Manual transmission drain plug

bdaa86

While I'm waiting for my new CV axles to come, I decided to change my manual transmission oil.

I read the thread on the TSB and while I've not had any problems, I decided to go ahead and change it. I bought 6 quarts of Red Line MT-90. I went out to work on it tonight but I can't get the drain plug out. The fill plug turns fine so I can get it out. But, for the life of me I can't get the drain plug to budge. I've got a good beefy 1/2" socket set my dad gave me, but no luck. I don't have a breaker bar, or pipe I can use to get extra leverage, so I used a big hammer. Nothin'. I've read where folks talk about using heat in situations like this but I'm really nervous to take a propane torch to my drain plug.

Short of taking it to a shop and having them break it loose for me, I'm wondering what others have tried?

Thanks!

I'm gonna guess you have a way of securly being on it with some form of handle. If so, try using your feet as constant pressure using your leg muscles and holding onto the frame to keep yourself from sliding or have patience for another day and get a breaker bar.

I'm gonna guess you have a way of securly being on it with some form of handle. If so, try using your feet as constant pressure using your leg muscles and holding onto the frame to keep yourself from sliding or have patience for another day and get a breaker bar.

I didn't try using me feet, but there's not a ton of room under the truck, and I'm not that young and flexible anymore .... :tired: My problem is trying to hold the socket in the hole so it won't fall out while I try to crank on it. I found some boards to put under it to hold it in place while I pounded it with the hammer which of course didn't work. I've got just the passenger side up on a ramp so as to tilt the tranny so I can get the fill hole a little higher.

For now, I'm going to be patient and try another day, and in the mean time see if my dad's got a piece of pipe I can use. I'd still like hear thoughts on the use of heat. That might do it, I'm just nervous to try it.

I can't get the drain plug to budge. I've got a good beefy 1/2" socket set my dad gave me, but no luck. I don't have a breaker bar, or pipe I can use to get extra leverage, so I used a big hammer.

Insert your 1/2" socket into a plug opening and use a jack to support it (in other words, to firmly press socket into the plug and hold it). Then work with two hands.

or you could get a 1/2 inch breaker bar. You wouldn't have to strain yourself as much...work smarter, not harder right? It is worth it in the long run, especially if you aren't a cheap ass like me and get a big one. There is tons of stuff on a truck as old as ours that will require more strength than a regular ratchet can provide.

PB Blaster and a little MAPP gas is what it took to drain mine; damn plug was rusted bad.

(you won't boil the fluid easily and nothing will melt) while it is still hot spray it with PB or other penetrating oil to cool it quick

seems to loosen the threads well and pull the PB in.

:my2cents:

Ok, well, I'm feeling stupid. I thought I knew what a breaker bar was ... heh, until I did some looking. Turns out I do have one :togo: It's in the set my dad gave me. However, it is a short one. Probably only 12-14" or so. I'm going to find a piece of pipe to extend this guy, or if that fails stop by harbor freight and get a longer one.

I've got PB Blaster, but I don't know why I didn't think of using it. I guess I was thinking it was more for use on rusted stuff, and there is a lot of oily residue around this plug. If its oily, it should come out right? Not! I'll get the PB on it and go grab my propane torch and see what I can do. Probably won't be until the weekend.

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas! I'm armed now. You guys really know your stuff. :aok: Thanks!

Just a quick update. I couldn't locate a suitable piece of pipe, so I broke down and got a 25" breaker bar from Harbor Freight($13). I figured if I was going to get one, I might as well get a big one and I'm glad I did. I was easily able to get the plug out without any heat and only a bit of PB Blaster ... and I'm not sure even that was needed.

I got the old manual tranny oil drained and went to work pumping in the Redline MT90. I bought 6 quarts to get to the 5.1 level the TSB recommends. I got about 3.5 - 4.0 in and it started coming out the fill hole. Dang! I was doing this using the 'tilt method' with only the passenger side wheel up on a ramp (7" ?). So, I grabbed all the blocks I had and my bottle jack and cranked it up another few inches. Try as I might, I couldn't get the full 5.1 in, and am probably at about 4.8 - 4.9. Its more than was there before, but do you all think that missing .2 is going to make a big difference? If it is, I'll have to find some more blocks and have another go.

It won't make a big difference, but the easiest way to do it is to remove the shifter, and pour in from the top. That's how I always did my old 95 with MT.

It won't make a big difference, but the easiest way to do it is to remove the shifter, and pour in from the top. That's how I always did my old 95 with MT.

Thanks Simon.

I knew about that method from reading the MT posts, but to my old brain that sounded like a lot more work, pulling up carpet and all that. Every time I've pulled up carpet, I could never get it back in the same way it was before :headwall: ... So, I'll just drive it for a while and see how it goes. It did seem to shift easier and was slightly quieter this AM going to work so that made me feel better. Besides, I'm a pretty gentle driver, so its not like I'm pushing it ... :whistle:

I believe the original amount was 3.8L so if you put in 4.8 instead of 5.1, I think you are probably OK. Certainly better than before by far... ;)

Yeah, removing the shifter can be a pain. I had to cut the carpet slightly and was unable to remove the aftermarket shifter knob the PO had installed, but then I was pulling the tranny to cchange the clutch so I had no choice. A few years from now, just be sure to jack it up higher and put in 5.4 liters just to make the average right... :D

B

I believe the original amount was 3.8L so if you put in 4.8 instead of 5.1, I think you are probably OK. Certainly better than before by far... ;)

Agreed. I'm definitely feeling better about things.

... A few years from now, just be sure to jack it up higher and put in 5.4 liters just to make the average right... :D

B

Ha Ha .. you got it !!!! :aok:

If you cant find a bar as an extension i use a large ring spanner. Gives a ratchet a bit more leverage.

So, You're talking in addition to, or instead of the socket? Not sure I followed that ... :shrug: