Strut/shock Life Expectancy

JUDGE

a sales man told me If you've had new tires you might wanna consider new shocks. I think he was implying that the life of a shock is compareable to the life of a 50k tire?

personally, I just do the bounce test;

push down sharply on one corner

if it feels like an unchecked spring they are worn out

if it "bounces" noticably or cycles 3 or more times they may be worn

if it returns to ride height with very little extra motion they are fine

^

Seconded.

I would add, replace all at the same time as well to get more out of them. I hate it when people have all 4 with many many miles on them, or worse yet all 4 worn out and they replace only the front or rear, it just makes the new ones work harder and wear out faster.

Edited by Alkorahil

• 2 weeks later...

All good advice.

But as a rule of thumb how long should, let's say, aftermarket shocks on a stock set up last?

100,000 km? 200,000 km? Do years of use matter? In other words, does simply sitting parked also age the shocks?

It depends on the brand. Some people report Monroe or Rancho shocks going out within 10k miles, while other shocks such as KYB, Fox, or OME can go for 100k+ miles.

Edited by Kingman

I'd say it is more the unit design and driving conditions that have the most impact on shock life. They are not created equally and what lasts in California on a commuter may not last on a wheeler on New York, too many variables...

In other words, does simply sitting parked also age the shocks?

Yes, I have seen shocks leak from sitting too long (years) so I assume some seals deteriorated...

B

• 2 weeks later...

One of my brand new KYB GR-2's broke (!) after just a few weeks - the part attached to the top mount just snapped. The mechanic ended up having to weld it back together - not a good look . . . That being said, my car only knows rough dirt roads and rarely sees pavement - but I never thought it was possible. Anyway, they've held now for a few months. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm new to the R50s but I could have sworn I read something about the KYB upper mount (bearing portion) was bad news and should not be used? Perhaps that contributed to the break? Damn, now I have to go try to find what I read...

B