Lordco, NAPA Auto Parts, Canadian Tire, etc.

westslope

Where do you source stuff like air and oil filters, plugs, wires, white lithium grease aerosol cans, 5-min engine flushes, etc., etc., in the Lower Mainland, western Canada? How many drive across the border (and where do you go)?

Been a dull, unimaginative Canadian Tire customer the longest time but have increasingly bought more and more stuff from NAPA Auto parts and Lordco Autoparts in recent years.

Any favourites? Any to avoid? Strengths, weaknesses?

Is the FRAM bad rap overdone? Or is it best to avoid FRAM parts? (I ask because both Canadian Tire and Lordco stock Fram filters.)

Edited by westslope

I usually get my normal stuff from NAPA. They are pretty much the only one close to where I live.

My latest struggle has been the alternator belt from them. I think it's slightly larger than the pathfinder needs and makes a ton of noise. I've got a replacement coming from Nissan, so I hope that one fits better.

I generally shop at Lordco because I've got a 30% discount and know a one of the service reps, but theres a NAPA about 2 minutes from my house and I've been exceptionally impressed with the service there, not to mention they recommend and offer much better products generally.

Usually at Lordco since I know the assistant manager and he is good at giving me wicked deals. If not I just go around and use my work account to see what percent we get off and the lowest price wins.

I find the prices are all over the map. For example: NGK plugs were cheaper at Lordco than at NAPA or Cdn Tire.

Lordco and Cdn Tire carry FRAM filters and until further notice I try to avoid FRAM filters though I suspect that they are just fine. FRAM filters never caused me any problems in the past when I didn't know any better. :D

Zibi, I too have been generally impressed with the selection and the quality of service at NAPA.

Discount store Princess Auto (Langely, BC) can be interesting for tools and generic hardware items. (The store doesn't carry maintenance items.)

• 4 weeks later...

I only go to Napa for the very basic things. The guys at my store all hate it when I don't have a specific application for them. It must annoy them.

Other guys in the Edmonton region, Dash auto distributors is pretty good and have access to more stock. Less automotive specific I go to Greggs Distributors which have just about everything a guy could want. Princess Auto for the cheap stuff or a seldomly used (or hard to find) tool.

And Canadian Tire also for the very basic things, which by the way, is basically Parts Source.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

B & J Parts & Machine in Port Coquitlam, BC :aok:

The owner was my football coach many years ago, never bought from there though, how are prices comparable to NAPA/Lordco?

• 1 month later...

The owner was my football coach many years ago, never bought from there though, how are prices comparable to NAPA/Lordco?

Well, they are cheaper for a lot of things.

The owners are great people. Nice and friendly.

But I can no longer say any more to that as i work for lordco now.

Edited by heythurr

• 2 months later...

Where do you source stuff like air and oil filters, plugs, wires, white lithium grease aerosol cans, 5-min engine flushes, etc., etc., in the Lower Mainland, western Canada? How many drive across the border (and where do you go)?

Been a dull, unimaginative Canadian Tire customer the longest time but have increasingly bought more and more stuff from NAPA Auto parts and Lordco Autoparts in recent years.

Any favourites? Any to avoid? Strengths, weaknesses?

Is the FRAM bad rap overdone? Or is it best to avoid FRAM parts? (I ask because both Canadian Tire and Lordco stock Fram filters.)

Hi Why dont you try to buy online on autoparts maybe you will find one. I'm a drag racer and also a businessman so I don't have much time looking for shops that are available for my carparts.

Been ordering a lot of stuff from RockAuto recently. They'll ship to Canada, but I've never done that. Always shipped to Pt Roberts and gone and picked it up. It's nice to get stuff locally, but you can cut your costs in half (or less) ordering from the US it seems. In Vancouver I like Pacific Parts, 110 W 5th.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, that was fast! Enjoying Lordco?

Yeah, it's not too bad I guess.. hahaha. But we could possibly start a Lordco Acct for NPORA as its free to set up.. The more people use an account, the greater the discount you get. Though, if anyone here on NPORA is in the GVRD area, come down to the Lordco on Douglas Rd and see me, I will definitely hook up fellow NPORA members :)

Yeah, it's not too bad I guess.. hahaha. But we could possibly start a Lordco Acct for NPORA as its free to set up.. The more people use an account, the greater the discount you get. Though, if anyone here on NPORA is in the GVRD area, come down to the Lordco on Douglas Rd and see me, I will definitely hook up fellow NPORA members :)

haha nice to know. I'd be interested in helping start up an account.

I use my Mom's account when I go to Lordco, she works for the District of Maple Ridge. I have a friend who works at another Lordco and he's hooked me up in the past too. However I've recently been buying from NAPA because I've found it to be cheaper despite having the discount at Lordco (plus it's a 2 minute drive from home :D)

I'm always down to bring my business to a NPORA member though. Maybe PM me your name/when you tend to work and next time I need some parts I'll stop by.

• 7 months later...

B & J Parts & Machine in Port Coquitlam, BC :aok:

Made an acquaintance earlier this year. Seems like an excellent place to source parts with great service.

EDIT: Thanks heythurr! Hope your Lordco job is working out for you.

Edited by westslope

• 1 month later...

Curt class 3 receiver hitch at Lordco $230, Can Tire $179, NAPA $193 plus $25 shipping, local owned independent $173, other local independent $165. Guess I'l give my business to the local guys, the others just suck money out of the little guys pockets. Same with spark plugs, but Walmart was HALF the price of Lordco.

NOT impressed with Lordco's 'ask at the desk' for the items price BS. Just my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

coaster: Interesting. I tend to find Lordco more expensive than other shops.

How is the service of the local suppliers? With the big box stores like Crappy Tire you can take back and refund just about anything.... i.e., commit fraud if you wish.

coaster: Interesting. I tend to find Lordco more expensive than other shops.

How is the service of the local suppliers? With the big box stores like Crappy Tire you can take back and refund just about anything.... i.e., commit fraud if you wish.

If you take too many things back to CanTire you will get flagged in their system as a scammer or something. This happened to me and I didn't even do anything wrong. I just bought a lot of stuff and returned a very small fraction of it (broken, incorrect part etc.).