Timing Belt Change(outside before the weather turns COLD!)

blackspawn

I'm about to do my timing belt change this Friday if the weather permits but before I start wrenching I just want to make sure that this newbie has everything I need to do this job by myself!! My list includes a nissan timing belt, a nissan tensioner and spring, a nappa water pump, (2) nappa cam seals and a advance auto crank seal. I also have all of the replacement nissan belts ie..a/c,power steering and alternator. My tools are 27mm socket for the crank pulley,hex socket for the tensioner, enough sockets for all the other covers and stuff a have to take off. I'll go today and get a thermostat also. The small hose behind the cover I do not have but I'm guessing that I can get a hose in the same diameter at the auto store I hope. I also bought a Harbor Freight electric impact wrench. I have a breaker bar also. Did I forget anything? Please let me know(ALL TIPS or CONCERNS are welcome!!)

In my opinion, do NOT touch the CAM or crank seals if they aren't leaking. I've never touched them on either of my trucks, and never had a problem. I've heard of lots of folks disturbing them, installing new ones, and having them leak.

Just my opinion.

Otherwise, you list looks good.

Get hose clamps to replace all of the stock wire type clamps as well. You will also need a scraper to scrape the waterpump gasket of and some blue (i think thats what I used) gasket sealer to put on the waterpump so the gasket seals even better.

Get hose clamps to replace all of the stock wire type clamps as well. You will also need a scraper to scrape the waterpump gasket of and some blue (i think thats what I used) gasket sealer to put on the waterpump so the gasket seals even better.

got it thanks.

In my opinion, do NOT touch the CAM or crank seals if they aren't leaking. I've never touched them on either of my trucks, and never had a problem. I've heard of lots of folks disturbing them, installing new ones, and having them leak.

Just my opinion.

X2

Mine weren't leaking so I saved the money. On our r50 though, both cam and the crank seals were leaking. What are the odds.

Just my opinion.

Have them and decide if you want/need to install them when you get there. My passenger side cam seal was leaking slightly so I replaced both and the crank seal just because. They are not hard to install if you know what you are doing. No leaks so far... :shrug:

Like I said, at least have them, you can always return them.

B

x3 on the seals..

the crooked hose behind the h2o pump is called by-pass hose. find it first because it may not be available..

find dr.bill's thread about the t belt. it's v. comprehensive.

Autozone had a bypass hose that was for the pathfinder but it was about a foot long, I don't think that was the right one or was it? Was I suppose to trim it down?

Almost any hose with a 90 degree bend in it can be made to work. I used a hose for whatever vehicle that was the right size diameter from NAPA (I forget what size it is) that had a perfect bend in it, cut it to size, and installed. 4 bucks.

Haven't done this repair on my Pathfinder yet, but have on other vehicles.

I notice a few items missing: Band-aids, duct-tape (if you need bigger band-aids), and (if you happen to be religious) an icon of whatever Saint is in charge of busted knuckles...St. Knuckle-less?

Otherwise, you seem good to go.

Ok I'm glad that I chosed to do the t/b now because it was very loose to me. I could almost pull it off the tensioner while it was on. I was told take you can trust the look of the belt to determine the condition of the belt so I was glad I chose this weekend to do it. The tensioner and spring was very rusty to me.

CIMG0069.jpg

can't really tell in this picture...

CIMG0074.jpg

rusty everywhere!

Ok i didn't do the crank seal, because it didn't seem bad. I got the water pump and thermostat in and the t/belt is on and everything lines up; but I tried to do the bypass hose without taking off the cam gear and backshield. Needless to say i said f@&% it in (5) different languages!!! Here we go should I take off the cam gear and back shield and replace that little motherf@&%*r!!! Or is there a trick to it?

As I understand it, it needs to be taken off to do a good job. Perhaps some have managed a work around, but I do not recall them and I changed the cam seals (removed the back cover) so it was a non issue.

At the end of the day, I know you want (maybe need) to get it running soon, but how soon do you want to do this again?? Not in 3 months, I'm sure. Take the time and pull the cams and shield. Clean things up well and even use a little sealant... ;)

B

As I understand it, it needs to be taken off to do a good job. Perhaps some have managed a work around, but I do not recall them and I changed the cam seals (removed the back cover) so it was a non issue.

At the end of the day, I know you want (maybe need) to get it running soon, but how soon do you want to do this again?? Not in 3 months, I'm sure. Take the time and pull the cams and shield. Clean things up well and even use a little sealant... ;)

B

I knew that I would have to take those cams spockets off well; ROUND (2)!!!

I'm FINISH!!! I want to thank everybody who has given me the courage and their knowledge to do my first TIMING BELT change! After I finished I let it idle,refilled the coolant and some of the transmission fluid that leaked out; then I drove it around the neighborhood to see if it would BLOW up or something! After watching it awhile there were no leaks no timing issues or anything(so far ). AGAIN THANKS EVERYBODY!!!!

I had to do it now because of the weather changing and also I didn't know the condition of the belt. I was lucky that I did do it when I did. I don't think it would have lasted through the winter!!!!

Congrats on getting it done relatively painlessly. It's not really that hard, just a fair amount of work and a few specialty tools required. And now you know your truck that much more... :D

B

Oh, you are welcome.

Still running good; but I have a slight noise that sound like the belt tensioner as if it needed greasing. It only does it when its at idle; but when I rev it up it goes away or quiet down. I but driving it for a week with no problem; no loss in power; no low/high rpm problem just that slight noise. Has anyone ran into this problem? :ohmy: