emissions crap

87pathy

Might sound like a dumb question but.

You know the "box" that always rusts out.

part of the air injection system. right behind the drivers side headlight.

what hte hell is the "real" name for it.

i'm trying to find one, or 2.. both of my pathy's won't pass emissions cause they are rusted out, and need to find one.. but i don't know what the REAL name for it is.

thanks

Yep, AIV Box, might check the AIV Case in front of it too, I have replaced the Box twice with wrecking yard units and the Case once.

Bucky's voided my warranty on my Muffler (a baffle came loose) because my original Box had a couple pin holes in the bottom of it. But told me that if I had them replace the AIV Box then they would also replace my muffler as a courtisy. They quoted me a $600 repair bill with a item.

I called the dealer after that and iirc it was a $400+ item. I luckily located a "decent" one in a wrecking yard. That one also rusted out and has been replaced by another wrecking yard unit.

Those are the only two I have found that have been decent, most of them are rusted through.

I can keep my eyes open for you if you like. beer.gif

Yep, AIV Box, might check the AIV Case in front of it too, I have replaced the Box twice with wrecking yard units and the Case once.

Bucky's voided my warranty on my Muffler (a baffle came loose) because my original Box had a couple pin holes in the bottom of it. But told me that if I had them replace the AIV Box then they would also replace my muffler as a courtisy. They quoted me a $600 repair bill with a item.

I called the dealer after that and iirc it was a $400+ item. I luckily located a "decent" one in a wrecking yard. That one also rusted out and has been replaced by another wrecking yard unit.

Those are the only two I have found that have been decent, most of them are rusted through.

I can keep my eyes open for you if you like. beer.gif

yes, please.. I need 2.

I'm not going to spend a fortune, as my rigs are 87, and 89.. i only have to do emissions on each of them 1 more time. both of them are running on waivers right now.

the 89 is good till aug 2011 and the 87 till feb 2011

that means 1 more waiver on the 87 and 2 more on the 89.

at 150 bucks each for the waiver it might be easier. I'd like to get the 89 all done up right.. its the missus pathy.

Did Nissan use the same system on other models (Maxima, etc)? Might have more luck finding one if they did.

thats a good quesetion. next time i get to the pick and pull, i'll have a look at the 3L maximas.

or the zx's

I have looked through other rigs but not found an exact match. Now that does not say that another one won't work, just that none are visually the same.

No luck at Pick-A-Part, they had one TBI Pathy, an 89, but it was completely rusted out.