New Project Completed: painted speedo bezel

jpawela

I don't know if anyone else here has attempted this, but I decided to spruce up my speedo cluster with some color. I focused only on the bezel surrounding the gauges as that would give some nice depth within the cluster. This is an area I look at everyday, several times a day, and I wanted it to pop.

Here's the before:

100_4553.jpg

The after:

100_4560-1.jpg

The cluster removed in preparation for dismantling.

100_4551.jpg

I was able to pry the bezel and plastic window off with minimal fuss.

100_4555.jpg

100_4556.jpg

I thoroughly cleansed the bezel to make sure no dust was on the surface. Then I applied three light coats of some rattle-can gray spray paint (my brand was Valdspar but Rust-Oleum, or Krylon work great too) I had leftover from another project around the house. I didnt' see any point in priming since this won't be exposed to any moisture. I let it dry for a good 24 hours before putting everything back together.

100_4558.jpg

Again, here's the final product. If I were to do this again, I probably would have chosen a matte or stain gray rather then my simi-gloss. There was a "hammer-textured" gray spray paint at Lowes that looked kinda cool. I might try that on a dummy cluster I have lying around.

100_4560-1.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the way it came out. Comments, complaints, questions welcome.

I like it, but would use a flat gray myself. Something else I noticed about your dash, and I don't know if a topic has ever been started on this or not. Post creative ways to keep your keys from banging against the steering column cover.

Here's mine two felt glass table bump stoppers.

keys.jpg

I like it, but would use a flat gray myself. Something else I noticed about your dash, and I don't know if a topic has ever been started on this or not. Post creative ways to keep your keys from banging against the steering column cover.

keys.jpg

Mines a volume knob turned clockwise...don't hear a thing!

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Looks kinda close to matching the dash pad, could do the trim piece between the gauges and dash to make it look like one uniform piece too :shrug: . Turned out good though.

I thought about it, but first I wanted to see how this would look.

I'm going to try this soon. Maybe I'll try painting it white. Can you post a pic of it head on in the truck?

I'll try to get you one tomorrow when the lighting is better.

keys.jpg

I actually wanted to start with flat gray, but I didn't want to spend the $$ on new can of paint. So cheap, I know. The keys banging on the steering column drove me nuts so I cut some velcro (the soft side) to fit and stuck it on. 1-minute job tops!

(feels good to rub when you're waiting at stop lights, too!)

Edited by jpawela