33X12.5 Tires On 15X8 Wheels

tekazgtr1984

Exploring options for bigger tires, 99.9% sure I'll be going with Toyo Open Country M/T.

I'm looking at wheels and came across a sweet set of 15x8 w/3.75BS alloys.

Would it be alright to run 33x12.5 tires on 15x8 wheels? :scratchhead:

Edited by tekazgtr1984

Exploring options for bigger tires, 99.9% sure I'll be going with Toyo Open Country M/T.

I'm looking at wheels and came across a sweet set of 15x8 w/3.75BS alloys.

Would it be alright to run 33x12.5 tires on 15x8 wheels? :scratchhead:

installing them will probably be feasable, but I really doubt you'll be able to fully flex with them... I suspect the rear will be your problem... If you're not afraid of cutting your rear fender, then I guess it would be ok... again I assume you have removed any kind of mud flaps..

"Would it be alright to run 33x12.5 tires on 15x8 wheels?"

Yes, its just fine! (im speaking about the combo itself, not including any possible snag spots on your truck) infact, Belle Tire installed a set of brand new $1200 tires on brand new cragar 15x8, and didn't say anything about it except "man, that truck looks GOOD" :)

Thanks for the info, guys! :beer:

This won't be on 2" lift coils; this is my planned tire/wheel set-up post-SFD (not sure when that'll happen, though), that is to say 4" SFD with 1.5" OME HD coils in the front a top-secret rear-end (which is in the works). :sssh:

For the moment, 32" Toyo A/Ts do just fine. :aok:

I just wanted to be sure because I was told mounting a 33x12.5 tire on a 8" wide wheel wasn't a good idea... WTF? :scratchhead:

manufacturers recommend 8.5-11, and with an 8" wheel, it will hold the tire onto the wheel better in low PSI situations....plus, I've seen them on 10" wheels, and it just looks ugly, the tires don't look good, but for instance my BFG A/T's look HOT on a 15x8 wheel, just the right amount of sidewall curve

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I could fit 33's or even 32's on my 2" lifted 2004 Pathy! The 31's I have are as big as I can fit. Not wanting to do any fancy hammer work or that sort of thing to my Pathy. I love my Pathy.... I'm sure you guys with hammers and 33's love yours too.

Nick

You can't fit 32's? I got 31's on my stock Pathy, and most people here who have a lift have 32's on theirs. What tire do you have and what lift are you using? (sorry to stray a little off-topic Ty!)

Jose

You can't fit 32's? I got 31's on my stock Pathy, and most people here who have a lift have 32's on theirs. What tire do you have and what lift are you using? (sorry to stray a little off-topic Ty!)

Jose

No worries! That's why we have NPORA, after all. :aok:

I got 31" Maxxis Bighorns on NJ Pajero wheels. I also have 50mm front and rear lift.

Nick

You should be able to clear ~32" tires on just 50mm (2") lift coils. Keep in mind you will have rubbing up front at full lock while turning. :togo:

Back to the thread, I think a 15x8 wheel should do 33x12.5 tires just fine. The biggest issue in going with a wider wheel is having adequate backspace to clear the struts.

Hey Ty, don't you need 16" rims to clear your calipers?? I thought that was the case with the R50s, I could have sworn someone found out the hard way when they tried to bolt the new rims on...

Let me know if I have this mixed up, please.

B

Ok, thanks. I found the thread I was thinking of and it only specifies the newer generation of R50 (1999.5+ I guess).

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=20797&view=&hl=r50+calipers&fromsearch=1

B

Would it be alright to run 33x12.5 tires on 15x8 wheels?

I wouldn't. My BFG AT (31x10.5") on the stock 6" wide chromies were a bit pinched causing premature wear.

Go by the specific tire recommendation, there is a good site I linked in the unofficial tire review thread towards the end.

You'll be fine (in respect to the rim width for that tire) , 8in is the bottom end, but still within the recommend rim widths by Toyo for that tire wink.gif

http://www.toyo.com/...open-country-mt

Tire Size

33x12.50R15LT 108P C/6

Product Code

Approved Rim Width Range (inch)

8.0-10.0-11.0

Overall Diameter (inch)

Overall Width (inch)

Tread Depth (1/32")

Thanks! :beer:

I was pretty sure it would be reasonable to do but I wanted to be sure before spending the money on these only to have to kaibosh the whole idea. :lol:

To that end, though, I know exactly what I'll be running for wheels and tires post-SFD. Now let's just hope the rest works... :rolleyes: