Dent Removal

beastpath

Anyone know of a good way to remove dents on the outside door paneling? I tried the liquid oxygen/heat method, but it didn't work.

I'd rather not drill small holes into my car.

Do the suction cup things work at all?

Suction cups work sometimes, how large of diameter, it is creased already? If it isn't creased then the suction cup should work and leave you uncreased afterward. If there is a crease, get a body hammer and dolly and go at it.

• 4 weeks later...

Another good trick for pushing a dent out from inside a door or quarter panel is to use a football or basketball. Deflate the ball and stuff it into the void with an inflation needle in place and hooked up to a hand-pump. If it's a door, put a piece of plywood or several lengths of 2x4 against the inner wall to spread out the load. Pump the ball up until the dent pops out but be careful that you don't make the whole door look like this ( )! If it's a smaller diameter dent duct tape a wood block against the inside of the dent prior to inserting the ball. If there's a crease inflate the ball until the dent mostly comes out and then tap along the crease with a round-faced body hammer to flatten it out. The ball makes a great dolly.

You can push out "impossible" dents in things like C pillars by folding a deflated football in half (or rolling it up) and then cramming it in there from the bottom and slowly inflating it. I just wish they made a football with the inflating port in the end!

No matter what you do, DO NOT inflate the ball with an air compressor! No matter how careful you think you're being you'll turn the "innie" into a major "outey" in about 1/3 of a second!

I just wish they made a football with the inflating port in the end!

Look in the plumbing section for one of the pressure test bladders. They are made to be put in a pipe and inflated to seal off the end of the pipe. They come in a few sizes and have the valve on the end of a tube sticking out the end. :aok:

• 3 weeks later...

spent several hours using the "Ding King" to remove the dent from my rear door. Worked for the most part but there is still a small indentation.

I ran out of time to do it so hopefully with a few more pops it will look almost perfect.

The annoying thing was that I had to go back and exchange the "Ding King" about 1/2 way through as the damn thing split in the middle.