Ford Exploders

nismothunder

Sometimes AC clears up windows better than heat, and doesn't put moisture in the air to re-fog.

Andrew, You probably could, but why? TTB is sh!t, anyone with real gumption and know-how will swap a D44 high pinion driver's drop solid axle under there.

the last time i rode in a 1992 ford explorer, the brakes gave out completely down a huge hill and we barrelled down it at 90 mph, blowing through red lights. Luckily we hit an uphill and rolled to a stop, but we could have been seriously injured or killed.

i hate fords and will never own one.

You seem to be really concerned about fuel mileage... theres a 5-speed Festiva for sale here for 1k and has enough extra parts to proably build 3 more of them. (would have to drive to PA for that as well) Heck I want to take the doors off it and use it as a go-cart. It has 12" wheels 12 INCH WHEELS!!! . If you get a HB, I have 2 tailgates, a roll pan, dorky altezza taillights, a back window, and a bunch of extra gas doors... And 4runners ain't expensive...paid $400 (I think, yes I forget already) for the one I just got, not too rusty and needed head gaskets. Perfect winter beater for the Mrs.!!!

Maybe in your area 4runners aernt exspesice but hear I found a 94 sr5(only one close to my house) with flaking rockers,rotten qurters and 212k on it for 2k.And it was beat.My dad looked at the bonneville and said it was a nice car.The engines dirty(probly better then having a nice clean one) as hell but it started right up with one pump and sounded nice.But theres a clicking when you back up.Which I think is the park stop,which only needs to be adjusted,and I have a new Transgo shift kit for the th350.If I get the bonniville it'll get at best probly 17 mpg going 55.But like I said before my dad had one that had more then 280k on it with out any majer trouble,and the only reason he got ride of it was because it rotted out(92-93) and the brakes locked up.I know where theres a yugo for sale for a hundred bucks so if I really was crazy about milage I could get that.Yeah ttb(eats tires,my 89 150 is ttb) is crap but its still better then IFS if you want to lift it and stronger to sinces its a swing axle design.But now I found a 88 crown vic that looks nice and has a big 351 in it and my dad says they go like hell(long story,my grandfather had a grand merkey with the engine and he told my grand mother not to give it to him because he'd kill himself in it)But my dad is tired of fords and he'd be pissed if I bought one since I already have 2(,89 150,02 150) and my parents have 4 (06 escape,92 tores,00 150,86 c-vic) and he's sick of fixing them.The xploder is out since I'd only give the guy a grand for it since it needs tires($500) and I'm not going to pay the full asking price for a used car that the guy has knows nothing about the history.

I'm sick of jeeps since I have one that(now that I think of it I think the jeep has the same engine thats in the bonniville) needs a clutch and is probly going up for sale to pay off my hospitle bill.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I said piss on the exploder cause the guy turned into a dick after my third vistit to test drive it.A buddys coming over with a mid 90s olds achivea,quad-4,5spd,2door,looks real nice,I'll see if its worth the 1200 hes asking.

Is this a sign of just how bad the US recession is? (BTW, the US economy just grew 3.5% in the last quarter.)

Somebody wants advice on buying a Ford Explorer on a Nissan Pathfinder forum? !?!!

Can't afford a used WD21 pathie in reasonably good shape? Buy a FWD car!

I think of it as a good idea,since your all are not ford junkys,if I went to a exploder site they'd be like*buy it,there great trucks,buy it*.But hear you hear mostly what people really think of them.Like if I was looking for a pathy I wouldnt come out and say what I was looking for,just that I'm looking into one on this site.What I'm saying is that if I went to a site that is dedicated to xploders I would not be getting the best advise,it would be bias...

Edited by nismothunder

After driving the Exploder and the Patfhinder, these are my opinions:

1. Explorer has a smoother ride

2. Explorer has a better seating position

3. Explorer is more comfortable to drive

4. Explorer has a better quality trim

5. Explorer has more low-end torque

6. Explorer has some beefier parts

However nothing beats the Pathfinder's stock ground clearance :)

The suspension in an explorer is too soft and mushy for my liking. I like the stiff ride of the pathfinder and it handles way better because of it.

Though they do have a lot of power. But some of them drink even more!

I think of it as a good idea,since your all are not ford junkys,if I went to a exploder site they'd be like*buy it,there great trucks,buy it*.But hear you hear mostly what people really think of them.Like if I was looking for a pathy I wouldnt come out and say what I was looking for,just that I'm looking into one on this site.What I'm saying is that if I went to a site that is dedicated to xploders I would not be getting the best advise,it would be bias...

But then again, you also see unreasonable bias against other makes because you are on a Pathfinder dedicated forum.

And I completely agree with everything Tungsten said.

I will have to argure on the trim and seating spots...

I didnt like the seating of the plder...just kinda weird feeling in a small truck.Trim...trim...all the ones I've seem have looked like the trim was ready to disinergrate.

But like I said before,the guy pissed me off so I pretty much told him to stick the truck up his arse.

Now I'm looking at a black 95 xe pathy with the auto and 130k...was priced at 2k but know its 1495 so the frames probly rotten.But it looks like new,I mean the paint isnt bubbled and its nice,but I'll look around a little more.

Edited by nismothunder

You just try to mess with the Pathfinders trim...once you take it apart you won't put it back together. Its like the materials were ordered from the left overs of Chrysler. If you are tall, seating in the Pathfinder is a bit narrow and the seats are hard as rocks compared to an Explorer. Ford makes very good chassis components but their mechanics aren't the latest and greatest. However, recent Fords have one of the highest reliability rankings.

The Pathfinder may have hard seats, ride like a brick, and have an awkward seating position, but it corners damn good for an SUV. Also, the engine may have little power but its very reliable. Take your pick!

Maybe the trim is different on yours? I've pulled the cargo, door, dash, and some other little tidbits off mine and never broke anything except a few of those little white clip things that you can buy a box of 50 of for 10 bucks.

Granted it is what 18 years old now on yours? The heat and cooling cycles will cause the plastic to get brittle. Then again I'm the only one out of all my friends who has an interior that doesn't rattle.