Timing Belt Change(outside before the weather turns COLD!)

blackspawn

That may mean it is too tight?? That is the only sound type issue I have heard of. Describe how you tensioned it.

B

I got it turned where my hex key hole sits around 5'o clock. And I did the 90 degree turn test it seemed correct, I think that you're right about it being too tight; so now what do I do? Nothing and let the belt loosing up on its on or(OH MY GOD!!!) take it back apart and retension it!?

Well, it sounds like you set it correctly but then I'm not the expert at this myself. I suppose you could take it appart again, but as long as it isn't howling like others have described, I think I'd just let it go... :shrug:

B

Do you have a mechanic's stethescope?? Use a metal bar or long screw driver to try to locate the true source of the noise. No point resetting the timing belt if it is the idler puller bearing...

Well, it sounds like you set it correctly but then I'm not the expert at this myself. I suppose you could take it appart again, but as long as it isn't howling like others have described, I think I'd just let it go... :shrug:

B

Do you have a mechanic's stethescope?? Use a metal bar or long screw driver to try to locate the true source of the noise. No point resetting the timing belt if it is the idler puller bearing...

No, but that's not a bad idea.

Today the pathfinder is still running good no timing issues or leaks; but now I have a sound that sounds like a chirping sound or a light squeak. A couple of time it sound like the timing belt tensioner is making noise I'm lost? I know that some say its the a/c tensioner. I don't know... Tommorow I'm going to take all the belts(a/c, power steering and alt.) to see if the sound is still there.. Anybody ever have the timing belt tensioner go bad in a couple of weeks of use???

Still running good; but I have a slight noise that sound like the belt tensioner as if it needed greasing. It only does it when its at idle; but when I rev it up it goes away or quiet down. I but driving it for a week with no problem; no loss in power; no low/high rpm problem just that slight noise. Has anyone ran into this problem? :ohmy:

When I did my timing belt I had the same thing happen. I thought it was the TB tensioner and ripped the motor back apart and installed a new piece. Started it up and the sequel was still there. It ended up being the accessory belts. They were quiet before the job but after re-installing them they made noise. Replaced the belts and the motor was quiet as can be.

When I did my timing belt I had the same thing happen. I thought it was the TB tensioner and ripped the motor back apart and installed a new piece. Started it up and the sequel was still there. It ended up being the accessory belts. They were quiet before the job but after re-installing them they made noise. Replaced the belts and the motor was quiet as can be.

I changed all the belts with brand new ones; next week I'm going to first take all the belts off and start it up and listen for the any weird sounds. If its still there I'm going to check the t/b tensioner...

You may need to pull your rad if you are using an electric impact. Much bigger than air. Make sure you have a long screwdriver to find TDC because on my truck they didn't bother stamping it like they said in my manual!!! It's all pretty straight forward though. I've done it three times never had any problems. Good Luck

I'm going to first take all the belts off and start it up and listen for the any weird sounds. If its still there I'm going to check the t/b tensioner...

Sounds like a good idea. $5 says it isn't the timing belt tensioner... :D

B

Haven't had time to do the taken off the belts because my work schedule and weather(rainy) so I'll try this weekend or Monday. I talked to someone at work I they think it might be the cover rubbing against the tensioner.What do you guys think about that?

I never really checked the clearances for the shields. It seemed like plenty, but it is possible, I suppose.

It's really hard to diagnose when you are not there. It could be many things.:shrug:

If you have Harbor Freight nearby, you can get a mechanic stethescope for about $8, it's a great tool for this kind of thing and well worth the $.

B

I never really checked the clearances for the shields. It seemed like plenty, but it is possible, I suppose.

It's really hard to diagnose when you are not there. It could be many things.:shrug:

If you have Harbor Freight nearby, you can get a mechanic stethescope for about $8, it's a great tool for this kind of thing and well worth the $.

B

good advice,thanks...

I found out what that squeaking noise was around my t/b area! It was the washer piece that goes on after the bottom cover!! I don't know if its suppose to be attached to the cover itself or if it broke loose. The harmonic balancer was spinning it against the bottom cover and making it VERY noisy!!! I took it off because I didn't see any way of attaching it so it wouldn't make that sound. Glad it was warm today; not for long though...