Wash And Bogg

Day95

So this has happened to me twice now... Right after a wash and i start it the next time it seems to bog down when i try to accelerate... boo... it idles fine, no check engine light or anything, if i put it in drive it will idle fine too and coast fine, but if i put the tinest bit of acceleration in to it it boggs down almost to the point of stalling. now i had it running while i was in the car wash and it was fine when i exited. then i went to auto zone to get some new wiperblades and when i went to restart it it did this. i havent noticed this when it rains but then again it hasnt rained here in a long time. is there something i should look out for? the engine compartment is dry and i dont notice anything obvious... its fine after i run it for a bit but a lil piece of mind would be nice ya know... thanks;)

One of two things are happening:

1) condensation/water in the distributor cap

2) water in the spark plug galleries

for the distributor cap, get some white lithium grease. Remove the distributor cap and lightly grease the outside lip of the distributor cap. Dont get any on the inside of the cap. Preferrably do this when there is low humidity.

for the spark plug wire galleries, get some spark plug grease. It comes in a small package. remove the spark plug wires one at a time and lightly coat the top of the spark plugs and reattach the spark plug wires.

Doing both of these a can of wire drier might not hurt either to get rid of any condensation/water.

spray the distributor cap, spark plug galleries with it and let dry for about 10 mins. Do this when the engine is cold.

If you are missing your side or lower engine splash shields you should replace them if they are missing to also help avoid this in future if this is a stock daily driver.

Also make sure the boots on both ends of each of the spark plug wires and distributor to ingition coil wire are snug and secure.

A wet dizzy cap is usally pin pointed by putting the truck in neutral and giving it gas(at least this is how I've always pin pointed it),It will sputter and try to die,Dont let it die,just goose the pedal until the water is disapaited and it will run fine.A way to keep the water away from the cap and is when installing it to put a line of RTV silicon at its base.It keeps the water out and comes of really easy when your changing them(or points) and rotor...