Timing Belts

ditchdiggerjcf

You can, but don't smooth them, the rough surface helps cause turbulence the air/fuel need to mix (at least this is what I read once from someone who had fully polished theirs). But opening up the intake and exhaust where they meet the manifolds isn't a bad idea.

so, gasket matching the ports is about all I can do? I guess I'll add headers while I am this far into it. What brand is best. I have heard some brands won't work with my manual tranny.

so, gasket matching the ports is about all I can do? I guess I'll add headers while I am this far into it. What brand is best. I have heard some brands won't work with my manual tranny.

try to find some 3.3 heads, the internals are the same but the casting itself is differant & after port matching the the heads you will have some heads with a more effiecient combustion chamber too. also having 10mm exhuast studs is a plus (instead of 8mm). the 3.3 head runs a smaller cam but any sohc vg30 cam will fit in its place.

Here's a list of available cams http://nissan4wheele...741#67210225741

for offroad aplication I suggest the Schnider 256/256 .420"/.420" cam. for higway use the JWT S1 260/260 .440"cam. Either one will really wake up the engine esp with a matched 3.3 head.

Don't forget:

new lifters for new cams

elongate the water passage holes in the head gasket to match the 3.3 heads to a 3.0 block

ream Manifold/ header holes to about 12-14mm (1/2")to aleiviate fitment & heat stress issues

Edited by MY1PATH

try to find some 3.3 heads, the internals are the same but the casting itself is differant & after port matching the the heads you will have some heads with a more effiecient combustion chamber too. also having 10mm exhuast studs is a plus (instead of 8mm). the 3.3 head runs a smaller cam but any sohc vg30 cam will fit in its place.

Here's a list of available cams http://nissan4wheele...741#67210225741

for offroad aplication I suggest the Schnider 256/256 .420"/.420" cam. for higway use the JWT S1 260/260 .440"cam. Either one will really wake up the engine esp with a matched 3.3 head.

Don't forget:

new lifters for new cams

elongate the water passage holes in the head gasket to match the 3.3 heads to a 3.0 block

ream Manifold/ header holes to about 12-14mm (1/2")to aleiviate fitment & heat stress issues

3.3 heads may not be easy to come by. The 300z car heads I could get for almost nothing. Can I upgrade to 10mm studs on my heads while they are out?

not worth it, slip up and your head is done

its easier to get the turbo 300zx studs and use those

you could install headers though, they make your engine bay look nice :)

I went back bone stock. I'm going to save the money and find a low mileage 3.3 to swap out later when the 3.0 gets tired.