If something blocked off the fuel at the tank, let's say you 100% pinched the line coming out of the tank, I personally think it would take at least 30 seconds to die and would likely sputter at least a little bit...

well, start with the most inexpensive fix. pull the fuel pump out when your low on gas and look around in there, use a flashlight if you have to. if your gutsy and have a small hand i guess you could allways feel around in there too if you dont see anything.

After that i would just do a steering flush, honistly i would recommend this either way because steering fluid is almost never changed out of any vehicles.

ha, okay, in the trunk of the pathy you'll need to lift the carpet completly off. you'll see a plate under the carpet held in by 3-4 bolts, remove those and walla the pathfinder fuel pump should be right there.

Due note that to take the carpet off...you practically need to take apart most of the rear end interrior.

AH! Thank you lol was having trouble tring to pull the carpet up from the back hatch side i guess I was starting from the wrong side? Thank you I will try that tomorrow and I tried going up to auto zone and getting my codes checked but they said they didnt have the right systems for the obd1 systems. Any other suggestions on where to get that done?