Timing Belts

ditchdiggerjcf

I dono why, but I think that statment is firigin hilarious. I mean it would suck and its true but... its kinda funny too.

well, it looks like I broke mine yesterday when I tried to start the engine. I mean literally right as I turned the key :doh: Are there any performance mods that can be done while the heads are off? Whay about aftermarket cams?

Damn!! If you didn't crank it much, there is a chance not much damage occurred. Maybe the belt jumped a few teeth?

Unless you are positive things are mangled you might want to replace the belt then try to fire it up/do a compression check first, it's not much wasted work if you have to pull the heads and you might get lucky... :shrug:

Good luck!!

B

Yes, cams are available but can be a problem if the vehicle needs smog testing so stay with a very mild one if that is the case.

Damn!! If you didn't crank it much, there is a chance not much damage occurred. Maybe the belt jumped a few teeth?

Unless you are positive things are mangled you might want to replace the belt then try to fire it up/do a compression check first, it's not much wasted work if you have to pull the heads and you might get lucky... :shrug:

Good luck!!

B

Yes, cams are available but can be a problem if the vehicle needs smog testing so stay with a very mild one if that is the case.

no smog tests in Arkansas. :clap: What about the cams from a 300zx? Are they a little hotter than the pathfinder cams?

Jim Wolf has cams, another source I can't think of right now, and I believe a couple of people have taken the stock cams in to be reground at custom shops...

I don't know about the 300zx cams...

B

Jim Wolf has cams, another source I can't think of right now, and I believe a couple of people have taken the stock cams in to be reground at custom shops...

I don't know about the 300zx cams...

B

I wonder how I could find out about the 300zx cams. I can get them for almost nothing.

they had a few of those engines made for the sports car throughout various years

VG30E

VG30ET

VG30DE

VG30DETT

etc...

D means dual cams and T means turbo

the most power ive seen out of a VG30E was about 160hp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VG_engine#VG30E

note the lower torque and higher hp and vice versa which probably means different timing settings

Edited by Tungsten

There are various ways to change the output on an engine, different pistons, different stroke (longer/shorter rods), cams, timing, etc.

That said, I don't know what differences they made, but the early 300zx has the exact same block and head asour truck's engines. I do know that some VG30s had a different crank, but I think the only difference was how far it stuck out the front of the engine block. I have a whole book for hopping up L series Nissan engines, wish I had the same for the VG series.

There are various ways to change the output on an engine, different pistons, different stroke (longer/shorter rods), cams, timing, etc.

That said, I don't know what differences they made, but the early 300zx has the exact same block and head asour truck's engines. I do know that some VG30s had a different crank, but I think the only difference was how far it stuck out the front of the engine block. I have a whole book for hopping up L series Nissan engines, wish I had the same for the VG series.

What about some port work then? Any help there? Gotta be something to do while I have the heads off.

What about some port work then? Any help there? Gotta be something to do while I have the heads off.

You can, but don't smooth them, the rough surface helps cause turbulence the air/fuel need to mix (at least this is what I read once from someone who had fully polished theirs). But opening up the intake and exhaust where they meet the manifolds isn't a bad idea.